• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC organizing committee is crap

Understable

Par Member
We are now starting to hear Trump-isms style statements (aka total bull**** arguements) coming from the USDGC organizers. Stating that two weeks isn't enough time to allow live streaming into the tournament is crap. We have seen Smashboxx come in at the last second before and it didn't effect the event.

The fact is DGWT events have refused live coverage all year, so why would this be different? They say live production is too much for them? These organizers are terrible if they are concerned that a live camera is too much for them to deal with. Either they are completely incompetent or they are getting orders from above (aka Duvall and Meresmaa) not too allow live streaming.

Is it time the PDGA make specific demands on Majors that they must live streaming for their biggest events?

How about, the USDGC guys are making all the effort and expense, it's their show, they can live-broadcast or not, as they wish?

How about, the USDGC guys are making all the effort and expense, it's their show, they can live-broadcast or not, as they wish?

Quite true. But, in this new era of disc golf coverage, it's not at all unreasonable of us to expect that the second biggest event of the year be broadcast live.

Quite true. But, in this new era of disc golf coverage, it's not at all unreasonable of us to expect that the second biggest event of the year be broadcast live.

I am disappointed, and a little puzzled, by the outcome.

But the viewer numbers on live broadcasts don't convince me that we're at the point where it should be required. Relatively few people actually watch---though it seems a good portion of those few people are passionate and vocal about it. There's almost an air of entitlement.

As best I can tell, the DGWT has decided that "media" means post-production video---higher quality, but without the "live" drama---which seems to interest far more people. I think it's their call.

I'm uncertain whether the USDGC's declining the 11th-hour PDGA offer was to not detract from the post-production video, or because they just didn't want to deal with it on top of everything else. From my TD perspective, it's easy for others to say "It won't affect the rest of the event", but nothing ever seems to work out that way. And goodness knows, they have a lot on their plate already.

From my sarcastic perspective, I thought whole idea behind the DGWT was to move disc golf into a media attraction, and join with others in asking, Is this all it amounts to?.

I agree that the viewers are few. And I'm not sure is so much entitlement, but just what we've (I've?) grown accustomed to. Discgolfplanet, and now Smashboxx, have spoiled us with great coverage.

Some of the live-broadcast fans seem entitled.....when they complain and make accusations at an event not offering live broadcast. I suspect most are simply disappointed.

I think this is correct, but understable's point that, "we don't have time," isn't a legitimate argument, has some merit. On USDGC's side, Jussi likes to micro-manage the media, that is his privilege at his event, and he may legitimately feel he doesn't have time to do it right, by his standards. Whether he is correct in this or not is irrelevant, as it is his event. I see managers make such decisions all the time, when I know their staff can get the job done if allowed free reign.

That the USDGC guys can manage an event is obvious. I might not even like some of the things they do, but that this event is one of the best run events in the world, if not the best, is clear.

What I think was needed here was more thinking up front. The day that DGWT announced they weren't going to live stream, if someone had put two and two together, they would have said, that means no live broadcast for USDGC for the first time in years, better do something. No one made that connection. If that had happened, well, the PDGA could have stepped in earlier, and this would have been a done deal. It shouldn't surprise anyone that no one made the connection. The announcement was made after La Mir, and the season was running full swing. It is hard to catch everything.

Am I mad... annoyed? Yep, but I think the guys who are going to be annoyed the most are the USDGC guys. A big chunk of their cache is the live broadcast, and now it's gone for this season. Suspect it won't happen again.

Is it time the PDGA make specific demands on Majors that they must live streaming for their biggest events?

On the DCGR II forum over on Earth II (in a parallel dimension), everyone is whining about how the USDGC II was de-sanctioned in protest because the PDGA II tried to force live coverage, which showed less respect than the tour director thought he should get.

Don't bother writing anything long-winded folks. This is just the latest salvo in the OP's anti-Jussi tirade.

The PDGA only "owns" one Major that offers Open divisions - Pro Worlds - where hosts bid on hosting it. All other Majors with Open divisions are owned by others and have various levels of cooperation and support from the PDGA.

On the DCGR II forum over on Earth II (in a parallel dimension), everyone is whining about how the USDGC II was de-sanctioned in protest because the PDGA II tried to force live coverage, which showed less respect than the tour director thought he should get.

I spent 10 minutes googling this before I realized I'd been had.... Sigh! What's sad is that you weren't even trying.

The PDGA only "owns" one Major that offers Open divisions - Pro Worlds - where hosts bid on hosting it. All other Majors with Open divisions are owned by others and have various levels of cooperation and support from the PDGA.

One thing that always starts popping up when bigger money is involved is legal contracts. I'd guess that a contracted media team is constrained to cover cards designated by the event directors, and to include certain commercial messages in the released production (at the least). It may be that the contracted media was given certain exclusive rights to their coverage. We do not know what guarantees/requirements/limitations are included in the contract between WT/USDGC and the media they've hired, and, without this knowledge, any conspiracy's truthiness is inherently compromised.

Just sayin'

I applogize for saying the USDGC organize is crap, I wanted to go back and edit the title but this site does not allow that function. I wanted to change it to USDGC media decision is crap.

As best I can tell, the DGWT has decided that "media" means post-production video---higher quality, but without the "live" drama---which seems to interest far more people. I think it's their call. [/I].

I think that the PDGA is playing catch-up with the age of social media and technology. They know the importance of the new media and for the most part, big tournaments (DGPT, NT) are doing it themselves. However we see some big events not going with live and I would hope the PDGA will draft/revise their policies on what is expected from NTs and Majors.

Fair enough.

But are live webcasts seen by a few thousand disc golf diehards really important to disc golf overall?

Fair enough.

But are live webcasts seen by a few thousand disc golf diehards really important to disc golf overall?

I still say let's see how much they would ante up. Would those 3-4k people pay 3.00-5.00 each to watch the event live? That could be anywhere from 9k to 20k. That's probably more than those post produced videos are going to make long term.

Personally I would easily pay $5.00-$10.00 to have access to live coverage (and archived video of the live feeds) of the USDGC.

I still say let's see how much they would ante up. Would those 3-4k people pay 3.00-5.00 each to watch the event live? That could be anywhere from 9k to 20k. That's probably more than those post produced videos are going to make long term.

Personally I would easily pay $5.00-$10.00 to have access to live coverage (and archived video of the live feeds) of the USDGC.

I would definitely pay something like that for USDGC, and probably Worlds too, though probably just the final two rounds there. But, for other tournaments, probably not. Post produciton is fine for those.

Live coverage costs money. Smashboxx doesn't do it as volunteer work. USDGC eats up enough money as it is.

As for passing the cost on to the viewers, this has been done in the past with DiscGolfPlanet. I know I've paid to watch Worlds and USDGC before and $5 sounded about right. Catch22 situation though...If you want to maximize view count you don't want to charge a fee to watch the live stream.

The "let's see how much they would ante up" is fine....depending on who's taking the financial loss if they don't.

Perhaps, at some point, it will be the PDGA. Then, if it doesn't work, people can blast them for the boondoggle and waste of membership money. But apparently they offered to fund it outright here, so perhaps the time is coming.

That, or a live-feed producer can sell access in advance, and cancel if they don't get it. Which, of course, will reduce their odds of success.