• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20101218_144853.jpg

christmas came early to myself :D things of beauty.

that summit in the corner is upside down because it's almost solid green on the top. and the bottom is chunky. very cool to me.

the top row is VP's
the bottom row, Summits!

I wish I could post my Christmas Vibram's, but they are hidden somewhere and about to be wrapped. Got a X-Link Acsent that is an absolutely beautiful blue with other colors mixed in very limited quantities. My other two, a Ridge and a Summit are less beautiful. One of them looks like barf, but I am okay with that.

Hey Steve Dodge, the local brick and mortar store here had a big sale this week.

They sold out of all the soft VP's, and all the Ascents they had, as well as any sweet Ridges.
I went there today to spend some money and I really had a hard time.
They had tons of IONS, Gateway putters and just about everything else available, but cleaned out of all the tasty Vibram.
This should tell you something.

I could have walked out with a brand new first run Wahoo, for free, but I passed.

I could have walked out with a brand new first run Wahoo, for free, but I passed.

They won't be able to give those things away.

Ridges are nice. have you considered a custom order?

Also, would anyone want my soft VP? I got it at AM worlds and don't really want it anymore...

Hey Steve, did you get any questions from the PDGA when Vibram submitted their first disc for approval. It seems to me there there are a couple of things that were not normal with your discs that they have not really seen before. Their tech standards document says that the disc must be made of non magnetic "plastic" material. Clearly you use rubber. Also the VP with your logo in the middle has to push the bound of limitations, specifically with the tech document reading that any extra thickness in the flight plate must be in a circular shape. I am curious to know what, if anything, was said between Vibram and the PDGA when the first disc was submitted for approval.

That would be pretty interesting. I like the fact taht Mr. Dodge is saying 2011 could be an interesting year. Apparently he really likes keeping us guessing as to what he actually means by that. Something tells me they will produce more new discs than in any previous year and really get close to allowing one to fill out a bag with all Vibram discs.

Mr. Dodge, will you be requiring your sponsored players to throw all Vibram discs in the next two years?

I like seeing the guesses, they help fill my head with ideas. :)

Regarding sponsored players, no. As we currently do, we will require them to throw the discs that result in the best performance for them. Inclusion is the best way to grow the sport, imo.

Hey Steve, did you get any questions from the PDGA when Vibram submitted their first disc for approval. It seems to me there there are a couple of things that were not normal with your discs that they have not really seen before. Their tech standards document says that the disc must be made of non magnetic "plastic" material. Clearly you use rubber. Also the VP with your logo in the middle has to push the bound of limitations, specifically with the tech document reading that any extra thickness in the flight plate must be in a circular shape. I am curious to know what, if anything, was said between Vibram and the PDGA when the first disc was submitted for approval.

There were no significant conversations between me and the tech committee and/or the board regarding disc approval. It seems like I probably called (back in 2008) and asked for an opinion and heard back that the label should not be a problem.

Hey Dodger, I'm curious as to what you think of this.

McCormack from Gateway has the theory that more material on the outside of the flight plate allows for more spin of the disc (and since gateway's reputation is for their putters I think something may be right here). What would you have to say about that when you considered Vibram's putters have the logo slapped in the middle putting more weight counter productively in the disc according to the other idea?

I like seeing the guesses, they help fill my head with ideas. :)

Regarding sponsored players, no. As we currently do, we will require them to throw the discs that result in the best performance for them. Inclusion is the best way to grow the sport, imo.

Maybe I should start charging for thought provoking posts in this thread if I am filling your head with ideas? Okay, maybe not.

I agree with you on what is best for the sport in regards to sponsored pros, I was really just hoping to get you to give away a little bit of info on how many discs Vibram might bring out in the next couple of years. Plan foiled again by Mr. Dodge, that clever fellow.

Hey Dodger, I'm curious as to what you think of this.

McCormack from Gateway has the theory that more material on the outside of the flight plate allows for more spin of the disc (and since gateway's reputation is for their putters I think something may be right here). What would you have to say about that when you considered Vibram's putters have the logo slapped in the middle putting more weight counter productively in the disc according to the other idea?

I think it is pretty basic physics. The more weight at the edge of the disc, the longer it will maintain its stability and thus flight. For the putters, putting the logo in the middle makes sense as we want the discs to slow down quickly. The odd thing is that we did some tests and there was not a noticeable difference in flight when the weight of the label well was removed.

Wouldn't the physics of that roughly remain the same? If just as much material is used on the disc as a whole wouldn't it only be a small change? Would trying a thinner flight plate/thinner plate center infringe on gateways work?

I'm guessing it would... pppfffttt.... on to more thoughts.

My Chunks came in the mail today and I couldn't be happier, unless I could add a Ridge Chunk to the collection...

chunks.jpg

are they all vps? summits? The white ones are cool, others are alright.

Based on the colors, I guessing the top left and right discs are Summits, and thats speckled gray, not white.
The two in the center row are definitely VP's.
I'm guessing bottom one is a Summit, and top center is a VP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts