• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Upshot Disc

There's nothing wrong with your Yeti. Just learn to moderate your power on those shots. I do a jump putt/step putt form for approaches, and then just a Beato/right pec drill type throw if it's out of that range. Basically just add more and more reach back as ya move out.

This, I've learned the best upshots are nice, smooth and parallel with your landing zone. If its a hill, you want it to land parallel. So just stick with your Aviar, no need spending money on what you already have for the shot.

Find a good stiff R-Pro Rhyno. Stick to the ground great and the extra stability makes it a better approach disc than a putter IMO. I use one for 90% of my shots from 200ft to 60 or 70ft. Once you have seasoned it some it will fly straight, hyzer or anhyzer in those ranges with minimal trouble. Love love love soft Rhynos.

My Eco1 Swan almost always lands with a whimper. Doesn't tend to bounce and roll like some putters. But part of that is how it is thrown. I have been using a DD Suspect for some approach duties lately. So far it is a winner. A little OS and hasn't bounced and rolled on me yet.

...cue the curse. I'll probably get a 50' roll this week now. :wall:

I used to use my Yeti Pro Aviar but have since switched to this combo. For low power hyzers the suspect is very predictable with a small skip that helps get under trees and such. The swan can do straight to turnover and just sticks where it lands. Great combo!

The Discraft APX Elite-X swirl does an awesome job at these shots, as well as my 3x JK Pro Aviar-X. Love that disc! Many soft putters can work well as long as you have good form and get the disc to land flat.

zero soft pure. hits, sticks, good for low power hyzer flips that just go straight. the super stickiness of the plastic lets you get a great feel for the snap and release even though you're hardly moving your arm. absolutely essential when i need feedback from the disc to keep me from overdoing it or limp ****ing it. i don't really get rollaways because this thing is so easy to control and feel how much power you need to flip it, how much for a hyzer or turnover/anny.

Vibram VP. Loves finding the ground. And get a soft if you want it plaster itself to the ground.
This gets my vote. I carry one in my bag for the exact shot you're talking about. Hits and sticks 99% of the time and is really easy to range and control. Great disc.

For shots that are too short for a mid-range disc, but not quite a putt, I've been using a JK Yeti Pro Avair. Generally, I put some hyzer on it to bring it into the left side of the basket and can usually put it right where I want it until.....the bounce. I swear 80% of the time the damn thing bounces and rolls.

What I'm looking for is an upshot disc that'll stick where it lands with little to no bounce.

Like some others have said, it might not be the disc, but the throw. I'll try to elaborate a bit. Hyzers generally have a lot of speed left when they hit the ground, and that means a lot of kinetic energy. Depending on the surface - and the disc - some of the kinetic energy is dissipated when the disc hits the ground, but what is left can translate to skips, bounces and rolls.

For a throw that always sticks where it lands, you want to land the disc with as little kinetic energy left as possible. This is achieved by throwing the disc nose up, so the air resistance slows down the disc, and in ideal case it pretty much stops in the air before landing on the ground. Really overstable discs tend to fade and fall out of the air before the forward momentum is gone, and also they gain sideways momentum during the fade. That is why I recommend fairly neutral discs for touch approaches. Sometimes even neutral discs need a little bit of anhyzer to keep them in the air until they stop. You basically want the disc to hover to the ground.

I recommend you try this before you search for the magic disc. Play with the nose up angle, the anhyzer angle, and height, until you get a flight that stops in the air and hovers gently to the ground. It is very possible to pull it off with your current Aviar.

Like some others have said, it might not be the disc, but the throw. I'll try to elaborate a bit. Hyzers generally have a lot of speed left when they hit the ground, and that means a lot of kinetic energy. Depending on the surface - and the disc - some of the kinetic energy is dissipated when the disc hits the ground, but what is left can translate to skips, bounces and rolls.

For a throw that always sticks where it lands, you want to land the disc with as little kinetic energy left as possible. This is achieved by throwing the disc nose up, so the air resistance slows down the disc, and in ideal case it pretty much stops in the air before landing on the ground. Really overstable discs tend to fade and fall out of the air before the forward momentum is gone, and also they gain sideways momentum during the fade. That is why I recommend fairly neutral discs for touch approaches. Sometimes even neutral discs need a little bit of anhyzer to keep them in the air until they stop. You basically want the disc to hover to the ground.

I recommend you try this before you search for the magic disc. Play with the nose up angle, the anhyzer angle, and height, until you get a flight that stops in the air and hovers gently to the ground. It is very possible to pull it off with your current Aviar.

/thread

This is some very good, clear advice. Thank you. I agree it is the throw, not the disc. However, with everything in my life, I don't get the chance to practice as much as I'd like. I will work on developing this throw, but as a total sub-Rec player, I play for fun and relaxing. So for while I'm working on the proper technique, I'd like to find a disc more suited to my current throw.
Hey man, ;) this is my thread. I'll say when it ends.

/thread

There. :p

While doing some research I remembered about the Omega SuperSoft. No one mentioned it in this thread, so was it just not mentioned or is there a reason it wasn't mentioned?

While doing some research I remembered about the Omega SuperSoft. No one mentioned it in this thread, so was it just not mentioned or is there a reason it wasn't mentioned?

Good disc, won't do anything any other stable putter will do for ya though.
One of the only discs that will actually give you more options on approaching the pin is a zone. For most standard up shots I'm throwing PA1/PA4 just because they're both really reliable in flight. In headwinds, big hyzer lines, skips, forehands, rollers, etc. I'm using my esp zone.

Sounds like you either need to up the hyzer angle to a spike landing or flatten it out for a soft landing. I typically do the latter. Depending on wind I use Ion, Anode, or a gator. For spikes I use a whippet, but this is a last resort shot for me.

Good luck.