• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Want to disc up a bit, what should I look into?

Right now I throw almost exclusively Teebirds, an Underworld, and a firebird (and midranges) off the tee. I'd like to try some higher speed (maybe 10-11) drivers, just to see how I like them. What would be some good discs to look for?

If you're moving up from teebirds and firebirds then you must hyzer flip your underworld as I found them very understable. If you want a stable to understable go far disc to reach longer baskets, many folks around here throw sidewinders or TDs (Star if your max teebird is under 300', champ if 300+).

If you can throw teebirds over 300' then you may want to try an s-PD, renegade, orc, archon, or astra for headwinds. If your teebird is consistently going 325' on golf lines for you I'd say an orc will add another 25' and a trespass will add 50'.

My best advise is to buy used or new from a fellow member here in our MarketPlace at a greatly reduced price. Used premium discs 7/10+ are better IMO since they are already broken in and fly like they will continue to fly for a long time.

^Buying broken in discs is a great suggestion. If you have a purely disc golf store in your area alot of them carry used discs on the cheap, or they will take trade-ins for your wantaway discs. Usually the workers there are enthusiasts and can help you find what you are looking for.

:doh: YES there is such thing as getting a disc up to speed. Do a little research I'm 100% sure you'll find your wrong, it's all about math/physics. All I have to say is your ignorant if you think there is no distance requirement to throw a disc to get it to fly "properly"/it's intended flight characteristics. FYI just b/c you add a stupid meme doesn't mean your cleaver or that your logic is correct. I'm done arguing with lesser minds.

To quote you about yourself "Yeah, you really don't understand this at all."
just-be-wrong-just-stand-there-in-your-wrongness-and-be-wrong-and-get-used-to-it.gif

For someone that claims to be so smart, that doesn't want to argue with "lesser minds", you sure do suck at spelling. Quit trying to be "Mr. Math/Physics This-disc-should-go-this-fast-to-fly-like this" and stfu and let people throw what they want to throw. Also, learn how to spell. There is a huge difference in "Your" and "You're", and YOU'RE using the wrong one very consistently. Also, a cleaver is a heavy knife used by butchers. I think the word you're thinking of is "clever". Go get hooked on phonics and stop trying to bully everyone here.

For someone that claims to be so smart, that doesn't want to argue with "lesser minds", you sure do suck at spelling. Quit trying to be "Mr. Math/Physics This-disc-should-go-this-fast-to-fly-like this" and stfu and let people throw what they want to throw. Also, learn how to spell. There is a huge difference in "Your" and "You're", and YOU'RE using the wrong one very consistently. Also, a cleaver is a heavy knife used by butchers. I think the word you're thinking of is "clever". Go get hooked on phonics and stop trying to bully everyone here.

I understand the difference between your & you're. When I'm on my phone it auto corrects a lot. And FYI there are a bunch of people who agree with me http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94651 In this thread 133 people agree with me & only one disagrees. Talk about bullying, you're the one would jumped into a conversation that didn't involve you, told me to STFU & made fun of a few words that got auto corrected. FYI I never said anyone couldn't throw a disc, I was just saying in order to get the proper flight path out of a disc you need to be able to get the disc up to speed. If you wanna throw a Boss & you only can throw 300ft, I really don't care. I'm here to help people who take this sport seriously, want to improve, be more informed & learn about the intricate workings of how a disc is in flight. The fact that you don't want to take the time to grasp topics that have to do with math & physics proves you're a lesser mind. This whole game is all math & physics. I'm sorry you don't want to have intelligent conversations & decided to act like a child. I had multiple people PM me & tell me I was correct & PMantle was just being ignorant like you're being right now. Go do some research instead of just spouting off about topics you don't know anything about to look "tough" or "cool" on the internet. Thanks for the good laugh though
Iconrotflmao.gif

Last edited:

If you want to argue with him actually come up with a good counter point instead of name calling, insulting his intelligence or whatever. It just shows you don't have a solid point to make and are now resorting to personal attacks.

I agree completely (maybe not at that weight, LOL).

My question is this: Should the OP jump from a speed 7 to a speed 11 without skipping a beat?

Seems like a pretty big jump to me. I have the noodliest of arms, but if I made that jump without anything in between, a Wraith would be a complete (and completely frustrating) meat hook.

Thoughts?

That's really hard to say without more information. Perhaps the OP has been stuck at a speed 7 because someone (rightly) told him not to throw faster stuff until he's ready...but neglected to tell him he was ready? There's lots of factors there.

And I would say going all the way up to 11 isn't such a drastic jump as going a speed higher. Speed 11 type drivers seem to be fairly managable for most players with youth and vigor on their side. It's really the speed 12s and higher that start to get really tricky.

That's really hard to say without more information. Perhaps the OP has been stuck at a speed 7 because someone (rightly) told him not to throw faster stuff until he's ready...but neglected to tell him he was ready? There's lots of factors there.

And I would say going all the way up to 11 isn't such a drastic jump as going a speed higher. Speed 11 type drivers seem to be fairly managable for most players with youth and vigor on their side. It's really the speed 12s and higher that start to get really tricky.

Haha thanks for the reply. I honestly kinda forgot about making this thread after reading a couple of pages of replies, didn't have any idea the ****storm I'd caused!

On topic, I've stayed with fairways so far because they're what I feel most comfortable with. The only reason I've been thinking about looking for higher speed stuff is for holes that are big and open where I can just bamb as far as I can. I plan on sticking to my fairways for most stuff just because I know exactly what I can do and what lines I can hit. After looking at the helpful replies here I pulled a wraith and super beat in star teerex out of my closet and threw them some today and was pretty pleased with the results. Tossed my wraith out to about 350ish a couple of times and was able to get a pretty similar flight path to the numbers. Teerex is still a little too much disc I think, was fading out right around 325 or so, but I might keep it in the bag for windy days when I don't want to use the wraith. Also tossed my D4 that I use (sparingly) for rollers and was happy to see that I'm starting to get some turn on it(when I got it it was way too much for me and meathooked pretty hard. I'll probably not be using it too much, but it was nice to see that I've improved.

Glad you found some clarity w/ all the feathers flying.

My Wraith is extremely dependable. Don't feel it is too much disc to handle when discing up. My Tee-Rex was my go to for OH and FH for the longest time but was sadly replaced and the only disc I have ever aced with, granted it was a hammer skip. I felt it didn't preform as promised in the wind and once very beat went so understable it was almost worthless.

Some people on this thread made it sound like you shouldn't attempt discing up, or doing it very conservatively, but if you feel you have the arm speed and power go for it. This game is personal and whatever you feel like you can handle you probably can, or at least work toward.

For what it is worth I have been loving my vibram lace and my lat64 drivers since trying them out, still like innova and discraft but there are other companies out there trying to enhance the game that are worth considering. Discin Fiend generally makes a lot of sense and helps people on these forums so might be worth considering what he says.

Last edited:
Haha thanks for the reply. I honestly kinda forgot about making this thread after reading a couple of pages of replies, didn't have any idea the ****storm I'd caused!

On topic, I've stayed with fairways so far because they're what I feel most comfortable with. The only reason I've been thinking about looking for higher speed stuff is for holes that are big and open where I can just bamb as far as I can. I plan on sticking to my fairways for most stuff just because I know exactly what I can do and what lines I can hit. After looking at the helpful replies here I pulled a wraith and super beat in star teerex out of my closet and threw them some today and was pretty pleased with the results. Tossed my wraith out to about 350ish a couple of times and was able to get a pretty similar flight path to the numbers. Teerex is still a little too much disc I think, was fading out right around 325 or so, but I might keep it in the bag for windy days when I don't want to use the wraith. Also tossed my D4 that I use (sparingly) for rollers and was happy to see that I'm starting to get some turn on it(when I got it it was way too much for me and meathooked pretty hard. I'll probably not be using it too much, but it was nice to see that I've improved.

Keep on the d4 the prodigy drivers are great. Check and see if your d4 has flashing on the bottom of rim. Its a thin piece of plastic leftover from the molding process. If so rub the disc lightly in circles a couple times on concrete until its gone. Really makes the d4 flippy like it is intended to be. The westside king Iin tournament plastic is also very easy to flip. It acts nothing like the numbers describe it.

Glad you found some clarity w/ all the feathers flying.

My Wraith is extremely dependable. Don't feel it is too much disc to handle when discing up. My Tee-Rex was my go to for OH and FH for the longest time but was sadly replaced and the only disc I have ever aced with, granted it was a hammer skip. I felt it didn't preform as promised in the wind and once very beat went so understable it was almost worthless.

Some people on this thread made it sound like you shouldn't attempt discing up, or doing it very conservatively, but if you feel you have the arm speed and power go for it. This game is personal and whatever you feel like you can handle you probably can, or at least work toward.

THANK YOU. Not everyone needs to throw nothing but putters for five years or whatever the hell. My arm/form/old age isn't enough for the big stuff, but there are lots of people who are. Sounds like the OP might be getting there, and doing it the right way by moving up gradually, but also not at a snails pace.

I wouldn't go max speed. If you're a noob but have a strong arm I'd go something like a 172 g or so Valkyrie. Awesome for an above average player.

he probably suggested those speeds because he didn't think he could throw anything faster. todays disc technology is aiming at allow people to throw these high speed discs even if they are bombing drives. have you ever thrown a king? it's like a faster longer leopard and dang near just as easy to turnover.
sorry if i didn't rattle off speed 10 and 11 drivers. if you want to e technical thats the speeds he asked about not 11 or 12 speed. their are probably some speed 10 and 11 drivers that he probably can't throw.

i agree here, king is a good suggestion. Easy to throw. Flow is another good one and its a tad slower than king. To the original poster, if you throw underworlds then def start throwing Bolts. Once the bolt breaks in it will be your longer underworld. On the more stable side though, villians and flows are good to try.

Latest posts