• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Keith, while you are here. I was looking at the Hero website and the word durability is big and bold on their dog discs. Clearly durability is important on the dog side of discs too. Are their dog disc materials significantly different than the Innova/Hero plastics, making them durable?

I could tell you if I can move up 14 spots for the Vibram Open.:D

Seriously though - the material is very similar to the Hyperflite Jawz disc which is puncture "resistant" (a chewing dog will eventually put holes in it).

It seems to be some combination with a type of urathane blend which makes it flexible and a Star/ESP type durable plastic - but I'm only going by seeing them - I don't have any inside knowledge of waht they are made with.

OK, so if I wanted to buy one Vibram golf disc - just for the sake of trying Vibram, not to fill a specific slot in my bag - which would everyone suggest?

Go.

I really like all of their discs, but I agree that if you're only buying one, the Ibex will impress you the most. I prefer the medium X-link for all of their discs.

The Sole putter has become my "go to" putter. It replaced the Ridge in my bag. The Summit and VP will never leave. They are my utility approach discs.

The Trak just keeps getting better as I use it. My favorite fairway driver.

The Ascent is my workhorse driver into the wind. Low and straight. Very reliable.

I recommend you save up and buy them all. I did and I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
Kudos to your Trak comment. This is my least appreciated crazy reliable driver. I love my Ibex and my Summit/VP combo as well and I talk about them as much as people will listen. But the Trak took Leopards out of my bag and I've never looked back. Rock solid disc.

Do all tops to VP, Ridges, and Summits get sunken in over time? I have a Ridge that has sunken in a good bit and it seems to have made it a good bit less stable than when I bought it in April '11. This has been a good thing, since it compliments my newer Ridge very well. I can throw it hard and it will stay straight for a good ways with no fade. But I also like the dependable fade of my newer Ridge and would like for it to stay that way. One thing that drew me to Vibrams in the first place was the good grip without the change flight in characteristics over time.

And I am assuming that the change in stability is due to the sunken top since otherwise it looks almost new and unwarped.

I finally got around to picking up a soft Trak. It's incredible. I've had a Trak in my bag since the protos came out. It was nice but never wow'd me. The soft does though.

I found the Sole okay too, but it did not replace the Ridge as my go-to putter.

Ibex, yeah ibex is great. It replaced several of my mids, and I'm learning to use it for forehand also, which is tough for a mid range.

Kudos to your Trak comment. This is my least appreciated crazy reliable driver. I love my Ibex and my Summit/VP combo as well and I talk about them as much as people will listen. But the Trak took Leopards out of my bag and I've never looked back. Rock solid disc.

No kudos for my answering your question huh? :(

Do all tops to VP, Ridges, and Summits get sunken in over time? I have a Ridge that has sunken in a good bit and it seems to have made it a good bit less stable than when I bought it in April '11. This has been a good thing, since it compliments my newer Ridge very well. I can throw it hard and it will stay straight for a good ways with no fade. But I also like the dependable fade of my newer Ridge and would like for it to stay that way. One thing that drew me to Vibrams in the first place was the good grip without the change flight in characteristics over time.

And I am assuming that the change in stability is due to the sunken top since otherwise it looks almost new and unwarped.

My VP has been in my bag for close to three years now (it is my primary putter and short right to left shots) and has no signs of sinking the top. It is X-Link Firm. My X-Link Ridge's top is also not sinking, it's a couple years old (although with my love for the Ibex it is getting less use!-)

-------

And yes Keith - no love for you! :-D

Just wondering if the Ibex is getting rerun, kinda hard to find a med. You are talking it up to much and now I have to have one.
I have to agree on the sole, its pushing my summit out. Love it.
The Trak is still being worked in, just got a new one after not being wowed by the Bumbleboot.

P.S. More Ibexs please

cheers Jeffrey

I just examined the 10 putters I have here.
None have sunken tops.

I have VP's, Ridges, and Summits, in all formulas, from soft to super firm, long term throwers, some in storage, some on the wall.

All the tops are either ruler flat or slightly domed.

I know there was some discs that arrived at dealers warped and dented when Vibram started shipping, which resulted in them using the goofy cardboard X packaging, but more recent shipments seem to be fine without it.

Maybe you could try the microwave trick.

I believe there was a worker who was letting the discs cool the wrong way, thus resulting in some of them having sunken tops. I haven't noticed a sunken top in quite some time.

I don't think the flight was too different, maybe a slightly straighter. In fact, I've heard of some ppl who like the sunken tops.

I have one Ridge with a sunken top. That's the way I bought it. I haven't noticed a big difference compared to my other 6 Ridges. It's one of my "backyard putters".

Both my med Ridge and Summit have sunken tops; the Ridge more so than the Summit. I don't remember what they were like when I bought them but they are both considerable less stable then when I bought them (my Ridge is now super straight). I actually like that for these two discs but I want my newer Ridge (that has a very slight dome) to keep its reliable fade. I assumed that the gradual sinking of the tops was what caused the gradual loss in stability, but I am not sure. For those who have used these for a while without the tops sinking at all, have you had any loss in stability?

For those who have used these for a while without the tops sinking at all, have you had any loss in stability?

My medium Ridge, which has spent the most time in the field, and has the most tree hits, has changed very slightly since new. I'm sure rubber has a much better memory than any plastic formula, but it is still subject to the same laws of physics when it comes to molecules changing after repeated impacts, so its not cryptonite, it will change.

Sunken tops is confirmed way to make a disc less stable, ala the Yeti Pro, so thats no secret.

My new SF Ridge seems to behave nearly identical to the Ridge I mentioned above, despite it being new, and a different stiffness.
The one thing about Vibram is thier consistency.

That being said I still swear my first run Chunk VP flies straighter than any other VP I have ever thrown,
almost " Ridge like ", which is why I prefer it over all the others.

The only Vibram disc that I've had noticeable changes in stability is my first medium Ascent. I've thrown it in west Texas so much that the edges are chewed up pretty good. It's a lot less stable than it used to be. I can sand it a little and it's back to straight again, but I keep hitting rocks and honey locust trees with it... the putters I use out there are still "like new".

X-Link Firm Ibexes are now available to retailers. X-Link Medium Ibexes will be back in stock ready for retailers to order in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts