• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Valkyrie vs Beast; Thunderbird vs Others; G* Teebird?

is it the disc that isnt good or the archer?

Discs do what they do. They either have a role to play in one's game or they don't. Give me moose's bag and my scores will be as bad as my first year playing. Give him my bag, and he will want to kill puppies. In neither case are the discs or the archers bad.

1. I'd say get a heavier Star Beast (168-170g) or a Champ Sidewinder or a Falchion.

2. Just throwin' this out there as an alternative idea. Try a C-Line CD3.

3. I think there is, and I'd suggest a Star TL3.

Discs do what they do. They either have a role to play in one's game or they don't. Give me moose's bag and my scores will be as bad as my first year playing. Give him my bag, and he will want to kill puppies. In neither case are the discs or the archers bad.

I cant grasp that someone whose been playing as long as you, believes this.

Alright then. Ill move on with my day.

Give me any of your bags... (Pause for chuckle)... And I'll throw just as well as I always do... Something I've proven to myself... As long as I know what types of discs they are, I can adjust and throw anything.

Give me any of your bags... (Pause for chuckle)... And I'll throw just as well as I always do... Something I've proven to myself... As long as I know what types of discs they are, I can adjust and throw anything.

Yeah I think of discs in slots: overstable, stable-overstable, stable-understable, understable, etc. Then just use them as they are. Sure there are nuances for some of the stable-over/under discs, but if you've thrown a bunch of discs you can do pretty much anything with a disc after throwing it a handful of times.

Anyways, my point is that TripleB is increasing distance and beginning to convert his bag to premium. So that means that as long as you start off with a reasonable disc or two in star/champ/whatever, that you know shouldn't end up as a garbage disc you'll hate, then you can see what slot it fits. IMO you're better off buying one or two discs rather than an entire arsenal of premium plastic, evaluating where it fits in your game and how you think it will handle more power or beat in, and then get additional discs afterwards since you'll have a good benchmark. It's a lot harder for people who have their lineup of 5 distance drivers or whatever, lose a specific stability, and want to replace that exact disc. In your case you want something that's pretty straight and something that's moderately overstable, and don't have to worry about minute overlap with other discs. So this makes it much easier to get something you'll be happy with.

I agree with the above. It will benefit your game overall to keep it simple. 2 drivers one stable-overstable and one that will turn a little for you. Learn to throw those on all the lines and see how they react. Then after a while you may realize you can make almost every shot but you want something that goes a little more left/right or has a bigger s turn or whatever. Then add something in, but for the time being getting a used star/champ disc to replace a DX is fine, just be careful not to go overboard.

I could with most. I chose the bag I did for a reason. I do not carry overstable discs, and cannot throw them at all. I'd have to flex the crap out of them with newb over the top form. I have no forehand to speak of other than approaches.

Buy the molds you have now in Pro plastic. Buy them in G* if the mold isn't made in Pro (TeeBird). If you buy them in Star or Champ plastic, they'll only fly more overstable from DX than Pro will.

Better yet, stop messing around with DX drivers. Try a champion Beast or even an Orc. If you want something faster, get a star Wraith or Destroyer.

Thunderbird in G* or champion will work too.

DX drivers suck and won't hold their flight for any length of time. They're a complete waste of money.
Depends. I play mostly a park style course and mostly miss the trees off the tee. I've actually been annoyed at how long it takes to season a DX disc by playing there. I throw a lot of Speed 9 DX with no issues.

I tacoed the crapola out of a DX Valk on it's first throw at Lemon Lake Silver, so if I was playing harder courses more often it would probably make a difference. I'm just old, playing for fun and don't care if I get any better. DX is my plastic.

DX durability varies.
To make a blanket statement that all DX drivers are junk after one tree hit is ridiculous. As I said in another thread I've got Valks, Teebirds, and Gazelles that prove otherwise.

Throw whatever you want, I don't care, but posting such as fact is a disservice to new players.

DX durability varies.
To make a blanket statement that all DX drivers are junk after one tree hit is ridiculous. As I said in another thread I've got Valks, Teebirds, and Gazelles that prove otherwise.

Throw whatever you want, I don't care, but posting such as fact is a disservice to new players.
True. The Valk I taco'ed on its maiden flight was a players pack disc from an Ice Bowl, it was softer than I look for when I buy DX off the rack. Once you have a decent stash, you can be picky about the DX you buy. I find that part of it to be kinda fun. Other people just want to grab a disc and don't want to hunt for the perfect DX disc. I can see where DX just wouldn't be somebody's cup of tea, but I love the stuff.

The Valk I taco'ed on its first throw I was also able to tune back in shape, and it still had good stability. I might still have it except, you know...lake. :|

Last edited:
Yeah I think DX is great for some drivers. DX teebirds are super cool and get tons of glide as they beat in. Eagles get a cool very pronounced s curve and turn in to great line shapers. I didn't care much for the DX leopards I tried, but pro leopards are the cats ass. I don't care much if others don't like DX, but it is a fine plastic in a lot of ways.

Yeah I think DX is great for some drivers. DX teebirds are super cool and get tons of glide as they beat in. Eagles get a cool very pronounced s curve and turn in to great line shapers. I didn't care much for the DX leopards I tried, but pro leopards are the cats ass. I don't care much if others don't like DX, but it is a fine plastic in a lot of ways.

It's too bad they no longer make pro Teebirds, I really liked those as well.

This issue is not black and white. If all discs flew the same within a mold family life would be easy. But we know there can be fairly big difference in flights between the plastics making each one an almost different animals entirely. It's confusing for a new person. And then there are some molds that are fantastic in dx but not so good in premium plastics. If you tell new people to stay away from dx they are missing the dx roc or dx teebird for example. A pox on the manufacturers. The only thing a person can do is to keep trying discs in several plastic types until they find the combination of discs to fill all the slots in the bag.

It's just part of being a newbie...building a bag takes time.

I didn't read the whole thread. But as someone who has also tried a crapload of discs just to see, my advice would be to pick a premium plastic that you like and buy some stable to overstable discs and stick with them forever, or just admit that you like trying new discs and keep buying everything to try it out without worrying so much about exactly what to buy next.

The majority of the best players who throw Innova basically throw Philo's bag:

DX Rocs
Star/Champ Teebirds
Star/Champ Firebirds
Star Destroyers

If you don't have the arm for a Destroyer, substitute a Wraith or a Thunderbird/PD or wherever your arm speed currently sits, and work your way up. If you don't have the arm speed for a Firebird and don't throw forehands, the Teebird in premium plastic can fill the overstable fairway slot just fine until you do. And you'll be working that premium Teebird into a slot that will be useable for different roles as you progress. Same can be said about a Thunderbird or PD.

I would bet that most people could play with 4 molds or less and shoot scores 90% as good as their best 90% of the time. I wish that I had long ago known about and tried to replicate Philo's bag. But I've also enjoyed throwing all the random crap over the last few years...

Latest posts