• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Want to disc up a bit, what should I look into?

Jmorri67

Par Member
Right now I throw almost exclusively Teebirds, an Underworld, and a firebird (and midranges) off the tee. I'd like to try some higher speed (maybe 10-11) drivers, just to see how I like them. What would be some good discs to look for?

It depends on the flight characteristics your looking for in the disc/s. But in general the Orc, Wraith, PD & Surge are all good discs in that speed range.

It depends on the flight characteristics your looking for in the disc/s. But in general the Orc, Wraith, PD & Surge are all good discs in that speed range.

I agree with this.
If you want to take the very next step, I'd suggest throwing some PD's. From mid to upper 160's P lines to max weight C lines, you can cover most understable, straight and overstable duties.
From there I would suggest Wraiths, where you can get one in each plastic and be able to cover a lot of shots.
I personally throw Teebirds, PD's and Wraiths and I feel like I have a lot of distances and lines covered.

champ tern 169g or so

westside king in tournament plastic
don't let the numbers on the king fool ya. they are waaaay off. the king is a flippy high speed driver for sure.

champ tern 169g or so

westside king in tournament plastic
don't let the numbers on the king fool ya. they are waaaay off. the king is a flippy high speed driver for sure.

Both of those discs are a higher speed than what the OP asked for. :doh: Also to the OP all speed 14 discs by Latitude are really just speed 13 discs by Innovas numbers.

Been meaning to ask: are all the numbers 1 off from Innova, or just the highest?

I'm not 100% sure on that but I do know that Latitude added a number somewhere in there. I've heard for multiple people say that they added the extra number somewhere in the Drivers. I'm almost 100% sure that the Putters & Mids are the same as as Innovas though. I'll put it like this, if its a distance driver just subtract -1 from the speed to get it's "Innova Speed Rating". Even Marshall Street Flight Guide says the King is speed 13. Flight number don't mean much anyway, the size of the rim, PLH & dome have a lot to do with how the disc flies.

Last edited:
Another vote for PDs and wraiths. PDs are making their way back into my bag, last year they were too much for me, now they fly like...well, you know. Just glad I kept them. Wraiths are my max distance discs(signature throw is a 400' laser beam with a beat-in wraith).

Id suggest a surge, it was my first higher speed disc after throwing rocs and aviars exclusively. Also like the beast, a champ will be decently stable when new and turn into a straight flier. What shots are you trying to cover? Do you play heavily wooded courses, or more open style?

Id suggest a surge, it was my first higher speed disc after throwing rocs and aviars exclusively. Also like the beast, a champ will be decently stable when new and turn into a straight flier. What shots are you trying to cover? Do you play heavily wooded courses, or more open style?

I agree with your Surge suggestion (I suggested it myself), but I totally disagree with your description of how a Beast should fly. Maybe you don't throw that far or have bad form but every Beast I've ever thrown is at least a tad understable. I have a 175 Champ Beast that I just recently took outta my bag & even when it was brand new it was slightly understable.

I had a hard time fitting PDs in my bag. Having teebirds and firebirds, I felt like I didn't gain much distance over them to justify a stable of Pd's. I also didn't have the patience to beat in an S-Line. They're good wind discs though. The P-PD is a glidey hyzerflip machine, but they beat in pretty quick, at least the hard ones do. A Saint or a Viking or dare I even mention, P. Volt, are similar in flight and application on the course, and far more durable than a P-PD.

My vote is for Beast. Definitely a distance driver and not in that weird "long fairway driver" or "control driver" range. Very neutral stability and very controllable. They vary a lot in PLH, so you can find really stable and really flippy ones out of the box and in premium plastic. Not everyone sees this as a good thing, but I do.

You might also go a little faster and try some Pro Wraiths. Medium durability, tons of glide, good stability to start with and eventually wear into great turnover/roller discs.

Both of those discs are a higher speed than what the OP asked for. :doh: Also to the OP all speed 14 discs by Latitude are really just speed 13 discs by Innovas numbers.

numbers schnumbers I am going by real world throwing experience. the tern is a very easy disc to throw despite its speed rating. people get caught up in the numbers. lol they are a good reference point of what the manufacturer wants them to be but most of the time due to plastic cooling, plh weight and whatnot they are not that accurate.

PLH, weight & dome has a lot to do with stability but how far are you throwing a Champ Beast consistently?
320ish I suppose. The two I have are both 175 and champion. I don't like that combination. I rarely throw them. BTW, the Dx Beasts I've had were almost Archangel flippy.

numbers schnumbers I am going by real world throwing experience. the tern is a very easy disc to throw despite its speed rating. people get caught up in the numbers. lol they are a good reference point of what the manufacturer wants them to be but most of the time due to plastic cooling, plh weight and whatnot they are not that accurate.

I agree the flight number given by companies don't mean much but look at the rim differences. A King's rim width is 2.3cm (Speed 13) & the PD's rim width is 1.9cm (speed 10). That may not seem like a lot but that is a big difference when it comes to discs & flight characteristics. The bigger the rim the harder it is to get a disc up to speed/it's proper flight characteristics. So if the OP isn't ready for faster discs (a.k.a bigger rim) faster discs (like the King) will act more overstable than they are intended to be. Plus the OP specifically asked for speed 11 or 12 discs. Even if though the flight characteristics given by companies aren't more than just guides you still didn't listen to his request.

I agree the flight number given by companies don't mean much but look at the rim differences. A King's rim width is 2.3cm (Speed 13) & the PD's rim width is 1.9cm (speed 10). That may not seem like a lot but that is a big difference when it comes to discs & flight characteristics. The bigger the rim the harder it is to get a disc up to speed/it's proper flight characteristics. So if the OP isn't ready for faster discs (a.k.a bigger rim) faster discs (like the King) will act more overstable than they are intended to be. Plus the OP specifically asked for speed 11 or 12 discs. Even if though the flight characteristics given by companies aren't more than just guides you still didn't listen to his request.

he probably suggested those speeds because he didn't think he could throw anything faster. todays disc technology is aiming at allow people to throw these high speed discs even if they are bombing drives. have you ever thrown a king? it's like a faster longer leopard and dang near just as easy to turnover.
sorry if i didn't rattle off speed 10 and 11 drivers. if you want to e technical thats the speeds he asked about not 11 or 12 speed. their are probably some speed 10 and 11 drivers that he probably can't throw.

Latest posts