• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable fairway driver

dmoore1998

Eagle Member
Looking for recommendations on an understable fairway driver without much/any fade back to left.

Played a course this weekend with TONS of left to right doglegs. Worked ok because I have a very beat in 20 year old base plastic Polaris LS that turns right and mostly keeps turning without much fade. Realized that's about the only disc in my bag that will do that (and it's getting pretty beat up). Everything else understable is mostly a distance driver like an Innova Mamba. Looking for something with less speed that I can still turn on a right dogleg.

I understand the answer might be "nothing" and I'll just have to beat in some base plastic (open to ideas for that as well).

Have a Discraft Heat in Z plastic that isn't beat in enough to stay going right without flattening out relatively quickly.

All the Rivers I've thrown just turn right, and never fade back. They might have some slight finish to them when new, but beat in pretty quickly, especially if goldline.

Discraft Archer or MVP signal. Both are speed 6ish although the archer really feels a lot more like a midrange. The Sting feels more like a fairway driver, but you might need to beat it a tad to get the "no fade" you're looking for.

Discraft Archer or MVP signal. Both are speed 6ish although the archer really feels a lot more like a midrange. The Sting feels more like a fairway driver, but you might need to beat it a tad to get the "no fade" you're looking for.

Interesting answers. I got an Archer in about a week ago, definitely felt like it was a bit more midrange but still working with it. Got a Signal in the mail today, FEELS like what I'm looking for in that it feels like a driver but still fairly low speed.

Everything else understable is mostly a distance driver like an Innova Mamba. Looking for something with less speed that I can still turn on a right dogleg.

I'd say you're on the right track based on this statement. It took me years to realize that hard turning distance drivers do more harm than good.

For shots that I need to finish right, I typically throw a Hatchet for 275'-310', a Tursas for 225'-275', and I forehand something overstable for anything shorter than that (I have a horrible forehand and can only controllably sidearm 200' and in).

Last edited:
Lost my edit window. One more point --

Don't be afraid to throw a putter dead straight rather than trying to perfectly flip an understable disc to turn at just the right time. Sometimes laying up to the end of the dogleg can still give you a C2 putt for birdie, while taking away the high risk miss. Turning just a little bit too early or a little bit too late can leave you in a big mess, depending on how thick the rough is where you play.

I'd say you're on the right track based on this statement. It took me years to realize that hard turning distance drivers do more harm than good.

For shots that I need to finish right, I typically throw a Hatchet for 275'-310', a Tursas for 225'-310', and I forehand something overstable for anything shorter than that (I have a horrible forehand and can only controllably sidearm 200' and in).

I certainly still like my Mamba, I just can't throw it through a tight window and finish it right...it's got so much glide that it inevitably finishes back left for too long. My forehand is mostly non-existent other than getting out of trouble...and it certainly isn't accurate enough to thread the needle on the holes I ended up throwing my LS on at the course this weekend.

I certainly still like my Mamba, I just can't throw it through a tight window and finish it right...it's got so much glide that it inevitably finishes back left for too long. My forehand is mostly non-existent other than getting out of trouble...and it certainly isn't accurate enough to thread the needle on the holes I ended up throwing my LS on at the course this weekend.

That sounds like the shot shape that you want from a distance driver, regardless of what the printed numbers are on top of the disc. I throw Trespasses as my distance drivers which others call flippy but for me are just right. You do you, whether you're throwing a Mamba or PD2 or something inbetween.

My point is that it took me far too long looking for a distance driver that I could get to finish to the right, which was the wrong thing to be looking for. Anything that is that fast and also that flippy is just going to be a nightmare to dial in. I really think a Roadrunner or Hatchet or something in that speed class is the fastest flippy disc that most players need.

Not sure if it's too fast, but a DX Valkyrie is pretty flippy especially after the first few tree hits.

A champ Leopard has come back into my bag to fill that slot. I'd like to try a Comet or Meteor.

Someone mentioned the River and the Hatchet already. I'll also throw a vote for the Underworld. I recently experimented with a Streamline Drift and it is very much like a River but feels better in the hand to me.

Interesting answers. I got an Archer in about a week ago, definitely felt like it was a bit more midrange but still working with it. Got a Signal in the mail today, FEELS like what I'm looking for in that it feels like a driver but still fairly low speed.

I only have AR (Ace Race) archers and I think I bought the signal for the same reason as you. I was looking for something a bit longer that could be thrown on a consistent turnover line without overworking it.
The AR archer felt a lot like the older sibling to the AR sol. The sol is slower, but it's not hard to hit the speed that makes the archer turn over. I want to like the archer, but my results are mixed due to bad form consistency on that shot and a lot of my throws with the archer turn over too fast (OAT is my guess) and become rollers. The archer flies nice and straight with a soft throw and there's a wide range of low to mid power use you can get from one.
The signal, on the other hand, is less friendly in that regard. It's a speed 6 and doesn't respond well to slower throws. I feel like the controlled hyzerflip is easier to manipulate with the signal and it rides nice and straight before gently turning over. If you want the turnover line with the signal, you have to give it the snap it needs to stay stable long enough or you'll turn and burn it really quickly. Between the archer and the signal, I get more consistent results with the signal.

Now that all said, it's rare that I use the signal for anything that isn't an open field hyzerflip turnover, and in tighter spaces, I'm keen on riding a teensy anhyzer line with a G-star mako. Super easy to control, great glide, effortless. Def not a fairway driver, but serves my purpose well and I think we might be in a similar boat.

Looking for recommendations on an understable fairway driver without much/any fade back to left.

Played a course this weekend with TONS of left to right doglegs. Worked ok because I have a very beat in 20 year old base plastic Polaris LS that turns right and mostly keeps turning without much fade. Realized that's about the only disc in my bag that will do that (and it's getting pretty beat up). Everything else understable is mostly a distance driver like an Innova Mamba. Looking for something with less speed that I can still turn on a right dogleg.

I understand the answer might be "nothing" and I'll just have to beat in some base plastic (open to ideas for that as well).

Have a Discraft Heat in Z plastic that isn't beat in enough to stay going right without flattening out relatively quickly.

My advice - get a DX eagle and beat the crap out of it. A beat dx eagle is the best slow turning fairway driver I've ever thrown. I also have a base plastic Polaris LS and I use it for exactly the shot you are describing, but DX Eagles are easier to find

My advice - get a DX eagle and beat the crap out of it. A beat dx eagle is the best slow turning fairway driver I've ever thrown. I also have a base plastic Polaris LS and I use it for exactly the shot you are describing, but DX Eagles are easier to find

In case you are looking, infinite discs has about 50 Polaris LS x-outs. I just ordered a few, but yes, hard to find.

A champ Leopard has come back into my bag to fill that slot. I'd like to try a Comet or Meteor.

Meteor is definitely a bit more midrange. Still workin through archer and meteor to see which I like more in that slot. Archer keeps heading right, at risk of flipping...still trying to get it right to not flip it into the ground. Meteor flattens out a bit more at the end IMO.

Meteor is definitely a bit more midrange. Still workin through archer and meteor to see which I like more in that slot. Archer keeps heading right, at risk of flipping...still trying to get it right to not flip it into the ground. Meteor flattens out a bit more at the end IMO.

Not sure that it's what you're looking for, but since you brought up the Meteor....it's a fun disc. I haven't thrown it on the course at all but a lot in the field and it's pretty close to that magical Comet stability with the hand feel of a Buzzz.