• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC - I told you so

zj1002 said:
you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.
damn right i would play if i qualied. I don't mind playing handie capped rounds or events, as long as every one is up on the rules at the start i think they are great. I played ball golf for years and had a handie cap of 19. That put me at the bottom of the a teir player. This ment i had to play against the top players at the club. The only time i had a chance to win was against the top player were in the handie capped rounds.

With that said I just wish it wasn't this event that took on the format.

p.s. I hate when a guy says hey all give you 4 strokes and then bitches when you beat him because he didn't cover the spread.

I live in Charlotte and could have qualified for USDGC in the Monday qualifying rounds but I had no desire to play in the event, even if I were qualified. Even for me as someone living within driving distance of winthrop it is probably close to a 1000 dollar outlay to play in the event (lost pay from time taken off work, entry fee and gas). It is surely more than this for someone who has to travel to play. With no chance of making back even a tiny amount of the money I would have spent on the tournament, I had no desire to play. So no, not everyone would have played if they had qualified.

zj1002 said:
Exactly Frank, just because USDGC lost some luster doesn't mean other tournaments won't step up and fill the void. Just about every sport goes through changes in the top tier tournaments. We play a sport that is still trying to define itself. It sucks USDGC doesn't hold that elite status anymore, and I had hoped to one day qualify myself. Just like Frank said, I would honestly prefer to get a spot in Vibram now over any other tournament.

Triflusal: I can guarantee you 90% of the people that played in USDGC this year trained their butts off harder than ever before. This sport is evolving. You can sit on a forum and cry about it, or you can go out there and volunteer(or practice) to make it better. Look at what is happening with the Collegiate Disc Golf circuit. It is producing some incredible talent and competition. People like Pete May(who created NCDGC) are creating events that push the sport in every direction. There are 13 qualifier events for NCDGC this year, which is more than double what existed last year. The idea of collegiate disc golf was a huge gamble, and 5 years into it there at least 55 active collegiate teams around the country. The sport is growing, so do your part or shut up.
I guess criticizing USDGC means I dont want any other part of the sport to change and that i wont help or practice. correct assessment. I actually discourage people from playing

zj1002 said:
you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.

The point is 99% of us shouldn't be able to qualify for the United States Disc Golf Championships because we are not the best of the best... Wha t happened was bad for the sport because it causes a loss in credibility. I used to think of this tourney in the same realm as the olympics, the best players should be there... I don't watch the olympics hoping to see some schmuck run a 30 second 100m just because he "qualified", that would suck and would be a detriment to the olymics... it would lose it's prestige. Same happened here, at least that's how I see it.

Oh, and your attitude towards other people's opinions sucks.... if you can't have a discussion without telling people to "stop fucking crying" then maybe you shouldn't participate.

y'all want me to argue and point a finger in zj's face? i'll take paypal.

i think the usdgc should've stayed like 2010, and a new event come up with the performance format. maybe "The US Handicaps"? cuz that would convey how retarded it is! lololol

Man

and next I guess I'll defend Netflix for changing

world keeps on turning. in the end I don't think any "credibility" was lost. USDGC wasn't the make or break event for pushing this sport to the next level. Something will replace it, or they will go back to the old format. A one year experiment means nothing in the long run. My point, without saying "stop fucking cryin"...do something for the sport. go teach, go play, go loby for course to be put in. That will grow the sport, not the loss of a tournament. Every sport evolves. Shit college football is less credible than disc golf these days.

as a disc golfer, i need to talk shit about stuff. the slightest hint of insincerity, or a whiff of "the man" getting in on my rebellious underground lifestyle...

ducks in a barrel, this usdg*

I had no interest whatsoever in this event and havven't (and probably won"t) look at the results.

PLAYER"S CUP should be a fun event with great competition though!...........All the Feldy Haters out there...pick me 2nd round..i gots me an ideer to mess with him using the Austrailian coin he gave me from his collection last year for beating Mr. Tendonitis

Guys, the USDGC is owned by Innova, they can do whatever they want with the event. And "championship" is anyways used very loosely. It is exactly the same as with the BCS "Championship," they can pick whoever they like to play in it...there is no playoff, no way for anyone to actually earn their passage to the championship. With the USDGC it is maybe a bit worse...this format of the USDGC rewards you for playing poorly in previous tournaments, instead of rewarding you for playing better in previous tournaments...how bizarre is that?

JHern said:
Guys, the USDGC is owned by Innova, they can do whatever they want with the event.
full understanding and agreement.

US Handi's is a cool event format, but its owner Innova should keep it separate from their US Champs property, previously a cool event format.

Leopard said:
US Handi's is a cool event format, but its owner Innova should keep it separate from their US Champs property, previously a cool event format.

No doubt, the decision of Innova to dramatically alter/roll back the USDGC mostly offends the touring pros who had come to respect the event, and to respect the title. The biggest sentiment I hear from them is concern that Innova, the biggest financial player in disc golf, is no longer sponsoring a pro event of the highest caliber. In this decision, they see a retraction of the sport of disc golf, and an atrophying of Innova's commitment to supporting high level events.

Is this cause for concern? Maybe. For sure, it sucks to see things moving in reverse. Many of these folks have been hearing their whole life that disc golf is just about to break out, it's just around the corner, things are going to explode in the next few years, etc.. And it hasn't. Instead, disc golf is enjoying a broad-based grass roots growth, but it isn't fast enough to break into larger sponsorship revenues.

I know how they feel, in their chosen professions, to not only see things not moving forward as rapidly as they'd hoped, but then to see things moving backwards...the changes to the USDGC, the the responses from the touring pros, perhaps personify that sentiment.

biscgolf said:
their "chosen profession" is based on a pipe dream for all but a select few...

That's usually the case in desirable professions....