• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram bowing out of the Disc game

I get more glide from my softs. I just do not get the same glide from the mediums at all. MY med Arch seems to be in between the Eagle and Teebird..of course, a lot of that could be me. My soft Arch seemed way closer to a TL. I only made a couple of throws with it, so it still needs more shaking out. What I did do with it made me extremely happy with the flight path. It will be a long time before I can try again. Gotta get this shoulder to heal up before I can throw anything. :\:(

Whose definition of "soft"? Trilogy's? Or Gateway's? ;)

Actually plastic was like Lighting's Prostyle Plastic, the one my brother got. Would get little nicks in the disc just by gripping it but the disc held up otherwise. Most of the disc From Vibram were to grippy for me to use anyhow, putters not included in the mix. The Vibram company had a putter like the Discraft Putt'r but not as soft or flexible that If I had not found the Pro D Magnet I would have tried the Vibram disc when it came out much later.

I find Innova G Star too grippy but not R-Pro or Star to tell you what I mean by that statement, too grippy.

Last edited:
Have you tried an Arch? I got one too and am hoping for a Teebird like flight for those wet days. Ended up with med Granite; Obex, Arch, Notch and Solace.

I like the Obex and Solace, kind of like a rubber Roc and XCal, but the fairways are new to me.

Hoping that those guys and a Megasoft Swan 2 will make me a good rainy day bag.

I am pretty ignorant of all Vibram's molds, but always like trying more discs even if they are OOP.

I just got my order in of a stack of 5 Vamps. It was crazy windy so I can't be sure how exactly how they fly, but I think I am gonning to like them.
I also got one Launch, it is supposed to be understable, but I did not see that unless I had about a 35 mph gust in my face.

I threw an ibex or obex for a quick second. What was weird, being rubber, was it was more slick in the rain than my other discs? It was a firm blend, is that why?

Thr firms are slicker but not much more. Just put your thumb on the Vibram insert, it gives more friction. I didn't have any problem with the discs being wet.

Thr firms are slicker but not much more. Just put your thumb on the Vibram insert, it gives more friction. I didn't have any problem with the discs being wet.

Hmm. Wonder why then? It'd make me hesitant to try again although I'm considering building a bag, a for fun maybe fair weather then.

Have you tried fluid from dynamic in comparison? Best plastic I've found yet for the wet and cold.

Hmm. Wonder why then? It'd make me hesitant to try again although I'm considering building a bag, a for fun maybe fair weather then.

Have you tried fluid from dynamic in comparison? Best plastic I've found yet for the wet and cold.

If you like plastic that soft, I can see why you had grip problems. I like firm plastics...like beyond the max limit firm.

Fluid is my second most hated plastic...right after the dead frogs that blowflys are made of.
Shudder

Sorry, I probably shouldn't compare anything to dead frog plastic.

I was considering building a bag around Vibram as its getting hard to find firm plasrics anymore. Even MVP makes floppy discs now.

Floppy discs distort in my mutant shaped hands.

Dawg you Dont even disc golf... I can crush so many soft molds im tired of your BS. Give it up. They all fly fine and ill school you with bowfly. Give this battle up it is complete BS.

Need help...

Last edited:
I have to agree. Softs can really fly nicely when thrown correctly. It is easy to torque them out of shape, but mind what you are doing and it is sweet. Also they don't tend to bounce off trees, just crumple and die.

I dont torque them out of shape. My release is smooth. The placement of my thumb distorts the discs...
Hit your line then you dont need soft discs...jeez

Fair enough. It is easy to distort the disc. I do like the crumple factor of the super floppy discs. There are times where I don't want a disc to bounce...off a tree, the basket, or the ground. Vibram soft is great for that.

Fair enough. It is easy to distort the disc. I do like the crumple factor of the super floppy discs. There are times where I don't want a disc to bounce...off a tree, the basket, or the ground. Vibram soft is great for that.

Thanks

If I came over as disrespectful, I apologize. Aim had me cranked up this morning.
I have strong opinions, but I do not want to squash anyone elses.

I got my Vibram order in. They look cool and feel pretty grippy. Hoping they will be good on the soggy courses.

Well, I threw them in intense wind and I have to say that the notch and Solace were more impressive than I thought.

The notch was 330 ish BH and I got it up to 370+ FH,
Hit the football field fence several times so maybe 390 ish if it didn't hit. The Solace can take some wind and was bombing FH. 470+ with some tail/cross winds on two throws.

Obex and arch were both good, but got knocked around a lot more.

So, if Vibram were always available for the price I paid, I could see using them a lot. Bummer they are going OOP, but if their pricing had been better day to day, I would have thrown them more.

Sure that is the case for a lot of people too.

Well, I threw them in intense wind and I have to say that the notch and Solace were more impressive than I thought.

The notch was 330 ish BH and I got it up to 370+ FH,
Hit the football field fence several times so maybe 390 ish if it didn't hit. The Solace can take some wind and was bombing FH. 470+ with some tail/cross winds on two throws.

Obex and arch were both good, but got knocked around a lot more.

So, if Vibram were always available for the price I paid, I could see using them a lot. Bummer they are going OOP, but if their pricing had been better day to day, I would have thrown them more.

Sure that is the case for a lot of people too.

If you like em, buy a handful now and they will last many, many years....unless you lose them. No getting around that one. The discs last forever ...almost. I say almost because the testing is still in progress.:D;)

At lunch, I took my 166 firm and 166 med Vamps and compared them to my 166 beat Neutron Crave. The Vamps acted like an slightly understable Crave, which is what I was looking for.

Like Moose, I was throwing in high winds, with swirls, so I am still excited to try them when calm...but here are my thoughts:

The Vamp has more glide than the Crave.
The Crave is slightly faster in the air.
The Vamp feels like the wing might be a touch wider.
The Vamp is more nose angle sensitive. If the wind gets under the nose, its gone.

In a nutshell, the Vamp is a turning Crave. These will pare well with it.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR31831038775595345876O777921OO

I also got one Launch, it is supposed to be understable, but I did not see that unless I had about a 35 mph gust in my face.

To me, the Launch flies like a seasoned DX Roc. It's not really understable, more neutral. You can hyzer-flip it and get a dead straight line with almost no fade. If you throw it flat, you get a little turn and then a nice long anny flight. It's good to pair with an Obex since beating an Obex into that flight will probably take a loooong time (whereas it's a lot easier to beat a DX Roc into that flight).