• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the case with most. I forget if it's the Mediums or the Firms but all of the initial run of one of those are lacking the numbers. I'm sure this means a massive difference in flight stability ;)

That's the case with most. I forget if it's the Mediums or the Firms but all of the initial run of one of those are lacking the numbers. I'm sure this means a massive difference in flight stability ;)

I have two firms with no flight numbers.

OK, I've back-read and searched about the microwave 'trick' for warped Vibrams. Here's my summit which is brand new and warped. Holds a nice anhyzer line, wondering if the warping is changing its flight path....?

Should I microwave the thing? If so, what's the process?

Should I contact Mr Dodge about this? Is it ongoing issue or bad production run?

Attachments

• summit - warped.JPG
    summit - warped.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 54
Boil some water and find a bowl that the disc will sit in while supported by the rim. Dump the hot water in and let it sit and cool. It solves the dome issue that my Monster gets when it even looks at a tree.

Boil some water and find a bowl that the disc will sit in while supported by the rim. Dump the hot water in and let it sit and cool. It solves the dome issue that my Monster gets when it even looks at a tree.

Thanks for the reply. It's not having an issue with the dome, rather the entire thing is warped at the base.

Sitting in a hot car has worked for me, just make sure they are not in direct sunlight. I sit em flat and cover with a towel.

Steve any changes to the Maple Hill Gold layout from last year? Hole 16?

Mine's got a nice moebius look to itl...I just work it back into straightness before throwing. It's a firm Summit.

OK, I've back-read and searched about the microwave 'trick' for warped Vibrams. Here's my summit which is brand new and warped. Holds a nice anhyzer line, wondering if the warping is changing its flight path....?

Should I microwave the thing? If so, what's the process?

Should I contact Mr Dodge about this? Is it ongoing issue or bad production run?

I'm surprised to hear nothing about the new distance driver proto, didn't Steve say there will be one at worlds in the Vibram booth to be fondled????

I pretty much went to everything Vibram did at World's, including following Dana and Mitch around the course when I could.

I did not see the proto driver, but there is a chance I could have missed it when I was at the booth. I know they were giving some away as part of their disc detective game. That was crazy fun.

In all honesty, I thought Vibram knocked it out of the park with all they did at World's. No other manufacturer did as many fun things as Vibram did.

I was looking at the altitude flight chart. They have the trak at a 4/5/-1/2. I know the flight charts are kinda subjective but I thought vibram marketed it as a fairway driver companion to the ascent 7/4/0/3 on their chart. What is the consensos on what the trak actually is? I just ordered a trak thinking it would be an understable ascent type.

With people discussing how to fix warped Vibrams I figured I would discuss. I purchased a firm Ibex about a month and a half ago and it was warped. I tried every trick I could think of and it never fixed it. I even stacked some magazines on it. Heavy enough that it allowed it to lay flat against a table light enough that it wouldn't crush the dome. I left my ibex like that for almost 2 weeks on my desk by my window (so it got pretty warm). No luck, as soon as I lifted the weight it popped back into it's warped ways. Good plastic memory. Unfortunately not the shape I want it to remember.

The warping in this case was caused by the Vibram logo- The logo causes some strange bulge in dome so it was asymmetrically taller on that side of the disc. This pushed the wing down a good few millimeters so the discs profile has a slight crescent shape curve to it. Unfortunately this warping has become even more pronounced now than it was when I purchased it. It just keeps curling in on itself. Nothing will straighten it out and I despise the way it flies. This is probably because of the warping, but it left a really bad taste in my mouth and I never bothered replacing it or trying another one.

The Trak I got with the Ibex is nice, though. Feels great in the hand. Fun to play around with. I like it, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I keep it around though because I like to fondle it from time to time and bring it with me when I do field work.

@LucasP, I didn't give the Trak much of a chance, but it flew more stable than I was expecting / hoping it would and therefore it was not what I was looking for. Nice disc, but in my experiences it was not the leopard / river type stability I was hoping for. My track flew a lot more like my Eagles. Some high speed turn but it faded back hard every time and fought out of anhyzers pretty early in the flight.

Here is to hoping that I simply got unlucky and my 2 first experiences with Vibram happened to be duds / anomalies.

Last edited:
jkosk, that is not how my Traks fly at all. All of mine have been pretty resistant to high speed turn, while only having a touch, if any, fade at the end of the flight. The most stable one I have had is a 172M that I just got and have thrown in a field like 10 times, and the least stable was a 171F that I played two or three rounds a day with for about 7 months until a construction site gobbled it up about two months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.