• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warlock??

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few protos.
They are a faster wizard, less overstable, super sweet fliers.

They are also solid in the hand, and are nice to putt with. I used mine on a few 25 footers that had to stay low (BIRDIES!). 8)

I told someone I thought they were like "an aviar on steroids". :shock:
They are an aviar-like disc in the best plastic available (Gateway's S).

I'm carrying one in the bag to show off, I do like the way it flies and putts.
It has also become my new favorite chillin' spinner. :D

I have one but I haven't been able to throw it outside due to schedule constraints and no post-work daylight.

I've thrown it for a few 20-footers in my house, and it seems to fly true; though that is a short indoor flight so I'm not drawing any conclusions based on that.

It feels and fits great in my hands. I dig the shape and beadless rim. And I firmly believe that Gateway's S plastic is proof that God is a disc golfer. :p ;)

About the only thing I can say that I'm not crazy about so far is that my thumb sometimes hits the hotstamp when I grip it preparing for a putt; but the same thing goes for Discraft's printing on the inside rim of their discs. I sometimes have to regrip those to find a smooth spot, so no biggie.

sleepy

I just got mine in the mail today. seems ok i suppose. really, from the looks its an aviar p+a with a minimally different dome. I too have only gotten to throw it on some 20 footers in the house but I havent missed with it yet :lol: The plastic does feel nice, even for the typical S plastic (not sure if its just the newness or if they have furthur perfected the perfect plastic). I am interested to see how it does on longer putts as I am more the straight at the basket kind of putter. Not sure if it will make a permanent spot in my bag though.

swel, I felt it was straighter on longish putts than the wiz. like I said, for me its great for lower traj. "right at it" putts. Fast and not flippy. :D

I got mine on Monday, so I haven't had too much time to get out with them.

I wanted it for longer putts, and so far I like it's okay for that. I threw a few from 50-70' and it acted a lot like my beat Wizards. Outside of 75, on the throw and pray type putts, they were much straighter and quite nice. Inside of 30, I actually did find them different than my Wizards. I putt with a very slight loft and rely on the disc's fade to hit the sweet spot. These were too straight and didn't fade in nicely like my Wizards.

I haven't tried driving with them yet, and I think that will decide whether or not I keep them in the bag. Damn Wizards just take too long to break into a good turnover disc, so this might replace until I may *finally* get a Wizards beat in. My oldest Wiz is about a year, but it's a Firm so still stable, my next oldest are my putters which are getting beat but they're black and I won't throw them except for putting.

So I like the feel of them. They feel like a Wizard Putt & Approach, to mix companies. Keeps the convex rim, but no bead. Anyone else that has these notice a strange smell to the plastic? It has like a sweet smell to it.

By the way, I hate the stamp. Whoever voted on the PDGA board for choice #3, I'm not happy with you.

bigs348 said:
So I like the feel of them. They feel like a Wizard Putt & Approach, to mix companies. Keeps the convex rim, but no bead.

My sentiments exactly. I have had one for about a month. I haven't played too much with it (cold temps and snow on the ground), but it is a very comfortable disc in the hand and a very neutral disc in flight. I don't have it in my bag now because I have too many other discs in there fighting for space.

I must admit the Warlock is by far better then the wizard less overstable flys true. Get in about 30+ feet is fly staright as a arrow.

The best putter out there on the market right now. Bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone tried driving it yet? Very curious how it drives. Mine is coming in the mail but it's 10 degrees out and there's a ton of snow so it'll be awhile before I get to try it :(

Drives good.alot of the worshiping from my last post is referring to driving the Warlock.

When I got mine in December, and was home for the holidays in a warmer climate, i got to throw them for about a week around my house. I thought they were really good for making some decent runs at the basket from 70-100 ft. I don't jump put that distance normally, and found the warlocks to not fly too far past the basket if I missed. The just kind of stalled and stopped. The thing I don't know yet is if the disc is going to replace my beat wizard for those type of shots. I've also heard people may that these things are longer than the wizard off the tee. So far, I've had mixed results (more bad than good) throwing this thing for my short drives. Once it warms up, I'll give it a proper workout. I have both the glows, and one of the supersofts, but I think this disc in the E plastic has some serious potential.

Got mine in the mail today. These things feel so sweet. I wish the last batch of wizards I bought were made out of this plastic instead of the real slick stuff they used a few months back. I agree it could definitely be called the Wizard P&A. The disc is a Wizard top with a P&A bottom.

Haven't thrown them yet as all 3 are white and there is a foot of snow on the ground outside (and it's 9 degrees). Lucky for me I got the Skylands classic and 06 MSDGC in the mail yesterday. That should fill the dg need for now.

I'm really hoping that the Warlock turns into a Wizard that goes straight and finishes right. Also turnover putter drives are a shot I don't have yet (because I only throw wizards and the most beat one only goes straight - no turn) and am hoping the Warlock fills this gap as well. I'm hoping the next batch out are the same as these plastic wise. If they are, and they fly like I hope they will, I'll have to pick up a bunch before Gateway starts "tinkering" with them. Best S plastic from them in a while.

This disc for me is really good for a lot of the shots yall are talking about. I have used it when in trouble having to do a turnover shot around a tree or something and it held the line perfect. Also its a great drive I use it when I need a longer straighter line with fade to the right. Its basically a beat in wizard for me.

I thought the warlock was just a beedless wizard anyway? I dont have any wizards that have the sharp of a bevel on the bottom. Personally I dont think the shape feels so much like a wizard as an aviar.

I wish the last batch of wizards I bought were made out of this plastic instead of the real slick stuff they used a few months back.
I second that. My warlock isnt marked for firmness but Id say its a soft, and its got very nice grip too it. Dont get me wrong, I like my wizards, but the softs I have are noticibly slicker than this new warlock.

lmf1030 said:
Bigs get some Warlocks you wont be sorry.Trust me..

Oh, I got some alright, and I can't wait to get them out on the course. I just think saying they're better than the Wizard is a little over the top for my taste... :D :shock: :D

Furthur said:
Justin, when do you use a beat warlock over a beat wizard, and vice versa?

With putters my bag is pretty much like this...

Beat soft putter that's my putter only time I use it is for jump puts I'm worried about going to far with.

Then I have a beat e wizard I use it a lot for drives mostly and that's about it.

The beat warlock is the bomb though. I use it when I need a slow right turning shot or I use it for soft forehand turnovers to.

I also use the warlock for jump putts so mainly its not vice versa I use the wizard for putting and warlock for just about everything else. The main reason for that is when I do shots around 100 ft when its not a jump putt I do a fork grip. The warlock not having the bead doesn't catch my middle finger. The wizard will catch my finger some times.

Sorry if any thing is wrong typed I tried to do this on the bus home from our baseball game. Will fix anything I notice later. Also hope this answered your question

Latest posts