• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Utility Disc Recommendations

KDinIN

Par Member
So I have a bit of a dilemma, and I wanted to get some expert thoughts about this. In general, I bag a DX Whippet and a Z Flick for utility purposes. The whippet is my backhand hyzer disc when I am faced with an extreme turn, and the Flick is my tomahawk and get out of jail disc.

The problem I am having is, my Whippet gets banged up and because of the DX plastic, seems to be losing some fade. Should I replace it (over and over again), or should I pull it out of my bag, and put something else in. I was thinking firebird, but I was worried that would be a bit too fast for that fast midrange/slow fairway I am looking for. I bag a Hornet right now as my OS mid, but it doesn't have near the fade of the Whippet.

Any advice?

The Gateway Blaze is essentially a Whippet/Viper in Gateways gummy premo plastic.

MVP Resistor if you want to try something different. It is a 7speedish 0 turn OS fairway driver. Otherwise go on the Innova factory store and see if they still have the Star WhippetX.

Premium plastic Whippets do exist, but you'll have to pay a premium for them.

Zone, Drone, or Trident are some other good options in the same vicinity of the flight chart

Premium plastic Whippets do exist, but you'll have to pay a premium for them.

Eh. They are more hard to find then expensive. I usually pay about 20 bucks for the glow champs, which are great. You just have to find them.

So yeah my advice is to hunt for a glow champ. Because whippets are awesome. But there are a lot of other options out there. The hyzerbomb MOAB, prodigy H1, the aforementioned blaze all come to mind.

Eh. They are more hard to find then expensive. I usually pay about 20 bucks for the glow champs, which are great. You just have to find them.

I stocked up when I could, so I don't actually know how much they're going for these days.

I bag a champion gator and a sexton firebird. Covers all the get out of trouble shots I ever encounter on the course

Reptilian Disc Golf Raptor Like a Firebird, but a little faster and a little stronger fade.

Prodigy Glow H1 A Whippet's faster, more overstable cousin.

Hyzerbomb MOAB Basically a premium plastic Whippet/Viper clone that isn't overly fast, but has quite a bit more glide than most meathooks. If not for my love of Reptilian, I would definitely still be throwing my MOAB. But the Raptor gets the win.

For shorter throws, I am absolutely LOVING the new Prodigy A-Series. The 400s A2 is a beadless beefcake that can handle all the wind and power you can throw at it and still hooks up like a stergeon!

Personally, for short utility I bag the 400s A3 A little less OS than the A2 but is more workable. Great for big, high spike hyzers that will never even hint at flattening out and stick the landing beautifully.

For my utility needs, the Reptilian Raptor and Prodigy A3 are where it's at.

gold line xxx. maybe a touch faster than a whippet but every bit as overstable if not more so.

FAF Star Firebird and a Lucid Suspect are my go to utility discs. Pretty basic setup, but they are durable and get the job done.

The two most OS utility discs I've throw are the MOAB and the Stego.

MOAB is crazy beefy and the Stego is the most OS disc ever made. You can trash a Stego and they retail their beef nearly forever due to the wing design.

The problem I am having is, my Whippet gets banged up and because of the DX plastic, seems to be losing some fade. Should I replace it (over and over again), or should I pull it out of my bag, and put something else in. I was thinking firebird, but I was worried that would be a bit too fast for that fast midrange/slow fairway I am looking for. I bag a Hornet right now as my OS mid, but it doesn't have near the fade of the Whippet.
Any advice?

A lot of good ideas have been posted already, including the MOAB and Star Whippets from the Proshop (which, IMHO, is the best idea so far).

Here's a $0.02 ideal, though: If you don't want to go up to Firebird speed, you might try a Champion Banshee. This is my utility/OS disc at that speed. Only issue is that just as your Hornet does not have Whippet fade, the Banshee might not be the meathook you're looking for...

Opto Spark. Its really OS, although not quite as OS as the XXX. I'd say it's between the XXX and the Trident. The profile is almost identical to a flat Firebird. The opto plastic is AMAZING

I just replaced my Whippet last week with a Firebird for the same reason. I'm liking the other suggestions mentioned though and will probably think about this some more.