• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Viking

Stable

* Ace Member *
So the Viking is basically a blunt-edge Valkyrie? Are they a consistent mold in Champion plastic? Seems like it doesn't get a lot of love because it's only offered in DX and Champion. Any info. here from Viking throwers would be :thmbup:.

I've seen them to be very consistent in 170s champ.
I have a buddy I've hooked up with about ten of them I acquired in pairs or singles. he pairs a 8/10 one with a couple different for his control drivers.

Think of them as a Valkyrie-X. Really underrated distance driver, probably b/c it's not that long compared to all the faster stuff out now but it has a good combination of range and control.

Legend has it that it is one of Dave Dunipace's favorite molds.

Think of them as a Valkyrie-X. Really underrated distance driver, probably b/c it's not that long compared to all the faster stuff out now but it has a good combination of range and control.

If that was true where is the GStar Viking would definitely bag one of those. Unless it is really just a G-CD2 which I already bag.

He has mentioned it (and favorably) in at least one of his videos, and expressed surprise that it hasn't sold better. Dunno if he and Innova have plans to put the Viking out in other plastics.

Altho I've only thrown dx in the past I'd say the viking and valk are 2 different discs. Viking was a straight shooter for me while the valk has much more turn and fade when they are right out the box. These were probably my 2 most thrown discs back in my first hardcore years of playing. I don't think I'd touch a valk these days unless it was in OS plastic whereas I could see me still rocking a viking, the valk just seems to flippy and wild imo whereas a viking could probably take the place of my normal straight fairway driver. It's been years since I went hard with either disc tho.

My problem with the Viking is that it feels very shallow to me and it only comes in champion and DX. If they came in Star or G*, I'd give them a shot though.

Altho I've only thrown dx in the past I'd say the viking and valk are 2 different discs. Viking was a straight shooter for me while the valk has much more turn and fade when they are right out the box. These were probably my 2 most thrown discs back in my first hardcore years of playing. I don't think I'd touch a valk these days unless it was in OS plastic whereas I could see me still rocking a viking, the valk just seems to flippy and wild imo whereas a viking could probably take the place of my normal straight fairway driver. It's been years since I went hard with either disc tho.

100% this, always had more turn with a valk, viking will flip up to straight, and was always more predictable

Viking was one of my favorite drivers my first year. Two in DX were among my first drivers, and it was the first disc where someone said to me, "Wow! What was that?" (after a really straight drive). I lost my pink 162g champ (left it on the course after emptying my bag on a hole), orange one was hard to find in leaves, and the DX ones beat up too fast and were too US in light weights, so Starlite Valks and Teebirds, along with the Fission Volt and P Crave, bumped it out of my bag. I've been missing it lately, and have been thinking about putting it back in the bag, at least on windy days.

Viking is great but for me overlaps with teebirds too much to bag. They are about the same range as a PD, ie slightly longer than a teebird. Very straight stable, like a fresh DX teebird. If I had a bag without teebirds I would throw vikings.

Supposedly the viking was released because of how OS the champ teebird mold is. Hard to think of now but back when the teebird debuted in champ it was offputing for it to be that OS. I remember being disgusted at how uselessly OS the champ teebird was lol. Oh how times have changed.

Got myself a 175g Champion Viking in the mail yesterday and got a chance to field test it today. I was surprised at how OS it was. Definitely flies like a Valkyrie OS. I was able to give it some decent anhyzer on my FH's and it flexed out of it really consistently. Flying in the 9/4/-.5/2 range. I'm expecting to knock some of that HSS to bring it to it's actual flight ratings. Strange that it's not more popular. Discmania seems to be having more success with it's CD/CD2 molds that are very Viking-like.

Used to cycle dx and a flat red pearl. Moved on to pfn champion. Of course, the mold has changed. Dx seems to have stayed more true. I throw this disc at least once a round, but mine has gotten a bit flippy. That red pearl was the straightest thing in my bag and always faded forward. Wish I could find another one.

I bag a CD and a Valk in Champ type plastic, they both seem to have plenty of HSS - i guess a Viking would be about the same? maybe more predictable than the Valk-? all 3 in Champ type plastic would seem to benefit from some full speed tree impacts :)

Funny Viking story:

The Proto Viking used the zipper top. Innova had tooled a replacement part for the zipper top at the same time, so when the disc went into full production they used the replacement top. Dave Dunipace bagged the Viking, but all of his were Proto Vikings. He wondered out loud on the PDGA message board as to why the Viking didn't sell becasue he loved it, but it didn't sell. Everybody just kept throwing Valks.

About three years later the Tee-Rex was released. When the disc went into production there was an uproar becasue they were not the same as the Proto Tee-Rex. Not as fast and not as stable. Innova was trying to figure it out and realized that the Proto Tee-Rex used the zipper top and the regular production run used the replacement top. The replacement top was defective and the resulting discs sucked.

So then they looked at what other discs had the replacement zipper top and...ta da! That disappointing sales dud The Viking was there. The Viking for three years was slower and less stable than a Valk, the opposite of what it was advertised as. Dave D. was still throwing Protos and had no idea.

The Viking was fixed so now it's actually a Valkyrie X like it should be. By the time they fixed it, The Destroyer was out. Discs had already gotten a lot faster and longer than the Viking. That window of opportunity for that disc to become a staple in people's bags was gone. It's still a really nice disc, pairs well with Valks, etc. It just suffers from a botched release.

That's interesting, I love all those discs except the destroyers as I havnt' thrown it yet. They were all my go to discs 4-5 years ago.

I have a few of the early stock stamp Zipper Tops.

Both red champ plastic with rainbow stamps.

One of them actually looks like a record, the lines stand out so much.

They start off decently OS and then beat into lasers.

Picked up later runs and like 3 Putt said, they just don't fly the same.

I've been meaning to try a CD2 in its place.

Vikings are OK, but the actual disc I think that was botched was the FL. It was snuck in as the unannounced L mold Firebird during the CE period. Once people figured out there were two molds, you would look at your Firebirds (which you wanted to be as beefy as possible) and go "OH, NO! I HAVE L MOLDS!!!" Even after that when it was moved over to the Pro Firebird, the Pro Firebirds were the Firebirds you didn't want. Who wants a less stable Firebird?

Take that same mold, give it a totally new name and introduce it in 2001 or 20002 as a faster TeeBird or more stable Valkyrie and watch it sell. Instead, it's a forgotten mold that nobody throws. Nobody wants the less stable Firebird.

They've already planned releases for 20002? Shows a lot of faith in the market. :p

Latest posts