• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC organizing committee is crap

Side note: I loved Paige Pierce standing up to these guys and putting out coverage of the closing ceremony. Way to go Paige!

Paige did a great job with what she had. Anybody know what she was saying about Jaime Thomas as the group was walking to 18's basket?

Was she really taking a stand though? It's interesting how all the players appear to really like Jussi (See Jerm's victory speech), but lots of disc golf fans are against him. What do the players know that we don't hear? Maybe it's a Europe thing. Do European fans like Jussi?

It's interesting how all the players appear to really like Jussi (See Jerm's victory speech), but lots of disc golf fans are against him. What do the players know that we don't hear? Maybe it's a Europe thing. Do European fans like Jussi?

"Fans" meaning the dozens of people in forums like this?

"Fans" meaning those of us with less than all the facts, filling in the gaps with speculation?

I don't have the facts about the players loving him either, but my speculation would be that he's trying to do something bigger for pro disc golf, trying to bring in media and sponsors and ultimately more money, and that has an appeal to the players trying to make a living at it.

Whether he's doing it wisely or effectively is a matter for more speculation. Which is why we are here.

"Fans" meaning the dozens of people in forums like this?

"Fans" meaning those of us with less than all the facts, filling in the gaps with speculation?

I don't have the facts about the players loving him either, but my speculation would be that he's trying to do something bigger for pro disc golf, trying to bring in media and sponsors and ultimately more money, and that has an appeal to the players trying to make a living at it.

Whether he's doing it wisely or effectively is a matter for more speculation. Which is why we are here.

This.

The idea of large scale tours with bonuses and growth of a fan base is great. I think the players recognize that. Oh, and the cool golden jacket.

Lyle, I asked a simple question (with a tongue in cheek comment) and you seem to take it personally, not my intention. I do find it funny though, how anytime someone questions the PDGA, the answer is, "well why don't you run then?" As if that's the only way to affect change in the organization.

I've worked at non-profits before, it's all well and good to get on a BOD, but does little when going up against a majority.

How often is there turnover in the positions there? Has anyone actually ever been voted out of office? And do I have to get my Master's or PhD before I will be considered?

Hey Dan, sorry I just now saw this. I did take your comment seriously, or I wouldn't have replied to it. However, both your approach to the PDGA and to me were, while tongue in cheek, sort of attacking. You will notice that my reply didn't go after you, tongue in cheek or otherwise, but after your ideas. You suggested, indirectly, that there was malfeasance in how the money was handled and possibly in how Brian is paid. Given that the accounting for the PDGA is public and audited, that seems unlikely. Not impossible. But if you're gonna slur something, tongue in cheek of course, you should actually have some info that they've done something wrong. That isn't the same as doing something you don't like. The PDGA does a number of things I don't like, but as a non profit, in my experience, they do pretty well.

Turn over, the board, which controls the hiring and control of Brian, votes out a couple of positions every year. That means he has managed to keep a couple of full changes in the Board happy with his performance. Perhaps he gives them kickbacks? Brian isn't a voted position, he is hired.

In the past couple of years, there have been two staff changes, by my recollection. I believe both left of their own accord for new opportunities. That suggests there is turnover.

Latest posts