• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unreachable Uphill Drives

I haven't tried lighter.

As many have said, more understable with more glide is generally more better. I'd recommend lower speed as well. For me, Comet, Leopard, Relay are the ones that get thrown on steep, steady uphills along the whole fairway or length of my throw. If it's a gentle uphill slope, or if there's initial flat then uphill (or uphill then flat), then I'll increase speed a bit. I've had success with Valkyrie, Beast, and Tern in this situation.

I don't think discs glide uphill, they don't really reach that phase of flight gliding downward/nose down, instead discs going uphill reach abrupt stall and drop with no turn or fade. It's mostly just high speed inertial phase wing projectile aerodynamics, you want lowest profile/most aerodynamic/least drag driver thrown as fast as possible on straight trajectory and lighter discs typically go faster.

Throwing downhill is the opposite mids glide out much further than drivers. Drivers will either turnover into nose dive or they just fade hard, they don't glide straight/true on their nose. Heavier discs also glide straighter on their nose and mids typically weight more than drivers. Spin is also more important.

If I'm throwing uphill I want the most distance I can possibly get. That generally means throwing my G* Shryke. The course I play has 1 uphill hole where you can throw as hard/far as you want with practically zero chance of going OB or losing the disc. I most often just hammer the Shryke and try to flex it out as much as possible. What I like about the Shryke uphill is that its understable enough that it won't often stall out.

Moral of the story is, if I'm throwing long and uphill I want a disc that has good glide and is understable. Something to get as much distance as possible. Nuke SSs work for that shot too, as mentioned.

Throwing downhill is the opposite mids glide out much further than drivers. Drivers will either turnover into nose dive or they just fade hard, they don't glide straight/true on their nose. Heavier discs also glide straighter on their nose and mids typically weight more than drivers. Spin is also more important.
I don't think think I actually realized this, but it's consistent with my years of observation.