• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

As if

How is the pinch for tall people? I really like my shift, but it's just not made for a long torso. I hear the rebel is better for tall people but I'd like to know about the pinch as well

Probably not, it's a small bag that probably rides high on most people. It's not uncomfortable, but I do kind of feel like a fat guy in a little coat with it on. I liken it to those mini backpack/purses you saw woman carrying in the mid 90s that are making a such triumphant return in today's fashion industry.

This page might help with any future Pinch inquiries:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128457

Will the next Version of the Shift be available in more interesting colors (for example I very much would like something like Exuberance Orange back)? If so, when might those bags exist? I would really like to replace my Shift V.1 (which I love) with a new model, but the current color choices don't float my boat.

Can someone post a pic of what the box looks like that the Rebel and Pinch bags are delivered in? Is it labeled "disc golf" anywhere on it? Hoping it isn't for personal (*cough*wife*cough*) reasons ;)

Last edited:
How's the DD Commander compare to the latest version of the Shift? I had a Commander and sold it as I didn't like how it felt, the straps seemed stiff and hard to easily put on both shoulders for me all the time. I had this bag as a beginner and it was a pain putting it on and off so I just carried it over one shoulder. That didn't do well with my shoulders from previous injuries in life.

I really like the organized look of the shift and it's more of a backpack than a hiking bag, it looks a lot more of what I'm used to and liked when using backpacks in school. It looks big enough for me and small and light for the bag and flexible to put on easy.

I should mention I'm mainly looking at smaller bags and especially lighter bags for not cart friendly courses. Although I do keep my cart as light as possible as well.

Thanks
Tim

Can someone post a pic of what the box looks like that the Rebel and Pinch bags are delivered in? Is it labeled "disc golf" anywhere on it? Hoping it isn't for personal (*cough*wife*cough*) reasons ;)

The Pinch didn't come in a box, it was shipped in one of those white bags.

When my Rebel arrived it came in a plain brown box. No mention of disc golf on it. Address on the label was what I'm guessing is the warehouse address.

After experimenting with a cart, and cycling through some other bags, I'm going back to the shift. It works the best for me and the size of it is better for my frame. The ranger is a box and I hated it, and the gripEQ B15 isn't as comfortable as the shift, likely due to a wider base and taller profile, and uneven weight distribution with the single 40oz water bottle I tend to carry. The B15 is a great bag but likely better for a bigger/taller person (I'm 5'6" 170lbs). The shift definitely feels like it fits me and the size of my disc lineup better (15-16 discs) better and I'll be ordering a new one this month (since I was dumb and sold my old one) After I get my shift I'll be selling my B15, as I don't think I'll ever use it at all.

Got my shift today and loaded it up...man what a huge difference it makes for me. It just fits me the way a bag should, and the balance and ride are just perfect. Funny how when something works out for you, it will come back around one way or another.

Philo Brathwaite does not anymore as I think he uses the SuperHero Pack that came out early 2017, Not sure about Ken Climo though, I think most of the Innova players use the SuperHero Pack now or the company makes them use a Innova pack as you see Paul McBeth using a SuperHero Pack now, a pack that was made with him in mind to use. Look at Philo's 2017 in the bag.

Maybe he used the SuperHero for his ITB video (to please Innova) but he was certainly rocking a Rebel at the Greater Hartford disc golf open this past weekend.

Maybe he used the SuperHero for his ITB video (to please Innova) but he was certainly rocking a Rebel at the Greater Hartford disc golf open this past weekend.

I think you are right he just had a empty Superhero bag for his ITB Video as you see Philo just grabbing the discs from a stack. It does seem that Paul Macbeth seems to use a Super Hero Bag, in some newer tournament stuff you see him using the black one with the little Innova compasses in white or sliver on them. I don't think Paul was sponsored by the bag brand he used before, he just used a Grip bag or they gave him one free to use but was never a part of the team, never signed a contract or was told he was sponsored by Grip. He still plays about the same so I don't think the new bag was not a problem to switch to.

Last edited:
I think you are right he just had a empty Superhero bag for his ITB Video as you see Philo just grabbing the discs from a stack. It does seem that Paul Macbeth seems to use a Super Hero Bag, in some newer tournament stuff you see him using the black one with the little Innova compasses in white or sliver on them. I don't think Paul was sponsored by the bag brand he used before, he just used a Grip bag or they gave him one free to use but was never a part of the team, never signed a contract or was told he was sponsored by Grip. He still plays about the same so I don't think the new bag was not a problem to switch to.

He was sponsored by Grip.
They had signature McBeth bags.

At the PFDO, Philo was using the Upper Park Pinch. That's my only knowledge of Philo's bag situation.

I think you are right he just had a empty Superhero bag for his ITB Video as you see Philo just grabbing the discs from a stack.

Where did you see this video? He is using an Upper Park Rebel in the most recent one I can find.

He was sponsored by Grip.
They had signature McBeth bags.

Well look at his 2016 in the bag, Paul has a Superhero pack that I think he says is his new pack if I am not mistaken, look at his play on tour, he is using a black Superhero bag now I think? I saw a snipit in a vlog and he had a Superhero bag on tour. I wonder if he has to use all Innova at Innova sponsored events where Innova is the main sponsor like the NT and WT events. Or maybe though I don't see why Grip, dropped him; one of the other brands Discmania in Innova's lineup use a Grip bag with Discmania on it and they have had those for about 3 or 4 years now.

Well look at his 2016 in the bag, Paul has a Superhero pack that I think he says is his new pack if I am not mistaken, look at his play on tour, he is using a black Superhero bag now I think? I saw a snipit in a vlog and he had a Superhero bag on tour. I wonder if he has to use all Innova at Innova sponsored events where Innova is the main sponsor like the NT and WT events. Or maybe though I don't see why Grip, dropped him; one of the other brands Discmania in Innova's lineup use a Grip bag with Discmania on it and they have had those for about 3 or 4 years now.

He used to be sponsored by Grip and carried their bags.
He then decided to end that sponsorship and carry the Innova bag. Presumably part of a new contract he signed and a decision to only accept paying sponsorships.

Here are two of the signature bags Grip had for him. Older tourney videos and in the bag videos show him or his caddies carrying Grip bags.

Attachments

• images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    15 KB · Views: 30
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 30
He used to be sponsored by Grip and carried their bags.
He then decided to end that sponsorship and carry the Innova bag. Presumably part of a new contract he signed and a decision to only accept paying sponsorships.

Here are two of the signature bags Grip had for him. Older tourney videos and in the bag videos show him or his caddies carrying Grip bags.

I remember the black bag being one that Paul used to have, not so much the Red White and Blue USA one that looks like a better version of the Hero Pack or a Superhero pack. I bet Innova waited till the Red White and Blue USA Grip bag was no longer having a patent on it then waited for that design of the pack to no longer be made before Dave at Innova made a not really bad copy of that bag but a cheaper copy by tweaking it a bit to make it cheaper as the original style Hero Pack then made the SuperHero Pack, a better version of the Hero Pack when they did a redesign on the original style Hero pack .

Last edited:

Latest posts