• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uphill shots

if you have a blizzard disc, it is not a bad idea to take a lighter weight and thow uphill. but that depends on distance. if you are talking 300-500 feet then blizzard would be good. but height equals more power.

The area where I live is very flat, so I don't get much practice throwing either uphill or downhill. When I play at courses away from my area, though, the long uphill holes are difficult for me. I'm throwing pretty light discs.

Aim higher than normal and compensate for the extra over stability uphill shots add by throwing with less hyzer, throwing a ligher disc, or a more understable mold. For example if you normally throw a buzz for a 200' flat hole, consider a meteor for a 180' uphill hole.

Also keep in mind if a hole is 300' long and 15' uphill, it will play more like ~350' than 300'.

For me, it helps to crouch down much lower than my normal shot stance. Seems to provide more potential for exploding out and up to get that thing up the hill.

I like using something stable to under stable( not overstable), thrown flat or on an Anny.
If its a short steep hill, same concept but like to use putters or mids, they get up higher a lot quicker than a fairway or distance driver.

Definitely use something stable/understable. I guess it is related to the nose up release angle, but throwing an overstable disc uphill just accentuates the fade, whereas an understable disc thrown well up a hill will go much straighter than usual. For example, from the blue tee on hole one http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=1089&p=e0379a2d at Wellspring I flip up an Archon on a smooth hyzer shot and it flips up and finishes straight. This same Archon almost always finishes pretty far right, but here the ground rises up and catches it.

fnords hit the nail on the head. An overstable disc seems to take forever to stop flying because it will come back down hill when it fades. Took me a while to understand that.

Lots of different techniques. If you can reach it, and the line is available, a spike hyzer is a good option. If it's a hill and plateau, a flex shot is a good option. Tomahawks and thumbers are good options. Rollers work.

The tricky part is understanding how your discs are going to fly throwing uphill. Just imagine the hill isn't there. Because your disc doesn't know it is until it lands.

Definitely use something stable/understable. I guess it is related to the nose up release angle, but throwing an overstable disc uphill just accentuates the fade, whereas an understable disc thrown well up a hill will go much straighter than usual. For example, from the blue tee on hole one http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=1089&p=e0379a2d at Wellspring I flip up an Archon on a smooth hyzer shot and it flips up and finishes straight. This same Archon almost always finishes pretty far right, but here the ground rises up and catches it.

Pretty well explained for all to understand. :thmbup:

big difference between throwing up a hill from a stance on the downward slope vs a flat tee facing the hill. Your weight transfer will be off throwing from a slanted hillside and requires a more sideways run-up with earlier release and flippy disc. throwing from a flat tee onto a hill is much differenent and the distance as well as other course factors come into play. A shorter 300' uphill then ill throw an OS putter/mid right at it while 500'+ its US and flipppy with a 2nd shot never running up the hill. always throw with the slope of the upward grade.

I use a slightly under stable disc and hyzer flip it. It allows me to put as much power as I want on the throw and get a nice straight flight up the hill.

I use more understable molds and faster discs when throwing uphill.

Depending on the elevation you have an extra 20 to 30ft added to the hole just because of elevation.

Throw anny vs hyzer for uphill? Huh, that doesn't make sense, throw the same shot just throw it higher and more to the left or the right. Shot type is irrelevant for throwing uphill, just alter your trajectory.

A general rule of thumb is to aim your trajectory to the top of the hill and a few feet further right or left and throw a longer disc. If you would throw buzz 300 flat, then get to a 330 uphill shot, throw a teebird or something faster to "club up."

Agree with most that often, a little less stability than on a level shot is the best bet, if what you're looking for is more distance uphill.

w/r/t uphill shots from an uphill lie (vs. level tee pad...) If you have a good FH or thumber/overhead shot, sometimes I find these easier to execute from an upward sloping lie, rather than BH, which is my predominate.

The best thing is to find some hill, any hill, where you can practice some shots to see how they behave in that situation.

On some shorter holes with bigger elevation changes it might be worth considering a spike hyzer, too. It's a very controllable shot that's easy to get more elevation on.

I throw a stable disc with good glide. Been favoring my teebird for a local hole that is 300' with maybe 80' uphill. Then I let my natural poor form take over. It results in a straight nose up high angle shot that zooms right up to the top of the hill.

Does anybody consider disc weight when throwing uphill? I bag a 150 Champ Leo I only use for one hole that is uphill on my local course.