• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

man I'm jealous of this

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108962

http://www.jerseydevildiscs.com

its like $116 for The Shift, $199 for the Rebel, and $70 for the Focus.

i don't know if its free shipping, I tried going through the checkout process for fun and it looks like its free shipping, if not its basically free shipping with the normal prices then (which saves you compared to ordering a single bag direct from UPD).

its ending on september 2nd though.

great savings either way from that seller... i bought an echo star tee bird and gstar avian with free shipping for about $22 with the 25% off all discs code.

That is a sweet deal.

Alright, the discount and the free shipping were enough to finally get me off the fence. I just ordered the Shift in green. That really is a great deal!

Had my Shift out for a round over the weekend and was very pleased, it is very lightweight and comfortable. I like the layout of the discs, and there is plenty of storage space in the main pocket for me since I don't carry too much stuff with me. I had previously used a DIY backpack and there is just no comparison - the Shift is infinitely better. For people who carry a ton of discs the Shift is going to be too small, but I only carry 14 discs and this bag is perfect for that number.

Also should mention that Jersey Devil Discs were great to deal with. I placed my order on Tuesday and the bag was at my house when I got home from work on Thursday. I will definitely place orders with them in the future!

Thanks for the love guys! We love Upper Park Designs just as much as you all do!

Personally, I just made the switch from the Ergo2 to the Rebel. I am EXTREMELY happy I did so.

30 discs in the Rebel no problem? No way I said. Guess again! And that's mostly putters and mids.
This thing eats discs. 25 comfortably in the main compartment with wiggle room. Putter pocket is only for 2.

Add space for extra clothing, food, perfectly placed water pockets, and compartmentalized storage. These bags have it all. I can say the same for the storage space in the Shift...very generous.

Fantastic bags. You can see why I only carry them ;)

Question for anyone who has the new Focus. Do you think if you attached something on the front to hold a water bottle it would allow it to stand when you sit it down. I was considering getting this for a light duty bag but I don't care for water bladders and really want it to be able to stand up.

I attached the Nutsac bottle holder to the side of the bag with snaps and now my sac stands upright pretty good. Was hoping I could get similar results with the Focus. Just need to know how the bag is balanced on its own. If it falls towards the disc side I think it would work.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Question for anyone who has the new Focus. Do you think if you attached something on the front to hold a water bottle it would allow it to stand when you sit it down. I was considering getting this for a light duty bag but I don't care for water bladders and really want it to be able to stand up.

I attached the Nutsac bottle holder to the side of the bag with snaps and now my sac stands upright pretty good. Was hoping I could get similar results with the Focus. Just need to know how the bag is balanced on its own. If it falls towards the disc side I think it would work.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

There are two loops of webbing that hold the top and bottom of the bungee cord in place. Those would be your best bet for attaching anything. The bag does tend to fall towards the disc side, but I think it would be difficult to balance with a water bottle. You would probably need to attach at least a 32 oz Nalgene to gain any stability. A square Nalgene would work best if you could make that happen.

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking I would attach a holder to. It would hold a 32 or 40 oz bottle. It might not work if the bottle becomes too empty during a round, but it might be worth a try. I wish there were a retailer close so I could check it out first hand.

I know this question was asked, but after reading through I didn't see a response. How are the pockets on the Rebel for carrying a jacket or fleece? Often needed, here in the frozen north.

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking I would attach a holder to. It would hold a 32 or 40 oz bottle. It might not work if the bottle becomes too empty during a round, but it might be worth a try. I wish there were a retailer close so I could check it out first hand.

FWIW I cinched a nalgene down in the bungee area just to see how it would stand up on the floor and it was not very stable, especially with discs in it. I wouldn't count on it to stand up out in the field on a regular basis. I'm sure you could make it more sturdy with a permanent attachment, but it's gonna need a lot of help.

FWIW I cinched a nalgene down in the bungee area just to see how it would stand up on the floor and it was not very stable, especially with discs in it. I wouldn't count on it to stand up out in the field on a regular basis. I'm sure you could make it more sturdy with a permanent attachment, but it's gonna need a lot of help.
Thanks for trying that. Was the bottle touching the ground when you sat the bag down? It would be so awesome if you could make a type of kickstand for it. Like ball golf bags have when you sit them down the legs pop out. I love the Focus as a simple small bag but I'm not sure if I like the idea of always laying it down on the ground. Has it been a PIA or problem for you at all?

Thanks for trying that. Was the bottle touching the ground when you sat the bag down? It would be so awesome if you could make a type of kickstand for it. Like ball golf bags have when you sit them down the legs pop out. I love the Focus as a simple small bag but I'm not sure if I like the idea of always laying it down on the ground. Has it been a PIA or problem for you at all?

It's pretty tippy even with the bottle touching the ground, but it's really only as big of a deal as you make it. It's no different from reaching down to grab a disc. Overall, I have no problems with this bag. I've been using it for a couple of months now and I'm sure it will continue to serve me well in the future.

I know this question was asked, but after reading through I didn't see a response. How are the pockets on the Rebel for carrying a jacket or fleece? Often needed, here in the frozen north.

I haven't had to put a hoodie or heavier jacket in there yet (Texas), but I did put a light rain jacket in one side no problem. I am sure a sweatshirt/medium weight jacket will fit, but it might push in on the main compartment a little. I am way overdue for my video review of the Rebel, but I will try hoodie/med jacket in the side pocket.

I've only used the Shift for three rounds so far but I'm diggin' it. I'll wait to go over everything but two negatives I've come across so far:

- Back support may poke through where the mini pocket is (already been brought up)
- Putting a second disc back in the higher mesh pocket can be a pain due to the zipper/outside material having no support. It curls under for lack of a better term and I have to hold onto the zipper with one hand (applying pressure) in order to slide the disc in with my other. For reference I only carry one putter in the lower mesh and two drivers in the higher ones - so it's not like my bags stuffed full. *not a big deal though*

Overall I'm very happy with this and will write a full review after another dozen or so rounds.
(may take a while, been super busy):popcorn:

- Putting a second disc back in the higher mesh pocket can be a pain due to the zipper/outside material having no support. It curls under for lack of a better term and I have to hold onto the zipper with one hand (applying pressure) in order to slide the disc in with my other. For reference I only carry one putter in the lower mesh and two drivers in the higher ones - so it's not like my bags stuffed full. *not a big deal though*

it took me a while to figure out the way to organize my "outside 8" discs in the outside mesh pockets. here's what I've learned works best for me:

I put my midrange discs (comet and roc3) and putters (2 aviars gstar and DX) on one side and my fairway drivers (TL and Teebird) and distance drivers (two wraiths) on the other side.

my midrange discs go on the upper outside mesh pocket, and the putters on the lower. I found that the lower mesh pockets have more space/larger opening so sliding in a fatter putter from behind is a lot easier compared to a mid/fairway/distance disc.

I do three putters in the top. Four mids in the bottom two inside pockets. Then three control drivers and two max d drivers on one side, 5 fairways on the other, for a total of 17. 5 drivers split 3/2 on either side works like a charm.

People with a Rebel backpack how do you like it? What are the pros and cons? Thinking about picking one up

People with a Rebel backpack how do you like it? What are the pros and cons? Thinking about picking one up

Love it.

Pros:
Light weight
Awesome padding
Straps don't slip
Top handle is sturdy
Feet on bottom
Rain fly is best in class
Easily holds 22 or 14 (removable dividers help)
Side pockets big enough - not too big and sagging
Best standing bag EVAR (no tips or spills to date)

Cons:
I keep the straps pretty tight to keep it high on my back and if I have tall water bottles in there, it can be a wee bit awkward to put the bag on.
Rainfly was a tan color, not black like the website pics
Bottom vertical pocket is a bit snug (best solution I found: 2 putters in top slot, putter/mid and go-to driver in middle slot, utility disc in bottom slot - in my case a Resistor which is very low profile). I can get any disc in and out with one hand.
Not huge amount of storage for extra clothes/etc (I carry at least 2 extra towels with me and have plenty of room for snacks, wallet, keys, phone, etc, but it would be a bit snug with a hoodie/large jacket in a side pocket. light rain jacket is no problem though)

Pulled the trigger on an orange Shift thanks in part to this thread, pretty damn excited.

For the Shift owners out there, do you actually use the mesh side pockets on the inside of the main compartment? If so, is there room to stand up a disc on each side, or is it more suited for stashing wallet/beef jerkey/smokes/etc.?

Pulled the trigger on an orange Shift thanks in part to this thread, pretty damn excited.

For the Shift owners out there, do you actually use the mesh side pockets on the inside of the main compartment? If so, is there room to stand up a disc on each side, or is it more suited for stashing wallet/beef jerkey/smokes/etc.?

You can absolutely stash a disc vertically in each inside mesh pocket. Sometimes I do that. Usually I just stash the loose end of my clipped on towel in one side and odds and ends in teh other. But I tend to have 5 drivers on the outside on each side.

Latest posts