• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Ibex ~mid-range

The M stands for Medium, Vibram makes Soft, Medium, and Firm, if a disc is only referred to as X-Link, that means Medium (as compared to X-Link Soft or X-Link Firm).

I am a huge fan of Vibram putters (especially the Ridge, and I am testing the Sole these days), but I think soft and medium plastics from any disc manufacturer have really limited applications.

You may want a soft or medium disc to lay down and stick on short approaches, but they do not perform well in most putting and throwing situations and they generally fail when thrown hard.

When you putt or throw a disc, you do not want the disc to buckle and then have to correct itself before obtaining its flight plane and appropriate rotation, you want your touch, timing, and energy to transfer directly into the disc and the disc to respond commensurate with your effort.

If you watch the Ibex demo video that Steven Dodge posted on this thread (it is also on the Vibram Disc web site), you can actually see what I am talking about since the throws are in slow mo, you can see the Ibex buckle and wobble, which is an undesirable outcome for most throws and putts.

I am not sure why Vibram only released the Sole in Medium, and I am worried the Ibex will only initially be released in Medium. I can not wait to try the Ibex, but will likely wait until they release it in Firm, because that is the only way to really assess the overall performance of the design and plastic.

Tom,

You seem like a pretty smart dude. I've never heard this idea before, and I'm wondering where you got it from. I see you're pretty new on here, so to be clear, I'm not bashing you at all. I would simply like to see what information you based this idea on and i'd also (very much) like to see the different in flight between a soft and hard disc (to see the two extremes). Thanks for your time.

seems kind of dodgy to me. I love my players cub Ibex, and am waiting until they are released to the stores. I have a soft Summit and the others I throw regularly are in Medium , the only thing I regularly throw in firm is my Ascent and that was because at the time I didn't realize how much better the medium rubber felt. I get the same distance out of all my putters if I drive them, maybe slightly less from the summit but my thought on it is because of it being understable rather than the composition of the rubber. As soon as I do aquire a non-collectors Ibex it will more than likely become my go to mid range, just as the Trak has become my go to driver. Very similar stability to both from what I have experienced.

Any more recent comments!

I have a medium Ibex. I really like the grip. It's a neutral flyer that gives me good distance. I use it for low approaches where a putter needs more headroom. It'll hold whatever line you put on it, so if you only carry one mid, the Ibex will fill the bill... unless there's a lot of wind.

I carry it on heavily wooded courses. It's as tough as the Vibram putters and mine still doesn't have a nick in it after dozens of direct tree hits.

The disc is a winner. I'd like Vibram to make an overstable mid to pair with it.

I let a friend borrow it for a round and he liked it as a long putter too. (I use putters within 150 feet...). He was quite effective with it. He bought one.

My bag is now half Vibram. The ibex after one round with it immediately replaced my buzzzs. For the money I think that they make a great product. No disappointments with any of what I have purchased. The only disc I have not bought was the summit. I agree it would be nice to see an overstable mid range in the near future but I am more excited about a long range driver as the rest of my bag is comprised of star and flx plastics(the closest innova and discraft can come to the vibram material).

As far as the buckling comment goes, it makes sense with the soft rubber and I only throw medium now because of this, but the medium performs quite well in comparison to similar discs from other companies, putter for putter mid for mid. I like the gummy stuff, just personal preference, but have never had a problem with it. Technique and finess give you more distance than raw power anyway.

Testament to the durability, just watch the you tube videos. Enough said. I know that fishy can attest to the fact that if you put any of there discs at full rip right into a huge colorado pine it doesn't even phase it.

Aces-7

Star Valkyrie, FLX Avenger SS, FLX Surge SS, Star Archon, Ibex, VP, Sole

I have one that I've been trying to find a fit for. I love the look and feel of it and really want it to make it to the bag. However, I can't seem to get quite the same range from it as I can with my buzzz. Thrown on a low straight track, it doesn't glide nearly as much, seems to want to find the ground quickly.

X-Link Firm Ibexes (and Soles) are now available to retailers. Ask your local store to get them in stock.

Can anybody run down any differences between firms and medium Ibexes? Got a firm 173g one at the VBB today and kind of wondering if I should try and swap it for a medium since I really like that in my Summits. Thanks.

Wondering how such an awesome disc only generated 3 pages on THIS website....

All people talk about on this site are typically when a disc doesn't do something well... The Ibex does pretty much all of it well, so there isn't too much to say when you're dealing with perfection :)

I'm assuming that most of the Ibex talk is within the massive Vibram thread which I officially give up searching through.

broD:---------->isn't crazy about massive super threads re: manufacturers.

I only have the medium Ibex. It's a great disc. Any line I want. Really nice grip. I haven't tried the firms due to the fact I like the mediums so well.

I would assume the mediums would be a little tougher than the firms. Considering I like this disc "as is", I prefer the slower wearing mediums.

I have a 172 Firm Ibex in the bag and might be my favorite disc at it literally does everything well, even into a headwind which it really wasn't made for. It will turn but not just roll over into the ground which is an annoying trend for other midranges similar to the Ibex. It will hold any line I can put it on in good conditions and it will fly forever, love this disc :hfive: :thmbup:

I have a 172 Firm Ibex in the bag and might be my favorite disc at it literally does everything well, even into a headwind which it really wasn't made for. It will turn but not just roll over into the ground which is an annoying trend for other midranges similar to the Ibex. It will hold any line I can put it on in good conditions and it will fly forever, love this disc :hfive: :thmbup:

I'd agree with this. In fact, I have been forcing myself to pull out the Obex just to get to know it; since the Ibex handles winds so well, I often feel I can still get a decent fade line going.

Never threw any Vibram prior the 5/11/13 Birdie Bash ejvogie hosted at Ottawa Park. Swapped a Lace for and 172 Med Ibex and haven't looked back since... I love this disc. Definitely the straightest, and perhaps the most versatile disc in my bag. Behaves like a cross between a Buzzz and a Comet, but better than either. Let me elaborate:

I can throw this flat and hard on a line like a Buzzz, but where a Buzzz would fade fairly hard at the end (more than some holes allow for), my Ibex finishes with very little fade. I used to throttle down on a Comet for shots like that, but the Ibex much more forgiving and less touchy than the Comet.

It holds hyzer and annie lines quite nicely, and has the interesting attribute of very little skippage, which can really be nice once you get used to it. You put it where you want to and it is more likely to stay parked than a Buzzz. Plus it has nice glide and great grip. I can't believe I'm saying this, but... The Ibex has pretty much kicked my Buzzz out of my bag, maybe my Comet, too.

I haven't seen another mid that works so well for me and is so forgiving and easy to throw. It's become my workhorse mid. :D

Picked an Ibex back up today after ditching one a long time ago, and I am kicking myself for ever having let it go.

172 g, firm, and super glidey. I forgot how sneaky long this disc is. Holds a hyzer, flips to flat, holds an anny, late turn when thrown flat...this is really a workhorse mid that I am happy to bag again. Underrated, for sure. Hoping a glow Ibex is on the horizon. Need a medium one now, too.

Does anyone have a comparison between this and a Truth or Warship? Or even a preference?

My more recent experience is with the Truth. The Ibex is shorter, but more workable. Holds an anny without flexing out, but holds a hyzer well, too. On a flat pull, you'll get more fade out of the Truth, and the Truth just feels faster out of the hand. As a result, I feel the Ibex powers down better, as well.

Regarding the Warship, it's been awhile since I have thrown one, but it is also longer than the Ibex. Similar lines, though, but a little more prone to flipping over with some bad form than the Ibex.

My Ibex has less stability and less glide than the Warship. Holds an annie line nicely, and will go very straight with hardly any fade. I'd describe it as somewhere between a Buzzz and a Comet, but not as glidey as a Comet. Goes nice and straight and doesn't skip much at all... once it hits the ground, pretty much stays put.*

My Warship's like a Roc with more glide... finshes with a predictable fade, but not that much. Goes farther than the Ibex with less effort.

* whether that's good or bad is up to you and how you use it.