• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

having had both the Grip C-14 and the UPD The Shift for a while I have to say that the Shift is the better value and smarter design.

the Shifts' inherent advantage is that it has so much more storage compared to the C-14, but is actually a less bulky bag.

15641775227_f5400d7f36_c.jpg

The way the disc storage/slots work is so flexible (the outside 4 pockets can hold 8 but also have the ability to easily hold 12 - three in each pocket). The inside pockets can hold 6 easy, but you can easily fit 8 or even nine spread out in the three slots. So you have the ability to carry 15 discs but also go up to 20 discs if you want (and thats not even using the main storage compartment yet).

Then there is the bulk non-disc storage. You can easily fit a large thick hoodie in the storage. I've fitted a shell and a down hooded jacket in the storage space. More water? There are even side nets to hold things securely that act like internal side pockets (so you can hold your extra beverages/stuff in the side to have the middle larger storage remain intact) so you can put at least 48oz MORE of your favorite beverage in the main storage and a hoodie. The side pockets attached to the shoulder straps can hold your valuables (keys wallet cellphone and little things like a small bug spray bottle/balm/ect).

The 2nd biggest advantage, which is difficult to prove, since there are probably a low amount of people who have had a chance to use both bags extensively is that the Shift is a more comfortable bag to use compared to the Grip C-14. With the Shift the discs are located on the outside and upper part of the inside of the bag. The side pockets act as stabilizers as well as smart storage. So essentially its just a nice backpack with smart/evenly distributed disc storage layout. The shift is almost a half pound lighter (because there are fewer rigid plastic panels). Its personal but I think that the shift is a more comfortable bag having used one compared to the Grip C-14 for multiple rounds).

I bet that the Shift owners in this thread can attest to the comfort of the bag over a prolonged period of time.

The other big advantage that is more personal for me is that I like how understated the logo/labels are on the UPD bags. I blacked out my Grip logos because it was a bit much/gaudy for me. I'll freely admit that the Grip C-14 or even their A series bags are great looking bags (sexier bags than their competition if you will), and would be even without the large "look at me!" logo prominently plastered not only the main panel in the front, but even the side's drink pockets.

Some disadvantages the Shift bag has compared to the Grip C-14?

The material on the C-14 seems more robust. Grip uses what feels like luggage grade material (which likely adds to the weight).

The integrated top/quick handle into the back straps works better for quickly picking up your bag to move to a nearby tee (there's a great handle on the shift, but it often collapses or gets stuffed/caught behind the main flap or top discs in the top slot of the inner storage).

The bottom of the shift only has three feet which work good, but you could easily bulk it up by using a longer bumper/rail system like grip's or other bags.

As of now the Grip C-14 has an available excellent rainfly (sold separately). The shift doesn't.

Some players still like the straightforward disc storage accessibility of the grip bags. Sometimes I have my discs organized neatly in my shift per area/storage pockets then I'm in a little hurry and I start putting discs back into different pockets and it turns into a whole jambalaya of discs to where I sometimes forget I had a better disc for a specific situation (the grip has the putter quiver and all your discs right there).

Overall the Shift has to be the best/most versatile/best value bag out there if you want to hold 14-18 discs have space for a jacket/hoodie/beverages/even more discs. Its super comfortable, light, and functional. You have a lot of options with the Shift, but the Grip there seems to be more compromise.

Last edited:
I had the original Shift, which was fine in its own right, but I always felt the inner part of the bag was too deep but cramped, making the bottom four discs a little inconvenient to get at, especially if I needed to carry items down there as well. This redesign, along with the Focus, likely would have taken care of that issue for me. However, I am now committed to my Lat Luxury and Grip A14. If I were not, I could definitely see me getting the new Shift because I always liked the concept of having the most used discs conveniently on the outside, especially now that it could be eight discs instead of four.

I have had my Shift bag for a couple of months now and have put some rounds on it, and I am completely satisfied with it. It is unbelievable how comfortable the bag is, even when fully loaded. I love the layout of the discs, after a few rounds I was able to figure out which discs I wanted to keep in which pockets and it works great for me.

Seems to be holding up well so far, mine still looks pretty much brand new and I am not easy on my gear. I would recommend this bag with no reservations at all. At its price point I think it is the best deal-for-the-dollar out there. The Magellan bag may be cheaper, and there are some pretty fancy bags that cost a lot more, but the Shift is really in that sweet spot of good price AND a serious disc golf bag that should last a long time.

100% satisfied with the Shift. I don't expect to be shopping for another bag for a long time!

I'm carrying a Mahal for the winter. It's as good as they get. Big, rugged, carries the load comfortably. Amazing quality. You get what you pay for.

BUT, dollar for dollar the Shift is the best bag I've seen. I'm looking forward to warm dry weather and light-on-the-feet summer rounds again so I can switch back. Light, comfortable, well thought out, good disc AND stoarge capacity. Smaller than the C14 but carries more discs and more other stuff. Oh, and saves enoug money to buy more discs and more other stuff. And no billboard-sized logos. I'm a HUGE proponent of the Shift.

Maybe I should add this, which I'd posted in the Mahal thread:

Side by side. Each with 17 discs (5 distance, 5 fairway, 4 mids, 3 putters) a towel and a water bottle.

Size wise, not too far apart. But I played 40 holes with 23 discs in the Mahal yesterday, which isn't possible with the Shift. Today, on the other hand, I'm going to use the Shift for a Rocs and putters practice round. They are different animals. The Shift is way lighter. The Mahal distributes the heavier load better. If I had to pick one, It'd have to be the Mahal since I live in Oregon and play cold wet rounds where I need clothes and hot liquids and lots of towels in the winter. That and I like messing around with stacks of discs sometimes.
If I lived someplace without those concerns, it'd be the Shift all day long.
Luckily I don't have to pick just one.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 110
I'm halfway in the market for a winter bag myself and the Mahal is definitely a contender. No doubt it's a well constructed bag, I just have issues with the design--all that open space over the discs seems like a waste. I definitely dig the cinched in look though, rather than the "full spread" look they feature on their site.

I got in on the Rebel for the original pre-order. I have loved using the bag since then. This last weekend, I was playing in a 2 day tourney (rainfly saved the day) and after round 1, I noticed the right shoulder strap was coming loose. It held up the rest of the weekend and on Monday I send a FB message to UPD. They responded within 5 minutes and told me it is definitely covered by warranty. They then told me they would send a replacement out the same day! Excellent customer service. Even before the preorder started, these guys were always quick to answer my questions.

I'm halfway in the market for a winter bag myself and the Mahal is definitely a contender. No doubt it's a well constructed bag, I just have issues with the design--all that open space over the discs seems like a waste. I definitely dig the cinched in look though, rather than the "full spread" look they feature on their site.

I wouldn't call the space wasted. Top access to discs is a real plus. And you can just throw towels or loose discs on top while you're on the move -- sort them out at the next tee. I thought the same thing before I used it, but not anymore.
Also, the cinched look is great but when you add winter gear you'll end up opening the sides at least part way. I've got three driving/approach putters on one side and towels and spare clothes in the other -- but this is probably a discussion for the Mahal thread.

having had both the Grip C-14 and the UPD The Shift for a while I have to say that the Shift is the better value and smarter design.

the Shifts' inherent advantage is that it has so much more storage compared to the C-14, but is actually a less bulky bag.

15641775227_f5400d7f36_c.jpg

The way the disc storage/slots work is so flexible (the outside 4 pockets can hold 8 but also have the ability to easily hold 12 - three in each pocket). The inside pockets can hold 6 easy, but you can easily fit 8 or even nine spread out in the three slots. So you have the ability to carry 15 discs but also go up to 20 discs if you want (and thats not even using the main storage compartment yet).

Then there is the bulk non-disc storage. You can easily fit a large thick hoodie in the storage. I've fitted a shell and a down hooded jacket in the storage space. More water? There are even side nets to hold things securely that act like internal side pockets (so you can hold your extra beverages/stuff in the side to have the middle larger storage remain intact) so you can put at least 48oz MORE of your favorite beverage in the main storage and a hoodie. The side pockets attached to the shoulder straps can hold your valuables (keys wallet cellphone and little things like a small bug spray bottle/balm/ect).

The 2nd biggest advantage, which is difficult to prove, since there are probably a low amount of people who have had a chance to use both bags extensively is that the Shift is a more comfortable bag to use compared to the Grip C-14. With the Shift the discs are located on the outside and upper part of the inside of the bag. The side pockets act as stabilizers as well as smart storage. So essentially its just a nice backpack with smart/evenly distributed disc storage layout. The shift is almost a half pound lighter (because there are fewer rigid plastic panels). Its personal but I think that the shift is a more comfortable bag having used one compared to the Grip C-14 for multiple rounds).

I bet that the Shift owners in this thread can attest to the comfort of the bag over a prolonged period of time.

The other big advantage that is more personal for me is that I like how understated the logo/labels are on the UPD bags. I blacked out my Grip logos because it was a bit much/gaudy for me. I'll freely admit that the Grip C-14 or even their A series bags are great looking bags (sexier bags than their competition if you will), and would be even without the large "look at me!" logo prominently plastered not only the main panel in the front, but even the side's drink pockets.

Some disadvantages the Shift bag has compared to the Grip C-14?

The material on the C-14 seems more robust. Grip uses what feels like luggage grade material (which likely adds to the weight).

The integrated top/quick handle into the back straps works better for quickly picking up your bag to move to a nearby tee (there's a great handle on the shift, but it often collapses or gets stuffed/caught behind the main flap or top discs in the top slot of the inner storage).

The bottom of the shift only has three feet which work good, but you could easily bulk it up by using a longer bumper/rail system like grip's or other bags.

As of now the Grip C-14 has an available excellent rainfly (sold separately). The shift doesn't.

Some players still like the straightforward disc storage accessibility of the grip bags. Sometimes I have my discs organized neatly in my shift per area/storage pockets then I'm in a little hurry and I start putting discs back into different pockets and it turns into a whole jambalaya of discs to where I sometimes forget I had a better disc for a specific situation (the grip has the putter quiver and all your discs right there).

Overall the Shift has to be the best/most versatile/best value bag out there if you want to hold 14-18 discs have space for a jacket/hoodie/beverages/even more discs. Its super comfortable, light, and functional. You have a lot of options with the Shift, but the Grip there seems to be more compromise.

Seeing how I am going to be placing a order for a Shift today this review has really eased my mind about storage space. The one thing that was hanging me up was my concern that I would have to get another bag to be able to fit everything needed for tournaments, and use the light weight comfort of the Shift for casual rounds to help save my back, which does not seem to be the case, thanks man.

I got my Shift in about a week ago. The bag is great fully loaded with water you dont feel the weight. Great padding and plenty of starage for the few things I take with me. Currently set up with 14 discs with room for additional discs if I want to add anything. I was happy with the $129 price point. The bags a steal with the new discount for the holidays.

Someone was bound to get screwed! Shoot me an email with your order number. If you ordered close to when we posted the new discounts, I'll refund you the difference. No worries.

[email protected]

Ohh I got the sale price I was talking about the code for the mini, I had just put in my order at ~5am this morning and missed the code. My order just shipped its just always been my luck to jump the gun and miss out :\. :thmbup:

Latest posts