• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Underrated discs

I like the idea of the thread, but respectfully disagree with this statement.

The Zone's one of those discs that's hard to be "on the fence" about. Either you like 'em or you don't. They're a relatively popular mold, and a good segment of the crowd likes them, but many of us simply don't like that much overstability in a putter. It's really all about preference, but I wouldn't say it is "underrated" - it gets a lot of praise from the not insignificant # of players who throw them, but it's simply not a disc for the masses.

That being said, Almost any unpopular mold could be considered underrated by someone who regularly throws and likes it. In their eyes, they can't understand why that mold isn't as popular as a Valk, or a Wizard.

Don't think of it as a putter. I don't know anyone that actually putts with them unless into a big headwind. Think of it as an overstable mid or approach disc since that is pretty much what everyone uses them as.

Heck, I've never even seen one. And I have been in a LOT of disc golf shops. Including Matshall St.

They fly like a perfectly seasoned eagle and the plastic feels great...holds durability for a long time as well

I totally agree on the XL.....I have also been loving up on my Surge SS lately. Its like the FLX XL but longer. I do not really see many others throw that either.

Irony. I just started throwing a Surge FLX ESP in the past month and its fast becoming my go-to disc.

I have a Discmania Gremlin that I absolutely love. It fits right between my TL and my Lat 64 pain in my bag, and I've never seen anyone else throwing it at my local course. I picked it up randomly and it has had a permanent place in my bag since. I guess the gremlin used to be under the Innova heading and now their sister company has it, and I'm glad they do.

I throw a vote out there for the Diamond - most big arms wouldn't give it a look, disc for babies and senior cirtizens, but I've thrown it side by side with Rivers, and I'll take the Diamond every time. It has the insane Lat 64 glide and is so easy to throw. And the opto plastic takes a beating and the disc doesn't get uber flippy.

S-line TD. You can throw any line with it, it's great for longer holes in the woods. Very easy to control.

Blaze, Pearl and Polecat. I see some love for the blaze occasionally, but not much if any for the pearl and polecat.

people I know in real life hugely underrate the BB aviar variations... in fact most don't understand that they are different than the P&A.

Banshee has a permanent place in my bag, very predictable, workable disc for a huge range of shots. don't see a lot of people using these. firebirds usually take the overstable slot for people who throw alot of innova. I carry banshees and fb's for slightly different purposes.

Blaze, Pearl and Polecat. I see some love for the blaze occasionally, but not much if any for the pearl and polecat.

The polecat's rim is just way to big for some people. It's the reason I got rid of mine. I loved the flight characteristics of it but the rim kept making me miss shots. I ended up getting the Gateway Magic. Same flight characteristics, no obnoxious big rim.

I'm going to agree with the Shark. I was gifted a Star Shark 169g and it is my favorite mid. They get lost under the shadow of the roc so much but I like the feel of the shark over the roc.

Pro Leopard. After a round or two of beating it hits the sweet spot and stays there for a long time. Perfect speed rating, it's so easy to power up (for hyzerflips and turnovers) or down. Not too nose angle sensitive, perfect for newbies and experienced players :clap:

Another underrated disc is the Cro... It's extremely reliable and seems more durable than typical Dx plastic...Very much a multi use disc...

I just got a Cro in the mail. Been busy so haven't gotten to really throw it but the plastic is awesome. I was going to get on a thread and ask about it. Feels like Pro or R-Pro plastic but softer. Really grippy and almost buttery. And the stamp is awesomesauce.

SL: Easy to control, not to fast, and some easy distance.

I second this. It's pretty forgiving too, and has decent high speed stability without being fading too much when it slows down. The pre flight number runs in Star are crazy durable too. I have one that's hit a tree about 50 times that could pass for 9.5/10.

I think the MD2 is the best midrange on the market, but they are hard to find in D and the crappy domey C-line run destroyed their credibility with those that never got to throw a nice flat one. Anyone that had a bad C-Line should buy a P or S line and you will quickly forgive and forget. Sneaky long, good in a headwind, and can hold every line.