• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Types of Plastic???

UK DG

By reading on here I have mainly just understood that the different types of plastic lead to better durability. Are there any other advantages to the premium plastics?

Also I was looking at getting a new Boss and Valkyrie, what is the difference in the Champion and Star plastics and which do you recommend?

See if you can try them yourself

It is best if you can try them out for yourself.

From the polls on DGCR Star is more popular than Champion, but I personally like the Champion plastic more.

The Champion is typically more stable than the Star and a little more durable.

One additional advantage of the Star plastic is that it is a solid color, like the Pro and DX, so you can get it in bright easy to find colors. I played last week in waist high grass and we spent hours in total looking for our brightly colored semitransparent Champion discs. Right then, I would have paid the extra money for a pink Star disc if there was a shop.

Yea, try them for yourself. I find Champion more durable and stable. Star has more grip.

I'm assuming you haven't been playing long so I'd recommend getting the Valk in Champion plastic. You should really start with something of a slower speed like a Champ Leopard, but if its between the Boss and the <insert any other driver> for a newbie, I'd say the latter.

Touch a Star plastic disc and a Champion plastic disc, now stroke it, rub it between your thumb and forefinger....
There, now you can feel the difference.
The Star is slightly more "grippy" especially when it's wet out (so get a towel and / or don't play in the rain with Champion plastic).

The premium plastics fly the way they do off the shelf for a longer period of time...some players think that a disc needs to be "beaten in" to get the flight characteristics they desire. Others prefer the way the disc flies immediately, and find it more difficult to control as it wears. Premium plastics are intended to wear less, thus last longer.

I'm assuming you haven't been playing long so I'd recommend getting the Valk in Champion plastic. You should really start with something of a slower speed like a Champ Leopard, but if its between the Boss and the <insert any other driver> for a newbie, I'd say the latter.

I have only been playing a couple of weeks and only have a Discraft Eclipse fairway driver Pro-D plastic and 167g as far as distance is concerned. I threw a Polaris LS 170g the other day though and where I have been throwing RHBH around 200' with my disc I threw that 250' and then I tried forehand throws for the first time and once I controlled it without turning it over from overthrowing it I sailed it around 350' so I was wanting to give a couple of faster discs a try. The Valkyrie and a TeeBird have been the two most suggested and so I was going to get a Valkyrie but I also wanted to get a boss to attempt in a practice field every now and then to see if I can throw it.

What about pro?

It is only slightly more durable than DX, but IMO, has much better grip.

Unfortunately, the type of plastic is not always the only difference between discs. I have owned all 4 plastic types of wraith, and the pro wraith that one that I love. I also throw a Firebird often into a headwind. Since I love my pro wraith, I got a pro plastic version of that one as well. The DX FireChicken has a completely flat top, but the pro plastic one I got has a domed top. It doesn't fly nearly as well as my DX. They are "supposedly" the same mold. :mad:

Caveat Emptor.

Latest posts