• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uli's walking putt

The problem is that step putting has proven by video evidence over and over to be illegal. Now do you want to continue to let something illegal be done or not?

Where is this video evidence? Produce it and maybe I can be convinced.

Some guys obviously release before the foot comes down, others are very close. Uly is very close. I have seen video of feldberg after he adopted the walking putt foot faulting, but only in the woods/tricky footing. His is not pushing the boundary the same.
I see more illegal jump putts with the guys who actually jump over their mini releasing with both feet off the ground.

Post 5 his heel is clearly on the ground.

I'm glad that Shwebby quit doing his as far as I've seen.
It looks good to me. He lands on his toes first, the heel doesn't hit until the disc is half way to the basket.

Some guys obviously release before the foot comes down, others are very close. Uly is very close. I have seen video of feldberg after he adopted the walking putt foot faulting, but only in the woods/tricky footing. His is not pushing the boundary the same.
I see more illegal jump putts with the guys who actually jump over their mini releasing with both feet off the ground.
Where's the evidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32aLPjJ5294#t=7m5s

Feldberg also claims to have switched to a more walk through putt after seeing video of himself foot faulting jump putting.

Sidewinder. Just cause I see it more often, doesn't mean its often. Its usually people trying to jump putt 160'. I will post a video next time. There was one I caught myself pausing recently, but I am not sure which one it even was. I have watched a lot of youtube lately.

Feldberg also claims to have switched to a more walk through putt after seeing video of himself foot faulting jump putting.

Sidewinder. Just cause I see it more often, doesn't mean its often. Its usually people trying to jump putt 160'. I will post a video next time. There was one I caught myself pausing recently, but I am not sure which one it even was. I have watched a lot of youtube lately.
Did they make the 160' "putt"? I don't think anyone gains anything by leaving the ground outside the putting circle. Try putting airborne, it's hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFUo-QO_Oa8
I think it was the putt at 24:54 I was thinking about. I cannot watch it at anything better than 240p at work so freeze frame is no good.

Either way, its not much different than walking putts. My personal stance is there is no reason to push the limit of the rule, especially for the minimal potential for gain.

No thats not 160', he sure looks like he is winding up for 160' though.

Did they make the 160' "putt"? I don't think anyone gains anything by leaving the ground outside the putting circle. Try putting airborne, it's hard.

Do I gain if I step on my disc throwing a second on a 800' hole? No, is it a foot fault. Yes

Are jumpshots hard in basketball? I agree there is little gain from releasing a mili-second before or after your toes leave the ground.

And yes I know generally you release the ball at the peak of momentum, just before your toes lift, while you are still generating power. That said it doesn't mean people don't shoot on their way up. Its not whether there is gain or not its whether the concrete rule (behind your lie or not) is being broken.
Would I ever call someone on it? no the instances are few and far between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFUo-QO_Oa8
I think it was the putt at 24:54 I was thinking about. I cannot watch it at anything better than 240p at work so freeze frame is no good.

Either way, its not much different than walking putts. My personal stance is there is no reason to push the limit of the rule, especially for the minimal potential for gain.
Can't see anything conclusive.

No thats not 160', he sure looks like he is winding up for 160' though.

Do I gain if I step on my disc throwing a second on a 800' hole? No, is it a foot fault. Yes

Are jumpshots hard in basketball? I agree there is little gain from releasing a mili-second before or after your toes leave the ground.

And yes I know generally you release the ball at the peak of momentum, just before your toes lift, while you are still generating power. That said it doesn't mean people don't shoot on their way up. Its not whether there is gain or not its whether the concrete rule (behind your lie or not) is being broken.
Would I ever call someone on it? no the instances are few and far between.
You said you seen people foot fault from 160'. I asked you if they made it. :confused:

Shots in bball helps to have a higher release and more upward momentum and also shooting airborne helps not being blocked. Now if all the baskets are raised to NBA height we might have an epidemic.

His release is definitely late. Watching worlds it was pretty clear several times. To those saying it doesn't prvide an advantage: I sure would like to move my marker a meter in on all my putts outside the circle. A simple solution for Ulli is to start his putt one step back so his landing foot is behind his marker. I just think it's embarrassing for one of the top players to be doing this atrociously offensive putt. It's like if Michael Jordan had sneaky little moves that went uncalled that gave him an advantage.

You said you seen people foot fault from 160'. I asked you if they made it. :confused:

Shots in bball helps to have a higher release and more upward momentum and also shooting airborne helps not being blocked. Now if all the baskets are raised to NBA height we might have an epidemic.

Why does it matter if it goes in? I agree its not the same thing, I am just trying to say that its not exclusive to one putting style vs another.

and for what its worth, seems conclusive to me. It was obvious enough in real time I felt the need to play it back.
Disc just at belt line, I am sure he is not releasing there. See mini under foot.
putt_zps539fc4d9.png

Disc is very close to hand if not in hand still when feet are 8" above ground.
putt1_zps64a55e96.png

and for what its worth, seems conclusive to me. It was obvious enough in real time I felt the need to play it back.
Disc just at belt line, I am sure he is not releasing there. See mini under foot.
putt_zps539fc4d9.png

Disc is very close to hand if not in hand still when feet are 8" above ground.
putt1_zps64a55e96.png
You can't tell if he released already or not, his body is obstructing the disc. He could have released much lower and the arm is just following through.

If people spent as much time practicing as they do analyzing Uli's putt, maybe Uli would be less dramatically better in every aspect of DG than them. I don't think a timing advantage that isn't even definitively visible in HD-quality video is what makes Uli a 1026-rated player.

This is absurd... The rule always seems to be interpreted as such, do what you please, just don't touch the ground ahead of your lie before you let go of the disc. For the people that wanna get rid of jump/ step putts, I don't bitch when your hand lets go of the disc IN FRONT of the lie. OH NO. You got an unfair advantage because your arms reach further than mine.

New rule! NO part of your body can cross the plane until the throw is all the way at rest. That way, you can freeze after you throw from a leaned back position, and your cardmates can study and measure your foot placement, with photographic evidence AND (1) doodle of the lie. You'll have to learn how to throw like Neo dodging bullets, but hey, at least no one can step-putt against you anymore!

As a step putter, if you release the disc too late w/ foot on ground, you're f***ing drunk. It is so much harder to step-put if you aren't STEPPING while doing it...

It's not that hard if you practice it: certainly no harder than jump-setting in volleyball (speaking from experience, as a former setter in college AND a jump-putter in the early 1980s, before getting involved in organized disc golf). Or a fall-away jumper or dipsy-doodle scoop in basketball.