• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understanding The Throw

When I throw my R-pro Dart I can consistently get 175 ft. laser straight. I'm starting to think I should just worry about accuracy instead of distance, the 4 finger grip is messing up my throw. They are starting to carry far to the right and never come back.

Don't worry about doing a grip that someone else tells you is good. Unless they are your hand-twin, you should be gripping with what feels comfortable to you. And yes, accuracy pays bigger dividends than distance.

If you don't have a sidewinder or roadrunner to try a hyzer flip, do it with your putter. If you put a lot of speed on a putter it will dive with an anhyzer, just put a lot of hyzer on it and it will level. I use this quite a lot with a putter if a midrange will just go too far or skip past.

Also another grip to try is quite hard to explain but can increase grip ( as well as calouses)
I'll do my best to explain it

hold hand out like you are going to shake hands with someone
bring index finger in at ~90 degree angle.
place the thumb underneath your index finger
place your thumb with index finger on the top/flight plate of the disc
curl the three remaining fingers underneath the disc and grip the rim.

This grip allows for tons of snap and can be used for better grip when it's wet. A friend of mine also switched it around a little bit and throws it forehand as well with that grip style.

Will all depend on the size of the lip on the disc, and on the size of your hands if it's comfortable.

I see other people do the hyzer->anhyzer flip quite often. I've seen the RoadRunner released at what looks like a 30 degree hyzer (left edge of the disc is down 30 degrees) and the spin moves it to level or anhyzer in about 50-75 ft. I don't have any discs of my own that do this (my 150 teebird seems to a little) but am going to get a Sidewinder to try.

Where does Launch Angle fit in? It seems to me that I have a very narrow window before the disc "balloons" and starts hard sideways. My longest throws rarely exceed 6-10' off the ground? Advice on disc level and angle at release for maximum distance?

I am a RHBH disc golfer who has been playing for a year and a half. There for a while I was gaining distance consistently but now it seems as though I've peaked at about 325 ft. dead straight and with little fade. In an attempt to better understand the game I went to the PIAS Open this past weekend in Crowley.

I watched a couple of pros throw and was impressed by their throws. I noticed that most of their throws went way to the right and then came back into play 450+ ft. away. I started talking with a pro and he told me that throwing it hard right like they did would get me the most distance.

In my mind this didn't compute. I couldn't and still don't understand how throwing way to the right and letting the disc fade back in, made the disc go farther. Is there an easier way to break this down to a more simple level?

I was also told that my 3 finger grip was limiting my distance and that I needed to switch to 4 fingers and pre-load the disc by cocking my wrist. I've been practicing this and I've been able to rip a couple way out there. The only problem is my Force and Surge never comes back into play, even when I throw them out there on a hard hyzer.

I have been able to gain distance on my Wildcat, Reaper, and Avenger. However, now when I throw my Avenger SS it dies out quick and fades hard left. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post but I'm full of questions.

..good post

Latest posts