• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Want to disc up a bit, what should I look into?

320ish I suppose. The two I have are both 175 and champion. I don't like that combination. I rarely throw them. BTW, the Dx Beasts I've had were almost Archangel flippy.

I'm not trying to be a d**k but the reason they aren't straight to understable for you is Champion plastic tends to make discs more overstable compared to the same mold in a different plastic & you aren't getting it up to speed. I know the inbounds inFlight Guide isn't perfect but it is the best guide you can get to show you how far you need to be able to throw a disc to get it up to speed. According to inbounds you need 391ft of distance to get a Beast up to speed. Many people are throwing drivers that they don't have enough power for. I don't usually tell people if they don't have the arm for a disc b/c people tend to take it as looking down on them or that they're "less of a man" Many people just like to remain ignorant to the fact that they don't have a cannon for an arm & that there are such things as disc that are to much for them. It's all about their ego & staying willfully ignorant. http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431#Top

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a d**k but the reason they aren't straight to understable for you is Champion plastic tends to make discs more overstable compared to the same mold in a different plastic & you aren't getting it up to speed. I know the inbounds inFlight Guide isn't perfect but it is the best guide you can get to show you how far you need to be able to throw a disc to get it up to speed. According to inbounds you need 391ft of distance to get a Beast up to speed. Many people are throwing drivers that they don't have enough power for. I don't usually tell people if they don't have the arm for a disc b/c people tend to take it as looking down on them or that they're "less of a man" Many people just like to remain ignorant to the fact that they don't have a cannon for an arm & that there are such things as disc that are to much for them. It's all about their ego & staying willfully ignorant. http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431#Top

A few things things. First, I go to inbounds almost daily. I can almost see the path of just about any driver made. Those paths, while a great guide, are not comprehensive, and plastic makes a huge difference. For instance, they don't even try to show you that the XL has a different flight for every plastic.

Second, there's a whole lot of forum people that are confused about the get up to speed bit. If someone can throw a 9 speed disc farther than an 11, there's a power issue. That's not me. With the exception of things Boss and left of there, I throw higher speed discs farther than the speed just below. I avoid 13s mostly do to release issues. Terns are my longest discs by a bit. Thene Renegades, which some people claim to be stable. I flip those quite easily.

Third, you don't have to try to be a dick to be one. :p

Not trying to be an A$$ but if you are only throwing 320 and you say that you can throw faster speed discs further than lower speed discs, are you only throwing each speed like 5 feet further because if that is the case then why risk the loss of control with a higher speed disc for only a couple more feet.

A few things things. First, I go to inbounds almost daily. I can almost see the path of just about any driver made. Those paths, while a great guide, are not comprehensive, and plastic makes a huge difference. For instance, they don't even try to show you that the XL has a different flight for every plastic.

Second, there's a whole lot of forum people that are confused about the get up to speed bit. If someone can throw a 9 speed disc farther than an 11, there's a power issue. That's not me. With the exception of things Boss and left of there, I throw higher speed discs farther than the speed just below. I avoid 13s mostly do to release issues. Terns are my longest discs by a bit. Thene Renegades, which some people claim to be stable. I flip those quite easily.

Third, you don't have to try to be a dick to be one. :p

I avoid speed 13 discs for the same reason you do. Just b/c you can throw a speed 12 disc farther than a speed 10 doesn't mean your getting it up to speed. Also I agree that inbounds isn't perfectly accurate (I mentioned that in my last post) especially b/c different weights & plastics fly differently. But you still gotta give props to inbounds b/c there isn't another site with a flight guide quite like it that I've ever found. Inbounds is still pretty close to right about the distance needed to throw a disc to achieve its intended flight characteristics. If your only getting your Beast a little over 300ft, I'm sorry but your not getting it up to speed. If your throwing a faster speed disc like a speed 12 & then throw a speed 9 disc, I'm willing to bet that your speed 12 disc only gets a few feet farther than your speed 9 disc (assuming they are close in stability). Something I've noticed is people who don't get high speed discs up to speed tend to say is "wait for the disc to beat into it's flight characteristics", which is wrong. If you have to beat in a Star Boss to make it fly like it's supposed to (like it would out of the box for someone who does get it up to speed) you don't have enough distance for it, you just beat in the disc enough. I don't think you completely grasp what getting a disc up to speed means by what you said in your last post, just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Not trying to be an A$$ but if you are only throwing 320 and you say that you can throw faster speed discs further than lower speed discs, are you only throwing each speed like 5 feet further because if that is the case then why risk the loss of control with a higher speed disc for only a couple more feet.

Not sure if you're asking a question or making a statement, but the distance between my Beasts and my Terns are a good bit more than 5 feet. Oh, and you don't have to try to be an ass to be one.

A lot of throws are hole specific. Why throw a controllable disc in an open field that will almost never result in a 2, when I can throw a longer disc under the basket sometimes with no increase in the risk of a 4?

I avoid speed 13 discs for the same reason you do. Just b/c you can throw a speed 12 disc farther than a speed 10 doesn't mean your getting it up to speed. Also I agree that inbounds isn't perfectly accurate (I mentioned that in my last post) especially b/c different weights & plastics fly differently. But you still gotta give props to inbounds b/c there isn't another site with a flight guide quite like it that I've ever found. Inbounds is still pretty close to right about the distance needed to throw a disc to achieve its intended flight characteristics. If your only getting your Beast a little over 300ft, I'm sorry but your not getting it up to speed. If your throwing a faster speed disc like a speed 12 & then throw a speed 9 disc, I'm willing to bet that your speed 12 disc only gets a few feet farther than your speed 9 disc (assuming they are close in stability). Something I've noticed is people who don't get high speed discs up to speed tend to say is "wait for the disc to beat into it's flight characteristics", which is wrong. If you have to beat in a Star Boss to make it fly like it's supposed to (like it would out of the box for someone who does get it up to speed) you don't have enough distance for it, you just beat in the disc enough. I don't think you completely grasp what getting a disc up to speed means by what you said in your last post, just my opinion though.

You are placing a lot of importance on "getting it up to speed" . I don't think you have though this through very well.

Star or Pro Wraith is the way to go for discing up. You could also look into the Northman (understable) or Boatman (stable) as well!

You are placing a lot of importance on "getting it up to speed" . I don't think you have though this through very well.

I have this thought through very well, your just misinformed. I put a lot of emphasize on getting discs up to speed b/c it's pertinent that someone only throw discs within their capabilities (assuming they're not a casual player who doesn't take this game seriously). I'll put it like this, if your not consistently throwing 400ft+ you shouldn't be throwing speed 12 discs, maybe not even speed 11 depending on the disc.

:hfive::clap::thmbup: At least someone understand.

Most of my bag has been 9 speed and under because I could not control the higher speed drivers, except for my pro wraith that I used for sidearm shots. A couple of months ago I tried a Z Surge SS 165 and Pro Orc 170 and got some much needed distance out of these discs. After about a good month of work with those discs I replaced the Orc with a Wraith and have been getting better and more accurate distance. Now I have several wraiths (Pro, Star, Champ, Blizzard, DX). IMO its ok to take small steps to work up to the faster discs. It can get expensive, but I did a lot of trading to save on costs of my learning process. Good luck finding a disc

Most of my bag has been 9 speed and under because I could not control the higher speed drivers, except for my pro wraith that I used for sidearm shots. A couple of months ago I tried a Z Surge SS 165 and Pro Orc 170 and got some much needed distance out of these discs. After about a good month of work with those discs I replaced the Orc with a Wraith and have been getting better and more accurate distance. Now I have several wraiths (Pro, Star, Champ, Blizzard, DX). IMO its ok to take small steps to work up to the faster discs. It can get expensive, but I did a lot of trading to save on costs of my learning process. Good luck finding a disc

:thmbup: Throwing lower speed discs helps out your form, distance & accuracy. I bet thats a huge reason why you did so much better when you started using disc with bigger rims/were faster than what you were previously throwing.

I use the Teebird / Firebird combo for fairway shots. My big drives come from Destroyers for max distance and hyzer bombs or the Flash when accuracy becomes more important or I need my drive to turn over.

So then how far can you actually throw then. Real world not internet talk

I have this thought through very well, your just misinformed. I put a lot of emphasize on getting discs up to speed b/c it's pertinent that someone only throw discs within their capabilities (assuming they're not a casual player who doesn't take this game seriously). I'll put it like this, if your not consistently throwing 400ft+ you shouldn't be throwing speed 12 discs, maybe not even speed 11 depending on the disc.
Yeah, you really don't understand this at all. There is no "up to speed". You can make a disc work for you or you can't.

I'll put it like this, if your not consistently throwing 400ft+ you shouldn't be throwing speed 12 discs, maybe not even speed 11 depending on the disc
Not trying to be an ass, but the above is just dumb. There is no distance required for any level of disc. Why can I throw a Tern over 340, but not a Valk? Why would anyone limit their max distance because of some internet post about disc distance rules that don't exist? :lol:

just-be-wrong-just-stand-there-in-your-wrongness-and-be-wrong-and-get-used-to-it.gif

Yeah, you really don't understand this at all. There is no "up to speed". You can make a disc work for you or you can't.

Not trying to be an ass, but the above is just dumb. There is no distance required for any level of disc. Why can I throw a Tern over 340, but not a Valk? Why would anyone limit their max distance because of some internet post about disc distance rules that don't exist? :lol:

:doh: YES there is such thing as getting a disc up to speed. Do a little research I'm 100% sure you'll find your wrong, it's all about math/physics. All I have to say is your ignorant if you think there is no distance requirement to throw a disc to get it to fly "properly"/it's intended flight characteristics. FYI just b/c you add a stupid meme doesn't mean your cleaver or that your logic is correct. I'm done arguing with lesser minds.

To quote you about yourself "Yeah, you really don't understand this at all."
just-be-wrong-just-stand-there-in-your-wrongness-and-be-wrong-and-get-used-to-it.gif

I agree with your Surge suggestion (I suggested it myself), but I totally disagree with your description of how a Beast should fly. Maybe you don't throw that far or have bad form but every Beast I've ever thrown is at least a tad understable. I have a 175 Champ Beast that I just recently took outta my bag & even when it was brand new it was slightly understable.

For a new thrower looking to upgrade to a faster disc I'd say a champ beast is pretty stable. For me, no, you're right it's a tad understable. But when I first started it was an easy to control disc that always faded left. That's all I meant ;)

For a new thrower looking to upgrade to a faster disc I'd say a champ beast is pretty stable. For me, no, you're right it's a tad understable. But when I first started it was an easy to control disc that always faded left. That's all I meant ;)

I understand where your coming from & I agree.

There is a things such as getting a disc up to the speed where the disc will fly like it was engineered to. WHy do you this all drivers fly the same if you only throw them 100' and if you throw a tern only 340 you should be throwing it. I can throw consistantly over 500 and a lot of the time I will choose to throw a teebird and not a distance driver because of the more consistant flight. And I can put a teebird over 500.

Just stick to throwing fairways until you can get those in the 350-400 range consistantly thn move up

There is a things such as getting a disc up to the speed where the disc will fly like it was engineered to. WHy do you this all drivers fly the same if you only throw them 100' and if you throw a tern only 340 you should be throwing it. I can throw consistantly over 500 and a lot of the time I will choose to throw a teebird and not a distance driver because of the more consistant flight. And I can put a teebird over 500.

Just stick to throwing fairways until you can get those in the 350-400 range consistantly thn move up

+1. If you are really going for distance, I have to agree.