• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Waddleman's Bag of Assorted Junk

waddleman

Bogey Member
OK so been in the process of shoring up my bag, hoping to eventually convert it to fewer molds once I season this bag in by the end of summer, but here's what it stands at now

Drivers
175g Champ X-Cal: Distance+Meathook (Newish)
168g Star Tee-Devil: Max D (New)
170g Champ Viking: Straight Distance (Broken in)
171g DX Sidewinder: US Driver spot (Broken in)

Fairways(Some Recent Cassualties)
(170g Neutron Shock soon to be added)
(Possibly DX Teebird Coming in too)
166g X-Cyclone

Mids
175g GL Mace: Just plain good (New)
169g DX Roc: Worn in all perty like (Worn)
168g DX Skeeter: US slot, bit goofy but gets the job done (Worn)

Putters
172g (OLD plastic) Classic Roc: Too short for mids, too long for putters. Fits right in. (Beat to hell and back)
168g Glo Magic: Pairs with the wizard beautifully (Like new)
169g RFF Wizard: Off the tee? Yup. Approaches? Yup. Chains? You Ruth Bader believe it. (little wear)

So that's it, critique away!

Last edited:
Few basic questions. How long have you been playing, how far are you getting each category of disc, etc. Check the template thread out.

Kept seeing views increase w/no post, so I figured I'd start somewhere :)

Been playing just over a year, mostly FH drives. For distance I can push my FH out to 400+ if I'm just tossing in a field, on a course it's probably more like 350 max that I can place accurately. If it's open enough I'll throw the teedevil or Xcal if I need to flex real hard, but other than that it's just Viking/Cyclone/Mace all day.

As for BH I'm pretty terrible. I'm slowly getting better thanks to my friends actually having good BH form and helping me out, but 300 (sadly this is a significant improvement) is still as far as I get with my Viking and that's lucky to even take it that far. In rounds I don't throw the Viking, Teedevil, or Xcal and only rarely use the sidewinder. I'm trying to stay to slower stuff until I can handle the bigger discs, but due to me having terrible form and usually throwing FH progress is rather slow.

Last edited:
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 1+ year discing
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHFH (most shots, aprox 60-75%), RHBH (Improving), Thumbers (gettin out of trouble)
Distance: Wizard: 200/240'; Mace: 265/310'; Cyclone: 300'/350'; TeeDevil: 350'/415' (These are FH distances, BH tops out around 300, don't throw anything past the sidewinder)

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, bowling
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I like the shots I can cover with it, like that most discs are friendly to FH and BH for the most part. Don't like my lack of fairway drivers (thanks water holes), would rather have more discs of fewer molds.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to bring my BH up to speed, and get accurate out to my max distance with my FH
Immediate and long-term goals:
Short term: Get my bh down so I can throw out to 300 accurately
Long term: Push my FH Golf D out to where my max is now, maybe get max BH d out to around 350ish

Bag:

Drivers:
175 Champ X-Cal (Newish) - Big Flex/Meathook
168 Star Tee-Devil (New) - Max D
172 N Shock (New) - Overstable Driver
170 Champ Viking (Broken in) - Main/Stable Driver
171 DX Sidewinder (Broken in) - US Driver

Fairway:
166g X-Cyclone (Broken in) - Fairway duties

Mids:
175g GL Mace (New) - S/OS Mid, workhorse
169g DX Roc (Worn) - N/S Mid, Touchier shots/Tight windows
168g DX Skeeter (Worn) - US Mid, Anny, Turnover, Out of Trouble Roller, etc

Putters:
172g (OLD plastic) Classic Roc (Super Beat) - Tweener shots
168g Glo Magic (Like New) - US partner for the Wizard
169g RFF Wizard (Little wear) - Do it all, drives, putts, approaches, awesome

little update and with the formating now

Last edited:
As you've stated improving your backhand as a goal, i would include some more neutralish midranges (buzzz, roc, comet) to throw backhand. in general there isn't much slow stuff in the bag which isn't unusual for a forehand dominant thrower, but if you want to improve your backhand i would include some of those things.

Some updates due to lost/Changing Discs. Red is gone/removed, blue is new.

Drivers:
175 Champ X-Cal (Newish) - Big Flex/Meathook Removed for now, Shock has taken over hard fade duties and I haven't thrown it in 3 rounds. Just not playing courses that need the super long super flexy shot right now.
167 Star Tee-Devil (New) - Max D
172 Champ Sidewinder (Broken in) - N/US Driver, loving this thing so far

Fairway:
177g HPP Apache (New) - Heavier than the Cyclone, hopefully longer/bit more stable too

Mids:
175g GL Mace (New) - S/OS Mid, workhorse
169g DX Roc (Worn) - N/S Mid, Touchier shots/Tight windows

Mace went in the drink, gave the DX roc to a friend starting out.
178g SureGrip Warrior (New) - OS mid
168g SureGrip Scout (New) - Stable Mid

DX Skeeter (Worn) - US Mid, Anny, Turnover, Out of Trouble Roller, etc

Putters:
175g FLX Challenger (Newish) - Fighting it out with the Wizard, even if it doesn't come out on top, still like it more for drives

Giving gateway a try here, see how it works out.

Last edited:
This is kinda just nit picking, and might not even be accurate, but I would classify the shock, Viking and sidewinder in the same category as the apache. They are all speed 9 I believe and I would look at them together. Whether you want to call them all "fairways" or "drivers" doesn't really matter to me.

I've never thrown an apache, but do you see much overlap between the apache and the Viking? Their flight numbers are almost identical, though it seems the apache might get a little more glide?

I started out using Skeeters, and was very pleased when I moved on from them to Comets. There are a lot of wider diameter neutral midranges (Tangents, Comets, heavy Opto Fuses) that will do what your Skeeter does but offer you more consistency and versatility, IMHO. Just a bit of food for thought.

Yeah the Apache I'm not really sure on 100%. I haven't gotten the 3 gateway discs just yet (just ordered them), and if it ends up being that long I'm sure there'll be some overlap there. I know the rim size is that of a 9 speed, but I've heard the bead slows it down, doesn't quite fly like a real 9 speed driver. I really like beaded discs, and I love the cyclone having it on a fairway driver, so I figured I'd just try it out. If it cost more than 8 dollars I probably would've went with something else, I'll see in a few days how it really flies.

I have been looking to change up my skeeter with a comet, x-comet will probably be my next buy, just needed to fill some genuine holes instead of changing/upgrading slots I have covered already.

X-Cal is out for now, haven't thrown it in ages

Drivers:
167 Star Tee-Devil (New) - Max D
172 Champ Sidewinder (Broken in) - N/US Driver, loving this thing so far

Fairway:
177g HPP Apache (New) - Don't quite know yet, still feeling this guy out, but it's interesting and the bead feels nice on a driver.
(175+ FLX-Cyclone to come, possibly a 170ish FLX or X cyclone too)

Mids:

178g SureGrip Warrior (New) - OS mid, really cruises yet dominates wind. Big fan
168g SureGrip Scout (New) - Flies somewhat like a touch slower Z-Buzz, pretty much exactly what I wanted. Little less speed, tad more glide. Like it so far, really excited to see how it beats in.
168 DX Skeeter (Worn) - US Mid, Anny, Turnover, Out of Trouble Roller, etc

Putters:
175g FLX Challenger (Newish) - Still fighting with the wizard, think I might just have to bag both. I like grabbing both going up to a putt and going with whichever feels better right then.

Like the gateway stuff for now, bag seems pretty settled for now outside of the new FLX-Cyclone on the way.