• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Utility disc?

I know a Utility player in baseball is one who can play multiple positions well, so from a sports standpoint I would say that a Utility disc is one disc that can be used for multiple types of shots. Mine would be a 180g Glow Roc...

My best utility disc is a Spider. I use it for all kinds of shots and especially for getting out of trouble.

so now all these posts are using the true definition of utility. i hope this rubs off on the people who use it when they mean specialty.

My bag is full of utility. So full in fact that I don't really have a specialty disc in the core. Perhaps the Firebird I just added to try...

I think that's why "stable" is so popular. It's easy to throw out there and be right when making a point even if you mean the opposite.
I have been wondering about this myself. To me, a stable disc flies straight but people use it interchangeably with overstable, as in "the Firebird is more stable than the Teebird". But in my eyes the Teebird is more stable because it flies straight whereas FB hooks left and is overstable.
Good utility discs are Hornet, Teebird, Stalker, Buzzz, Roc. It's a disc you can use for multiple shots.
Thank you. I have been scratching my head about this since joining the DGCR. Utility does not mean "one purpose". It means... lots of purposes! :)

I have been wondering about this myself. To me, a stable disc flies straight but people use it interchangeably with overstable, as in "the Firebird is more stable than the Teebird". But in my eyes the Teebird is more stable because it flies straight whereas FB hooks left and is overstable.

don't worry, you're brain works properly. stable means straight. but if you take a trip to the Landfill you will see a nice big amusing thread of some people defending what "stable" literally means while others are defending a made up definition of "stable" that by any scientific determination would be wrong.

oh no! this isnt a "stable" thread!

don't worry, you're brain works properly. stable means straight. but if you take a trip to the Landfill you will see a nice big amusing thread of some people defending what "stable" literally means while others are defending a made up definition of "stable" that by any scientific determination would be wrong.

don't forget the snazzy charts

But Dave Dunipace says...that's what I've been hearing from the Trilogy worms that are trying to use stable in place of overstable.

I'd say my Star Leopard would be my shorter utility disc, while my highly seasoned Star Orc would be my distance utility disc.

I could easily play with those two discs and a Wizard and probably not suffer much at all.

But Dave Dunipace says...that's what I've been hearing from the Trilogy worms that are trying to use stable in place of overstable.

This is the last comment about stability i will make here. Dave D says in the same video those tards all use to say Dave D says stable means os, that "stable means straight" he goes on to say that stable is sometimes used in dg to mean more os. In other words he is openly admitting that it is used incorrectly.

Whoever said Zone, YES. Ever since I found that thing, I've been in love. Approaches, skips, forehand, pancakes, grenades, overhand, flex shots, spike hyzers, etc. For me, it takes on more roles than any other disc in my bag.

This is the last comment about stability i will make here. Dave D says in the same video those tards all use to say Dave D says stable means os, that "stable means straight" he goes on to say that stable is sometimes used in dg to mean more os. In other words he is openly admitting that it is used incorrectly.

I maintain that we need to throw some discs in a vacuum before we will know what stable means.

To me, a utility disc is the disc I grab when I'm in the shule. I'm not sure how I'm going to throw, but it's unlikely I'm going to want something else. I have 3 utility discs; 3 flicks from over to under stable. They're all 150g, so I don't have to have a big reachback (but can use them with a good reachback). Being a driver, I think they act a little better rolling. They're low profile, so I think they cut through brush and trees well. And they always do what I think they will.

It generally means a disc with a very specific purpose or shot in mind. Very overstable or very understable discs are usually thought of as utility discs.

Well, my definition looks extremely different from New's. :\

See, I have "go-to" discs like an Eagle, which is stable, that I can make do practically everything. But, if I have a huge headwind or need a big flex shot, I'll throw my Banshee (utility) or if I need a roller or hyzerflip that holds a turnover, I'll throw a light Leopard (utility). That's what I mean by utility disc.
This^^^

Utility only has one meaning, so to say a disc that is only good for one shot, is not right.

Good utility discs are Hornet, Teebird, Stalker, Buzzz, Roc. It's a disc you can use for multiple shots.A Buzz can handle a hard throw, go anny, go hyzer, can be hyzer flipped, thrown forehand, overhand etc.
Not this^^^

BrotherDave describes a Utility club in golf or a Utility disc to perfection. In my golf bag the 60 degree wedge is a utility club. It has only one purpose. Similarly, in my disc golf bag my Mamba, Dragon, and XXX are utility discs. I pull them out when I need a specific shot that I don't throw often.

Conversely, utility can be defined as gadischunker wishes to. A multipurpose utility tool would be an example. However, that is not how the word is used in golf (disc or otherwise). Those types of discs are referred to as go-to's, multipurpose, or simply versatile. You can argue semantics all day long, but you can't argue historical usage.

the word is actually ruined

This thread is annoying. I'm an English major and love the use of words/language. I've always called "specialty" discs (like the Trident) "utility" discs. I'm annoyed at myself, not the thread. To everyone using the wrong definition (like I was): Read the dictionary. Damn it.

This thread is annoying. I'm an English major and love the use of words/language. I've always called "specialty" discs (like the Trident) "utility" discs. I'm annoyed at myself, not the thread. To everyone using the wrong definition (like I was): Read the dictionary. Damn it.

I am proud of you, you earned some respect on that one.

BrotherDave describes a Utility club in golf or a Utility disc to perfection. In my golf bag the 60 degree wedge is a utility club. It has only one purpose. Similarly, in my disc golf bag my Mamba, Dragon, and XXX are utility discs. I pull them out when I need a specific shot that I don't throw often.

hmmmm.....

"A utility club is a golf club that is versatile and can be used in different situations. From the definition given by GOLFALOT.COM it can be anything from a driving iron or rescue club to a chipper."

http://www.sportisticville.com/golf-utility-clubs/

owned

First part of the definition is correct but driving irons and chippers are one trick ponies.

key words are "anything from"

Latest posts