• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midrange for nice little turnover shots?

Mint Lobster. The current run of Sublime is fantastic

MVP - Uplink
Latitude 64 (Trilogy) - Fuse
Discraft - Meteor or Sol
Clash - Peach

I threw in the Clash Discs Peach because that's what I've been using in that slot. It's a bit slower, but if you like the ESP-type plastics, you'll love the feel of Clash's Steady plastic. It feels amazing.

2nd the Lobster
Strong 2nd the Uplink (I bag 3, from neutral to very flippy)

I use an XT Mako3 for this slot and I probably only throw it once per round. It's 5/5/0/0, but the XT plastic beats in quickly. A new max weight one may not turn enough right away, but you have more power than I do so who knows. It'll be flippy much faster than beating in a Roc, which is also a great option.

I'll second the Kastaplast Svea. Nice glidy turnover shots and great plastic. They mostly come domey though, so might not be good for buttery forehands. Get it in K1 and it will last forever.

I use an XT Mako3 for this slot and I probably only throw it once per round. It's 5/5/0/0, but the XT plastic beats in quickly. A new max weight one may not turn enough right away, but you have more power than I do so who knows. It'll be flippy much faster than beating in a Roc, which is also a great option.
An XT Mako3 is a great choice, I used to bag them and would still be bagging them if I hadn't realized that I much prefer shallow, narrower diameter mids.

Which midrange you recommend to this kind of an understable midrange slot?
Little basic info for me and my throwing power, i can throw a grace for somewhere about 400', but i have developed armspeed and distance quite fast and i off course hope that the learning curve stays like it is now, i know, i know, it won't, but lets still hope so.

I had Discmanias Origin in Neo plastic, this disc had a flight numbers of 5,5,-1,1, but i think, and so thinks everyone else who are thrown this disc that its turn is more of a -2 or at least -1.5. I'll give an example for you: Buzz had flight numbers of 5,4,-1,1, so it is like Origin but had less glide, which is true but it is also a lot, and i mean a lot of more overstable than origin is.

But let's get back to business. I throw my dear Origin to tree couple weeks ago and i think that it is still there and propably will be forever.

So which midrange is what you recommend for this slot. I like nowadays to throw Mvp, Trilogys stuff and maybe Discraft also but then plastic has to be Esp, Z is kind of too hard and glass like, and this is true for all of the Z plastics.

I'm thinking myself that i just can buy a new Origin, but variety is a spice for life, so i'm taking recommendations to a disc for this slot.

I don't need this kind of understable midrange very much, but in my home course there is a kind of short hole which absolutely screams for a backhand turnover,and it is so short that if throw my most understable fairway driver to it, it will be at least 45 feet too long, because i had a f5 as my most understable fairway driver and it will not turn if you just throw it too soft. So i need a midrange for this shot, fairway is a 280' long, and i don't like to throw turnovers with putters at least not in this hole because it has low hanging branches just 30' from teepad and a putter turnover shot needs inevitably more height to it compared to a midrange.
I use a maverick for this shot. Even at low power it will keep turning right if given a bit of anny.

So you have a ton of recommendations here.

Remember too that flight numbers are more relevant when comparing within a brand than across brands. Just for example, because the gang at Latitude 64 brought out both, you can be pretty sure that the Claymore has a touch more finishing fade than the Fuse. But you really don't know how the Fuse compares to the Svea or the Evidence - because discs flights are not assigned on some universal constant.

If you have any stores nearby, go hold as many as you can. In my experience, the feels are really different. For example, the Comet, the Uplink and the Meteor all feel different, even though their flight numbers are similar.

Give us an update!

Which midrange you recommend to this kind of an understable midrange slot?
Little basic info for me and my throwing power, i can throw a grace for somewhere about 400', but i have developed armspeed and distance quite fast and i off course hope that the learning curve stays like it is now, i know, i know, it won't, but lets still hope so.

I had Discmanias Origin in Neo plastic, this disc had a flight numbers of 5,5,-1,1, but i think, and so thinks everyone else who are thrown this disc that its turn is more of a -2 or at least -1.5. I'll give an example for you: Buzz had flight numbers of 5,4,-1,1, so it is like Origin but had less glide, which is true but it is also a lot, and i mean a lot of more overstable than origin is.

But let's get back to business. I throw my dear Origin to tree couple weeks ago and i think that it is still there and propably will be forever.

So which midrange is what you recommend for this slot. I like nowadays to throw Mvp, Trilogys stuff and maybe Discraft also but then plastic has to be Esp, Z is kind of too hard and glass like, and this is true for all of the Z plastics.

I'm thinking myself that i just can buy a new Origin, but variety is a spice for life, so i'm taking recommendations to a disc for this slot.

I don't need this kind of understable midrange very much, but in my home course there is a kind of short hole which absolutely screams for a backhand turnover,and it is so short that if throw my most understable fairway driver to it, it will be at least 45 feet too long, because i had a f5 as my most understable fairway driver and it will not turn if you just throw it too soft. So i need a midrange for this shot, fairway is a 280' long, and i don't like to throw turnovers with putters at least not in this hole because it has low hanging branches just 30' from teepad and a putter turnover shot needs inevitably more height to it compared to a midrange.
I use a Buzzz SS for most of my turnovers, but if you need something that you can throw every so lightly and still have it turn, the meteor is where it's at.

I like a prime (base plastic ) truth for a controllable mid. It's shallower than a buzz IMO
And comparable to a roc. So a truth or a roc get my vote.

In all my my years of throwing understable mids the tp Tursas is my favorite.
The rim of the Tursas is wider than most understable mids which is more comfortable for me.

Latest posts