• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Want to disc up a bit, what should I look into?

TO THE OP:

I just dropped from Destroyers to OLFs and have been having great success. For the last four years or so, I've been rocking Destroyers but now that I'm past 30 and my injuries are keeping up with me, I was really sacrificing a lot of control and having to "muscle" my Destroyers to do what I wanted them to. This is never a good thing, and it was starting to effect my entire throwing abilities, from putter on up.

So I took some advice from a lot of people on here and got me a QOLF 1.2 and a SOLF. Love 'em! They are in that weird "control driver/distance driver" category like your Firebirds. (I was told the OLF has a Firebird wing) But they are less OS than your Firebird, meaning you can work them more and get better distance. My QOLF is a wind-fighter...very straight with a good, forward penetrating fade. My SOLF I got at PIAS so it has already been well-loved and flies like a shorter, beat Pro Destroyer. Between that and my Terns I'm getting all my long distances covered.

But if you want to move a tic up, definitely look into Wraiths or Destroyers. They always flew the same for me, with Destroyers being a bit longer. Both are great discs available in a variety of plastics to suit your needs.

If u r throwing understable high speed drivers 350 straight the disc isn't doing what it should because its not getting up to speed. i throw escapes just as far as i throw anything. by the way op... an escape would be a good option if u like teebirds i know its a 9 speed but its sneaky long and very easy to throw and i actually gain more than 5 ft of distance over my teebirds because i can get it UP TO SPEED very easily

I have two bio Escapes. Love them. Can't throw them as far as my Renegades or Terns, so they don't get the start when I play holes over about 320 or so. Played a few rounds with them and a Fury. Was fun. May do again, but I know I'm giving up on a few holes when I do it.

TO THE OP:But if you want to move a tic up, definitely look into Wraiths or Destroyers. They always flew the same for me, with Destroyers being a bit longer. Both are great discs available in a variety of plastics to suit your needs.

:hfive: I know quite a few people that say Destroyers are more overstable than Wraiths (which isn't true). The fact that they fly the same for you (besides getting the Destroyer farther) prooves you have the arm for them & are getting them up to speed. :clap:

:hfive: I know quite a few people that say Destroyers are more overstable than Wraiths (which isn't true). The fact that they fly the same for you (besides getting the Destroyer farther) prooves you have the arm for them & are getting them up to speed. :clap:

Since when have wraiths been more overstable than destroyers

Wraiths are stable to slightly understable where Destroyers are Stable to slightly over stable

Makes sense, I have limited experience with Wraiths compared to Destroyers. I thought that they were the same stability but that the Destroyer had more distance potential. I haven't throw a Wraith in quite a few year & my distance has improved since then. That's why I assumed they were he same stability b/c last time I through one it was mostly likely more overstable then, compared to if I threw on now.

I haven't read every response, but I went from throwing just underworlds and teebirds up to fuzion trespass and vip sword. The sword is nice, but the trespass just knocked me over. I will probably just start throwing them exclusively, as they flex very nice and should break in to turn over nicely.

The rim feels much more manageable than the other high speed drivers I have tried including: the lace, the bolt, the destroyer, the wraith, the nuke and the surge. Idk if it actually is a smaller rim than all of those, but I know it fits me much better.

Also, I can barely hit 300, so i feel like the trespass is a fair option for noodle arms.

I have read all the responses. It doesn't take long to realize when some people throw a disc it behaves very differently than when other people throw them. I think high spin and high speed are almost synonymous in how a disc flies. The up to speed phrase is sort of misleading although accurate. Throwing your disc all arm, and not enough snap, may very well get up to that speed, but without the spin it wont retain that speed for long.

This is why the hips, and timing are so important. It efficiently adds arm speed and distance people would have never thought they were able to do before.

Recommendations for the op:

Star valk, these things crush and over the course of wearing in will teach you hyzer flips, and line shaping, huge distance potential. Medium wing, 9 spd.

Star sidewinder: it will probably start straight with fade but will beat in, and start turning a lil more as time goes. I believe its a 10 speed. This is one of the longest discs I've ever thrown. Learning to play the wind, makes this a very capable bomber.

Z predator: I'd suggest 170g or less if you can't hit 400 yet cause they can be beefy. Controllable overstable flight paths that beats into an excellent control driver. Roughly 10 speed.

I love renegades, and they are excellent as well. Personally, dynamic has some sweet lucid plastic. This or a westside northman. Very controllable, 10/11 spd discs that were instant distance adders for my buddies who max at 350.

From a Teebird, I would step up to a 9-speed Viking or a Saint for awhile before getting a Beast or an Orc. It's not a huge difference, but I think it's a step worth taking. I did it and ended up putting away my Beasts and going back to the Viking.

As for the "getting it up to speed" convo: My main driver is a 169g Champion Viking. Has been for years (minus the Beast era). I carry a 165g Pro Destroyer in my bag because I use it for shots where I need a nice, massive meat hook at the end of the drive to get around some obstacle.

Why does it have a nice, massive meat hook at the end for me? Because I'm not getting the disc up to the speed it needs to give it less fade. It's massively overstable for me.

I have a buddy who can bomb a Destroyer with relatively the same S-curve path as my Viking (granted, at much farther lengths...) because he has the arm to get it up to speed.

I hate him.

Wraith is a great 11 speed disc. I throw a star echo at 175g That I can bomb. Does a nice predictable long "s-curve"

Wraith is a great 11 speed disc. I throw a star echo at 175g That I can bomb. Does a nice predictable long "s-curve"

I agree completely (maybe not at that weight, LOL).

My question is this: Should the OP jump from a speed 7 to a speed 11 without skipping a beat?

Seems like a pretty big jump to me. I have the noodliest of arms, but if I made that jump without anything in between, a Wraith would be a complete (and completely frustrating) meat hook.

Thoughts?

I agree completely (maybe not at that weight, LOL).

My question is this: Should the OP jump from a speed 7 to a speed 11 without skipping a beat?

Seems like a pretty big jump to me. I have the noodliest of arms, but if I made that jump without anything in between, a Wraith would be a complete (and completely frustrating) meat hook.

Thoughts?

Agreed. Valk, TD, high 160's ESP Surge would be better choices IMO. The Surge is just a little slower then a Wraith I think. Could work

I prefer a disc around 175g, personally i think i can get more distance and they are easier to control. I have a few discs between 150-168 and they are too finicky for me.

I can't say if jumping from 7-11 will effect this person or that, its personal. The original poster said they are throwing a Firebird which is a 9 or 10 I believe. I used to throw teebirds and leopords and now my only fairway driver is a river. There is a time and place for a fairway driver and some people can bomb them, but they aren't made for big distance. I feel like relying on one as a main driver might be more consistent but you are leaving something out, big distance, at least the potential for it.

Its like never using your 1wood and only using your 5wood in ball golf, or maybe even more like only using a 3 iron off the tee.

I prefer a disc around 175g, personally i think i can get more distance and they are easier to control. I have a few discs between 150-168 and they are too finicky for me.

I can't say if jumping from 7-11 will effect this person or that, its personal. The original poster said they are throwing a Firebird which is a 9 or 10 I believe. I used to throw teebirds and leopords and now my only fairway driver is a river. There is a time and place for a fairway driver and some people can bomb them, but they aren't made for big distance. I feel like relying on one as a main driver might be more consistent but you are leaving something out, big distance, at least the potential for it.

Its like never using your 1wood and only using your 5wood in ball golf, or maybe even more like only using a 3 iron off the tee.

The question is are you ready to use your 1 wood off the tee? When I used to play ball golf, I found that I could put the ball where I wanted it easier with a 3 wood than a 1 wood. Equal distance? No. More control? Yes.

There's too much real estate nowadays on a ball golf driver head. Sort of like a Speed 13 disc golf driver if you're not ready for it.

I don't know why the OP is throwing a Firebird, unless it's for headwind shots, but a speed 9 disc as a main driver (in my opinion) is akin going from a 5 wood (teebird) to a 3 wood (Viking/Valk/Saint) and preparing for the 1 wood (Wraith/Surge/Whatever).

"I found that I could put the ball where I wanted it easier with a 3 wood than a 1 wood. Equal distance? No. More control? Yes. "

Dude you pretty much reiterated what I said.

My 1wood was my wraith and I still love that disc, go to driver for me, but after I developed throwing it I moved on to faster discs: Bolt, Halo, Lace for extra distance and every time I play I dial these discs in more and continue to improve.

My buddy threw an eagle as his exclusive driver. I kept developing my throw w/ faster drivers and my scores started to pull away from his, where we were close before. He kept saying he couldn't understand why I could all of a sudden outdrive him and constantly beat him? I said b/c you only use a fairway driver and as consistent as it is you can't ever break 300' and usually end up around 250.' He recently got a few fast distance drivers and was horrible w/ them at first but his scores are slowly getting better and as he is getting them up to speed he is becoming a better player that can push 350' on occasion, and not a one trick pony.

Really fast drivers probably aren't for everyone especially if you don't have power. If you play on courses w/ mostly 300' holes and your fairway driver works then stick to it. If you play holes that are 400'+ and never have birdie opportunities maybe its time for a change.

Last edited:

Latest posts