• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warlock Vs Wizard

JacksWeather

Bogey Member
I've been putting and driving with wizards for few years now, but haven't touched the warlock, 2 questions.

First of all, how does warlock compare to wizard? (putting and driving)

Secondly, I saw someone say its good to drive with stable putters, midranges, and flippy drivers when learning technique. Why not flippy putters? Wouldn't you learn even better technique throwing flippy putters than stable ones? It seems to me that I've developed some OAT cause my wizards mask my torque, I throw them around 300ft max D give and take flat and then never flip.

Warlock has no bead so is just less overstable than the wizard. It'll hold a straight line longer than a wizard (both new) and beats into a dead straight throw faster as well.

When throwing anhyzer, it's more apt to turn to a dive bomber or roller than the wizard just because of the bead and additional stability that the wizard will hold onto longer.

I like the wizard to drive and the warlock to putt. If you have some beat wizards, I'd suspect you wouldn't really need a warlock. For me though, I just started using the wizard, so had no beat ones lying around.

Also, some people find the rim of the warlock (beadless) easier to release than the wizard. Although that hasn't affected me either way.

black udder said:
Also, Dig It finds the rim of the warlock (beadless) easier to release than the wizard. Although that hasn't affected me either way.

fixed

I don't drive with them enough to give you any advice there, but I putt with both. I always carry both. I use the Wizard for most putts. Everything open/hyzer inside of 40'. It is just dead straight for me inside that range and rarely takes **** from the wind. It can hold a nice hyzer line too. The Warlock is more of a finesse putter. It is less stable than the Wizard which makes it great for anhyzer putts. It holds an anhyzer line very nicely. I also break out the Warlock for longer putts when there is little to no wind. This is nice because I can get a little more distance out of the Warlock than the Wizard without changing my form.

What about how does a Warlock compare to an Aviar? Can anyone drive around 300ft+ with the warlock, please comment on flight path if you can.

JacksWeather said:
What about how does a Warlock compare to an Aviar? Can anyone drive around 300ft+ with the warlock, please comment on flight path if you can.

I drive with the Warlock 280 ft. and under. I put a hyzer angle on it and plenty of arm and snap behind it. With the proper angle, it is dead straight. I love it for shorter drives and tight fairways. I used to drive with a Wizard, but found the Warlock (for me) to hold the line better with NO fade.

JacksWeather said:

Warlocks flew on a very similar line as a Wizard which was pretty much a hyzerflip to dead straight line. I would say the Warlock when new has similar stability as a BB Aviar.

JacksWeather said:
Why not flippy putters? Wouldn't you learn even better technique throwing flippy putters than stable ones?
The Warlock isn't really that flippy of a putter. It's still pretty high speed stable.

One thing is that many of the discs that are promoted on here as good beginner drivers happend to be understable, but still predictable discs. That combination doesn't really exist with putters. The problem with flippy putters is that they tend to be really flippy and difficult to control, even at lower power throws. They also tend to promote some bad habits when approaching. They may be good for working on eliminating OAT for your approach shots, but I haven't found they're good for much else. While stable putters may mask OAT a little bit better than a flippy putter, they're still promote good technique and what you learn when throwing them applies to midrange discs and drivers.

Even some of the more understable mids like the Shark, Buzzz and Element will fly right with good technique even if you lay into them. Flippy putters won't.

Seriously wizards and warlocks fly the same for me, the warlock will just get flippy quicker. You can practically use them interchangeably.

Frank_Delicious said:
Seriously wizards and warlocks fly the same for me, the warlock will just get flippy quicker. You can practically use them interchangeably.

Same here - even then, some wizards break in quicker for me depending on the plastic.

Frank_Delicious said:
agreed, if you wanna try something actually more understable (than a wiz) try a Magic they are pretty nice

JacksWeather said:
Secondly, I saw someone say its good to drive with stable putters, midranges, and flippy drivers when learning technique. Why not flippy putters? Wouldn't you learn even better technique throwing flippy putters than stable ones? It seems to me that I've developed some OAT cause my wizards mask my torque, I throw them around 300ft max D give and take flat and then never flip.

You want to practice with discs that go straight so that you see how your throw, not the disc, is affecting the line you get. Flippy mids and putters automatically go right when you throw them with any power. Flippy drivers go straight unless you crank 'em.

Nobody says you shouldn't ever learn to finesse drive with putters that are a little less stable though. On what discs/throws do you have OAT problems?

As a driver, the Wizard has a later and harder fade. The Warlock is a touch longer because it has no bead, but for some reason it will fight for a earlier fade.
You can throw them on similar lines. The Wizard is better in the wind, but in calm conditions, the Warlock is just as stable - even a little more (depending on the plastic).

Whatever fit your hand will be the best choice.

"question and answer"
he sat naked and drunk in a room of summer
night, running the blade of the knife
under his fingernails, smiling, thinking
of all the letters he had received
telling him that
the way he lived and wrote about
that--
it had kept them going when
all seemed
truly
hopeless.

putting the blade on the table, he
flicked it with a finger
and it whirled
in a flashing circle
under the light.

who the hell is going to save
me? he
thought.

as the knife stopped spinning
the answer came:
you're going to have to
save yourself.

still smiling,
a: he lit a
cigarette
b: he poured
another
drink
c: gave the blade
another
spin.

Bukowski rules.

Craig said:
Frank_Delicious said:

Same here - even then, some wizards break in quicker for me depending on the plastic.
Yeah, I've tested them since they should be different but for me they are exactly the same. For me there is more difference between a Wizard and a Chief (which are supposed to be the same mold) than a Wizard and a Warlock.

Latest posts