• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

For those who have the Rebel, is the storage good? Spacious?

I agree with BrokenShoulder: the side pockets are useful, but hardly "spacious." Plenty of room for snacks and small personal items, and you could fit a lightweight jacket pretty easily, but there isn't enough room for heavier clothing. I also think the pockets are slightly too small for extra disc storage; you could jam them in there but I would worry about warping them. Not really an issue for me, as I carry 17 in the main compartment and 5 in the vertical slots, which is plenty (I could probably fit a couple more in if I wanted to). The only issue I have with disc storage is that if I put more than one disc in the bottom vertical slot, it makes it difficult to get discs in and out of the main compartment easily. I understand that they may have addressed this with improved spacing of the vertical slots in newer versions of the bag (mine is v.2).

Overall I'm quite pleased with the bag. Very high quality materials and extremely comfortable to wear.

^I've been "overloading" for over 100 rounds and not a single issue yet. Stop babying those things and get your money's worth! Once you go 20, and stop worrying about stretching out the side pockets, you'll be happy you did. I ran 22 this weekend and had no issues. It just takes some getting used to and it becomes second nature.

To Lyleross, I know you aren't a troll, but I am just flabbergasted when people claim it only works with 12 or whatever. With all due respect, it isn't rocket science. And I said with all due respect. :D

-8bdJvDY_400x400.jpeg

LOL - I didn't say it couldn't be done, if you'll reread my post, you'll see that I often put the issue in perspective to myself and what I liked. BTW - I'm sure you're not a troll, as I suspect you may know, means, I'm sure you are a troll. On the other hand, I don't think you're Will Ferrall, but then again....

I will a) stand by my post. b) yep, you can overload the bag, and push discs in and out of each pocket to make it work. Should you when there are a ton of bags out there that easily accommodate 20 or more discs and are built for that, even one from UPD? Your choice. c) in a new bag, they don't slide into an easy configuration, they don't, that doesn't mean you can't get them there, but if you're just sticking the discs in between shots, they don't slide into those places, and of course, I shouldn't have to say it, since it's assumed, but that is in my hands, in the bag I've purchased. Even in your reply, you acknowledged that is the way it is in your bag, you've simply said, it isn't a problem for you, and for many, if not most, that may well be the case. d) having used many bags, with many tools and other carried items, overloading any carrying device with too many items means a shorter life span, no matter how well it's built. This is a well built bag, overloading it will shorten its lifespan. e) in my hands, ease of putting discs in and out puts me at about 12 discs, with a few in the bottom. Again, yes, I can put more in, I didn't say you couldn't, I just said that if ease of access is key, then twelve discs gives that. For me, that isn't a problem, but I'm not gonna pretend that they slide into the configuration shown in the pics without some effort. Can you get them there with a minor amount of effort? Yep. I find that a tad annoying, many won't. Why would I do that when I can pick up a full size bag that is meant to accommodate such things, and does so with ease? f) is the bag as stable standing up as other bags, no, it ain't. I'm pretty confident that most will agree with that for no other reason than it's smaller footprint.

Good bag, limitations, glad it works for you, it does for me to, just has limitations.

I agree with BrokenShoulder: the side pockets are useful, but hardly "spacious." Plenty of room for snacks and small personal items, and you could fit a lightweight jacket pretty easily, but there isn't enough room for heavier clothing. I also think the pockets are slightly too small for extra disc storage; you could jam them in there but I would worry about warping them. Not really an issue for me, as I carry 17 in the main compartment and 5 in the vertical slots, which is plenty (I could probably fit a couple more in if I wanted to). The only issue I have with disc storage is that if I put more than one disc in the bottom vertical slot, it makes it difficult to get discs in and out of the main compartment easily. I understand that they may have addressed this with improved spacing of the vertical slots in newer versions of the bag (mine is v.2).

Overall I'm quite pleased with the bag. Very high quality materials and extremely comfortable to wear.

I have brokenshoulders old bag and agree with this. The pockets are plenty big enough for me but definitely doesnt offer same storage as my flak. Super comfortable bag to wear though which is the biggest thing to me. I have retired my flak to a cart vs lugging around that tank making your back feel 30 yrs older after a round lol.

"Should you when there are a ton of bags out there that easily accommodate 20 or more"

Yes, this bag is more comfortable and fits on a person my size better than those other bags. 10x more comfortable than box bags (soldier, ect...). Smaller than Rebel type bags.

"in a new bag, they don't slide into an easy configuration, they don't, that doesn't mean you can't get them there, but if you're just sticking the discs in between shots, they don't slide into those places, and of course, I shouldn't have to say it, since it's assumed, but that is in my hands, in the bag I've purchased. Even in your reply, you acknowledged that is the way it is in your bag, you've simply said, it isn't a problem for you, and for many, if not most, that may well be the case."

It's called learning. Once you learn it, it takes .0001 seconds of your time. And is in no way an issue. You just bought the thing. Give it time and you'll realize your point is moot.

"having used many bags, with many tools and other carried items, overloading any carrying device with too many items means a shorter life span, no matter how well it's built. This is a well built bag, overloading it will shorten its lifespan."

That is an assumption. It hasn't shortened the life of mine. Why would it? The bag will magically explode from 2 extra discs than Upper Park recommends? I'm not so sure about that one. Especially with the quality UPD brings to the table.

in my hands, ease of putting discs in and out puts me at about 12 discs, with a few in the bottom. Again, yes, I can put more in, I didn't say you couldn't, I just said that if ease of access is key, then twelve discs gives that. For me, that isn't a problem, but I'm not gonna pretend that they slide into the configuration shown in the pics without some effort. Can you get them there with a minor amount of effort? Yep. I find that a tad annoying, many won't. Why would I do that when I can pick up a full size bag that is meant to accommodate such things, and does so with ease?

It isn't hard. Again, it is called learning. Once you learn it, it won't be hard anymore. It takes you "effort" to get 12 discs in your bag? Okay...

is the bag as stable standing up as other bags, no, it ain't. I'm pretty confident that most will agree with that for no other reason than it's smaller footprint.

Mine is plenty stable. Are you playing rounds without discs in your bag? That's weird...Just face the front downhill and it won't fall over. Not rocket science. And put discs in in. Problem solved...

Last edited:
I have brokenshoulders old bag and agree with this. The pockets are plenty big enough for me but definitely doesnt offer same storage as my flak. Super comfortable bag to wear though which is the biggest thing to me. I have retired my flak to a cart vs lugging around that tank making your back feel 30 yrs older after a round lol.

Yeah, Rebel sounds like a good one then. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to own one. I'm not planning on storing my tent and suitcase in the thing. I guess if they had courses 2 days hike deep in the backcountry of Yellowstone, then I might consider something bigger. But luckily I have the weather channel app to check what the weather will be like. Otherwise, I'd have no place for my boots, snow pants and snowmobile... Once you need a bag like that, it is definitely time to cart it.

Here's a little secret I'll share, there is no such thing as a perfect bag. There is however a near perfect combination. The main valid complaint I have with my Shift which I still love is the limited storage for extra gear. I found the solution in carrying a camp style stool WITH the storage pouch. You can carry your jacket beanies and gloves and store them in the stool in the winter once it warms up during the round, bug repellent and all the drinks and snacks you can fit in the summer. Highly recommend it!

Hey guys! We've been getting a handful of requests from people looking to buy the upgraded v3 Rebel rainfly for their v1 and v2 Rebels. Just wanted to post that we ordered some extras from the factory and they are now listed on the site. If you haven't had the chance to compare the v2 to the v3, the changes we made were pretty good.

If I can find a little time, I'll try to make a comparison video. Unless someone wants to do the comparison for me? I'll send them one for free :hfive:

Hey guys! We've been getting a handful of requests from people looking to buy the upgraded v3 Rebel rainfly for their v1 and v2 Rebels. Just wanted to post that we ordered some extras from the factory and they are now listed on the site. If you haven't had the chance to compare the v2 to the v3, the changes we made were pretty good.

If I can find a little time, I'll try to make a comparison video. Unless someone wants to do the comparison for me? I'll send them one for free :hfive:

Hey Upper Park Designs guys, my buddy and I did the compare video of the V1, V2, and V3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1QOT427Dg

Plan to get some more full reviews and first look videos up soon during our annual Disc Golf guys trip to Michigan. We plan to do a few full reviews on shoes we use for disc golf, temp/travel baskets, full review of the V3 rebel, full review of the Lat64 Luxury bag, and more. We can probably add the rainfly comparison video to the list of vids to make and put out there.

LOL - I didn't say it couldn't be done, if you'll reread my post, you'll see that I often put the issue in perspective to myself and what I liked. BTW - I'm sure you're not a troll, as I suspect you may know, means, I'm sure you are a troll. On the other hand, I don't think you're Will Ferrall, but then again....

I will a) stand by my post. b) yep, you can overload the bag, and push discs in and out of each pocket to make it work. Should you when there are a ton of bags out there that easily accommodate 20 or more discs and are built for that, even one from UPD? Your choice. c) in a new bag, they don't slide into an easy configuration, they don't, that doesn't mean you can't get them there, but if you're just sticking the discs in between shots, they don't slide into those places, and of course, I shouldn't have to say it, since it's assumed, but that is in my hands, in the bag I've purchased. Even in your reply, you acknowledged that is the way it is in your bag, you've simply said, it isn't a problem for you, and for many, if not most, that may well be the case. d) having used many bags, with many tools and other carried items, overloading any carrying device with too many items means a shorter life span, no matter how well it's built. This is a well built bag, overloading it will shorten its lifespan. e) in my hands, ease of putting discs in and out puts me at about 12 discs, with a few in the bottom. Again, yes, I can put more in, I didn't say you couldn't, I just said that if ease of access is key, then twelve discs gives that. For me, that isn't a problem, but I'm not gonna pretend that they slide into the configuration shown in the pics without some effort. Can you get them there with a minor amount of effort? Yep. I find that a tad annoying, many won't. Why would I do that when I can pick up a full size bag that is meant to accommodate such things, and does so with ease? f) is the bag as stable standing up as other bags, no, it ain't. I'm pretty confident that most will agree with that for no other reason than it's smaller footprint.

Good bag, limitations, glad it works for you, it does for me to, just has limitations.
Yes, but shouldn't the price difference between a bag designed for 15 that can hold 20 commas, I mean discs, be a consideration? It's not like you can swap out a Mini Cooper for an Odyssey for the same price.

I've decided that I definitely want to test drive an Upper Park bag. But I can't decide which one.

The problem is, I don't actually have a need to be filled. I currently have 2 backpacks (Grip, and Lat64) and 5 shoulder bags that all get used in various forms. The Lat64 is currently my primary bag and the others house various alternate lineups that I use in casual rounds.

What that means is that I have a use for any of the three Upper Park Bags. So I'm struggling to decide which one I want to try. Suggestions?

I've decided that I definitely want to test drive an Upper Park bag. But I can't decide which one.

The problem is, I don't actually have a need to be filled. I currently have 2 backpacks (Grip, and Lat64) and 5 shoulder bags that all get used in various forms. The Lat64 is currently my primary bag and the others house various alternate lineups that I use in casual rounds.

What that means is that I have a use for any of the three Upper Park Bags. So I'm struggling to decide which one I want to try. Suggestions?

Brad is your Grip an A, B, or C?

Well, if you already have backpacks you like, I would suggest a Shift for a SUPER lightweight back to comfortably carry 14-18 discs and a little storage in the bottom, or a Focus for a true minimalist bag running 8-10 discs with the option of a hydropak.

It sounds like nothing is going to replace your L64 Lux, but the Shift might be a unique option for a smaller setup, and the Focus is exceptionally unique. Either way, the weight is truly what shocks me.

Well, if you already have backpacks you like, I would suggest a Shift for a SUPER lightweight back to comfortably carry 14-18 discs and a little storage in the bottom, or a Focus for a true minimalist bag running 8-10 discs with the option of a hydropak.

It sounds like nothing is going to replace your L64 Lux, but the Shift might be a unique option for a smaller setup, and the Focus is exceptionally unique. Either way, the weight is truly what shocks me.

I would lean towards the shift

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

This is the way I'm leaning. The Shift is unique enough that it's nothing like any of the other bags I have, and it carries enough to be useful for casual rounds fairly regularly. If I like it, I may then consider getting a Rebel to potentially take over as my primary bag (the Lux is not irreplaceable by any means).

This is the way I'm leaning. The Shift is unique enough that it's nothing like any of the other bags I have, and it carries enough to be useful for casual rounds fairly regularly. If I like it, I may then consider getting a Rebel to potentially take over as my primary bag (the Lux is not irreplaceable by any means).

I adore my Shift. As I've stated, I've used most backpacks (no L64 or Flak X yet) and the Shift is just so incredible for the vertical storage, weight, and utilitarian features. However, for tournaments, I'm finding that I would appreciate more storage. The Rebel V3's vertical storage now fits as many discs as I carry in my Shift's vertical storage, but also has large side pockets for the things I find lacking when playing a long day of 36-48 holes. Also, it has stool/umbrella holders so I wouldn't have those on a carabiner clanging around. I cannot say enough good about UPD, but the Shift is definitely more suited to casual play/shorter days.

I completely understand. I have already bought a Shift and love it so much I sold my Grip. I am now on the fence about buying a Rebel. I don't carry that many discs but I could use the dividers and store extra stuff. I'm so close to buying...

Come to the Ditto Deathmarch June 25th and you can check out my Shift and Rebel.

I'm considering going to that.

I have seen a Rebel, at Ditto actually. I don't think I've ever actually seen a Shift in the wild. Either way, my mind is pretty well made on the Shift. I will probably be placing an order very soon.