• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Ibex ~mid-range

I Felt one up over the weekend. Seemed pretty Core shaped to me but of course it had the Vibram material. Very sleek for a mid range disc it seemed bordering on a Fairway Driver. I did not get a chance to throw it though it was just out for display.

I bought two at IDGC with my modest winnings from the PDGA Championships a couple of weeks ago because they had a nice tourney stamp and I liked the look of them. Original intent was to hang them rather than use them.

Threw one just out of curiosity and liked it right away. Very straight - reminds me of my beloved Dart only longer.

The look and feel are great too, so it's now in my bag keeping my Ascent company.

Overall... :thmbup:

I believe the Ibex will be our #1 selling disc in 2012 as people start to experience that the hype is flat out real. We've made an amazing mid-range in the Vibram X-Link material. Here is the preview we put together, while it does hold a straight line and given some hyzer will fade reliably, the thing I love most is how well it holds an anny line (see the preview below at :40 to see what I'm talking about.)

Release date: Available 10/20 at our Pinnacle retailers, ships to all other retailers on 10/20.

Retailers: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/retailers.html

(if your local retailer does not carry Vibram golf discs, this is the perfect time to get aboard. Have them shoot me an email ([email protected].)

Last edited:
^^^ nice... sounds like something right up my alley cant wait to actually hold one .. keep up the great work steven :thmbup:

Sunking and lsdiscs have been selling these at tournaments. Hit them up if you don't want to wait for the release date.

I have talked to both of them and they have told me that this pre-selling has stopped (unless you are talking about the pre-release Players Cup fundraiser discs, in which case selling is okay). If it has not, please let me know. It is not fair to the stores that are following the rules. Note: most of the Pinnacle retailers already have their allotment of Ibexes (yes, it was limited because we anticipate selling out) and are not selling them yet, as we agreed.

I believe the Ibex will be our #1 selling disc in 2012 as people start to experience that the hype is flat out real. We've made an amazing mid-range in the Vibram X-Link material. Here is the preview we put together, while it does hold a straight line and given some hyzer will fade reliably, the thing I love most is how well it holds an anny line (see the preview below at :40 to see what I'm talking about.)

Release date: Available 10/20 at our Pinnacle retailers, ships to all other retailers on 10/20.

Retailers: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/retailers.html

(if your local retailer does not carry Vibram golf discs, this is the perfect time to get aboard. Have them shoot me an email ([email protected].)
I am sure those guys in the video are sponsored but who are they?

ive got a players cup 174 baby blue Ibex. ive only used it 2 rounds, one in Devens MA and another in Sharon MA, if anyone is familiar with those courses then you know that it never really got aired out in Devens. Sharon on the other hand...this thing rips. its straight like a dart with a natural Roc fade to the end. left hand backhand, right hand forehand, right hand backhand, whatever line you want to throw it on, it rips. its fast without being out of control, and because of the rubber material it grabs ground and just sits. so far so good with the Ibex.
not sure if i can pull my GL Core, Star Cro, or Ion out of the bag, but i feel pretty confident that the Ibex will not replace any disc, but fill a slot that i never knew i had. the Ibex will be personally responsible for me buying a bigger bag this winter. cant wait to toss it again and really start seeing what it can do.

M is for Medium

The M stands for Medium, Vibram makes Soft, Medium, and Firm, if a disc is only referred to as X-Link, that means Medium (as compared to X-Link Soft or X-Link Firm).

I am a huge fan of Vibram putters (especially the Ridge, and I am testing the Sole these days), but I think soft and medium plastics from any disc manufacturer have really limited applications.

You may want a soft or medium disc to lay down and stick on short approaches, but they do not perform well in most putting and throwing situations and they generally fail when thrown hard.

When you putt or throw a disc, you do not want the disc to buckle and then have to correct itself before obtaining its flight plane and appropriate rotation, you want your touch, timing, and energy to transfer directly into the disc and the disc to respond commensurate with your effort.

If you watch the Ibex demo video that Steven Dodge posted on this thread (it is also on the Vibram Disc web site), you can actually see what I am talking about since the throws are in slow mo, you can see the Ibex buckle and wobble, which is an undesirable outcome for most throws and putts.

I am not sure why Vibram only released the Sole in Medium, and I am worried the Ibex will only initially be released in Medium. I can not wait to try the Ibex, but will likely wait until they release it in Firm, because that is the only way to really assess the overall performance of the design and plastic.

The M stands for Medium, Vibram makes Soft, Medium, and Firm, if a disc is only referred to as X-Link, that means Medium (as compared to X-Link Soft or X-Link Firm).

I am a huge fan of Vibram putters (especially the Ridge, and I am testing the Sole these days), but I think soft and medium plastics from any disc manufacturer have really limited applications.

You may want a soft or medium disc to lay down and stick on short approaches, but they do not perform well in most putting and throwing situations and they generally fail when thrown hard.

When you putt or throw a disc, you do not want the disc to buckle and then have to correct itself before obtaining its flight plane and appropriate rotation, you want your touch, timing, and energy to transfer directly into the disc and the disc to respond commensurate with your effort.

If you watch the Ibex demo video that Steven Dodge posted on this thread (it is also on the Vibram Disc web site), you can actually see what I am talking about since the throws are in slow mo, you can see the Ibex buckle and wobble, which is an undesirable outcome for most throws and putts.

I am not sure why Vibram only released the Sole in Medium, and I am worried the Ibex will only initially be released in Medium. I can not wait to try the Ibex, but will likely wait until they release it in Firm, because that is the only way to really assess the overall performance of the design and plastic.

I have no problem throwing my SOFT Ridge 200-250' with pinpoint accuracy.

I think the x-link medium and soft are great, I personally don't find their applications limited at all.

Latest posts