• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC - I told you so

the crowd looks too young, happy, and sober to be equated to anything disc golf. dog racing is the best analogy. i might accept cock fighting and monkey knife fights as well.

jsun3thousand said:
the crowd looks too young, happy, and sober to be equated to anything disc golf. dog racing is the best analogy. i might except cock fighting and monkey knife fights as well.
we're getting much closer to the reality of disc golf in this thread than we were in the Innova's Imminent Collapse thread

when I lived in mexico I had the opportunity to watch a bullfight and some cockfights. the bullfight was more entertaining (mainly because they served giant beers and real cuban cigars.) a LOT of money was flying around during the cockfights. ahh good times.

i travelled and played in the USDGC. The event/experience will forever be cemented in my mind. I met so many great people...played with some top notch talent....felt i conquered some holes while others ate me alive!

I agree...the USDGC namesake was skewed by the handicap ways. However i think doing this annually would be a fantastic idea...whereas giving everyone a chance to experience a week where you as the golfer...is the apex and you are treated like royalty.

Winthrop Gold is an intimating beast...it is a complete mindf*(% the first day i went out to play. I now have nitemares of yellows lines. :)

The Innova Staff and all of the volunteers were awesome. They enriched my experience as i was surrounded by many a golfers who have a passion for DG similar or greater then that of which i have.

If i have a chance to go again...i'd sign up immediately.

i have never seen a monkey knife fight. but i could place odd on the monkey shit fights at the zoo.
jsun3thousand said:
the crowd looks too young, happy, and sober to be equated to anything disc golf. dog racing is the best analogy. i might accept cock fighting and monkey knife fights as well.

seriously i don't mind handie capped events and alot of pro like them as well. a local pro here will only play against me if he can give 8 strokes and we bet a $.25. That way he has a challege as we play. however the majority of the pros i have played with are such fucking babies and have more excuses then fingers when they loses.

Chucky K from DGCR

A couple items I'm reasonably sure (90%) will occur:
- The 2012 USDGC will not return to the format and/or payout of 2010
- The next Performance Edition will have tighter restrictions on ratings and qualifying
- The Throw & Distance penalty will not be used as the blanket format for all holes
- Events will continue to fill regardless of format because the course and overall hospitality, not the format or payout is king at the USDGC

Well at least I got to see it when it was a good event

Frank Delicious said:
Chucky K from DGCR

A couple items I'm reasonably sure (90%) will occur:
- The 2012 USDGC will not return to the format and/or payout of 2010
- The next Performance Edition will have tighter restrictions on ratings and qualifying
- The Throw & Distance penalty will not be used as the blanket format for all holes
- Events will continue to fill regardless of format because the course and overall hospitality, not the format or payout is king at the USDGC

Well at least I got to see it when it was a good event

This sounds like shit. I thought last years USDGC was great. why does Innova keep fucking this whole thing up.

who really wants to see the same pros battle it out for champion year after year? wouldn't you rather watch 880 rated golfers battle it out?

you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.

I never expected to qualify. I am not of the elite dgers. I love watching the Superbowl but know my honkey ass aint making it there. you my friend are a fucktard.

zj1002 said:
you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.
yep thats about right. Come on you people, you aren't pros and couldnt ever qualify for the real USDGC so you should quit being babies. since you aren't pros you are also in no position to judge. Why cant 880 rated golfers become champions? who needs all of the time spent practicing and trying to get "good". people should just get handed the title, because damn it all, everyone should be champ! it would just make everyone feel so good and warm and fuzzy

I would go play it if I qualified but it is still sad to see what was one of the elite tourneys turn into this. Qualifying for the USDGC used to mean something. Winning it was prestigious. Now it has lost its mystique and become something less.

I remember when I first learned about the USDGC I thought it would be so cool to be good enough to qualify and play in the tourney. It was something I have been working towards since I learned about they tourney. Now, I think I'm more interested in playing in the Vibram or the PDGA championship (one of which will probably try to fill the void left by the old USDGC)

I think the USDGC will be much more normal next year.

Howard and Jonathan both said at the players banquet, that this year was a test. Basically, the higher ups wanted to figure out how to get more AMs involved and that was successful with the handicapped "performance edition"; however for those that made it out there, the crowd was pathetic. While this year we had the players buying merch and whatnot, I think sales probably declined because there weren't as many spectators buying the passes, buying the food, buying the discs, buying the rocs (especially buying the spectator rocs).

So next year I presume that we will see a tournament that has the Pros, a payout for pros, but also has the Ams somehow in order to bring more entrants. If they can figure out how to get the Pros and Ams on the same playing field out there, the crowd attending USDGC will skyrocket.

Exactly Frank, just because USDGC lost some luster doesn't mean other tournaments won't step up and fill the void. Just about every sport goes through changes in the top tier tournaments. We play a sport that is still trying to define itself. It sucks USDGC doesn't hold that elite status anymore, and I had hoped to one day qualify myself. Just like Frank said, I would honestly prefer to get a spot in Vibram now over any other tournament.

Triflusal: I can guarantee you 90% of the people that played in USDGC this year trained their butts off harder than ever before. This sport is evolving. You can sit on a forum and cry about it, or you can go out there and volunteer(or practice) to make it better. Look at what is happening with the Collegiate Disc Golf circuit. It is producing some incredible talent and competition. People like Pete May(who created NCDGC) are creating events that push the sport in every direction. There are 13 qualifier events for NCDGC this year, which is more than double what existed last year. The idea of collegiate disc golf was a huge gamble, and 5 years into it there at least 55 active collegiate teams around the country. The sport is growing, so do your part or shut up.

Latest posts