• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warmup routines?

I am just too eagar to throw the discs that I get anxious and don't stretch long enough. Usually shake out the arms, touch my toes and then throw. My whole routine takes about 8 seconds.

So i'm going to go ahead and call out all the 'no warm up' guys that have posted thus far... If any of you can out drive me in terms of distance towards a far pin, I'll buy you a case of beer. By far pin, I mean something in the 600 ft range. I imagine most of the folks talking about not warming up are throwing closer to the 300 ft range and don't need a warm up because it doesn't tax their arm so hard.

So i'm going to go ahead and call out all the 'no warm up' guys that have posted thus far... If any of you can out drive me in terms of distance towards a far pin, I'll buy you a case of beer. By far pin, I mean something in the 600 ft range. I imagine most of the folks talking about not warming up are throwing closer to the 300 ft range and don't need a warm up because it doesn't tax their arm so hard.

i dont throw 300' but am curious to hear how far you throw

I find 15 minutes of yoga stretches and 15 minutes of resistance bands before going out prepares my physical, along with mental, focus.

It usually takes me about six holes before I'm really in the groove. But when I try to warm up before my first throw, it all seems so pointless! I wanna throw plastic, I don't want to do stretches!

Anybody have a warmup routine that gets you up to speed without you feeling like you're wasting your time or looking like a dork?
if the course your playing works its way back to the parking lot after 6 or 9 holes go back to one and start really playing then, and if your doing good and keeping your score dont restart just keep playing

golf distance of about 450 with pretty good accuracy, and 500+ if I really lay into a throw.

but can you putt??? not trying to sound like a smartass but me personally i dont care how far people can drive, the "true game" is all about putt and approach.... hell ill be honest my max bh is only 300' and fh is 385-400'....yet i still beat guys throwin 400+..on an open or tight course...

soooo.....i wont take your bet but ill counter with another bet....lowest score in a round wins, you can even pick the course :)...if you come to texas cuz im damn sure not drivin all the way up to colorado lol

***back to the original topic, i spend 5 minutes streching, putt for 10-15min, then empty my bag in the field starting at understable to most overstable discs.

Last edited:
I'll bang putts and maybe throw a drive or 2. Unless its cold then ill throw alot of drives to get my arm / hand worked out.

I stretch my muscles before and after each time I play. Then I throw about a dozen practice shots.

I'd rather look like a dork then an injured dork.

I second this. At 49 If I don't stretch before I start my body tightens up and I play lousy. I spend about 1/2 hour practice putting and then working through my driving motion if I have time also.

but can you putt??? not trying to sound like a smartass but me personally i dont care how far people can drive, the "true game" is all about putt and approach.... hell ill be honest my max bh is only 300' and fh is 385-400'....yet i still beat guys throwin 400+..on an open or tight course...

soooo.....i wont take your bet but ill counter with another bet....lowest score in a round wins, you can even pick the course :)...if you come to texas cuz im damn sure not drivin all the way up to colorado lol

My putting is pretty good because I have a practice pin in the backyard. To be honest, I sometimes struggle on shorter more technical holes through the woods. When I have to take something off of my throws, I don't place them as accurately. I'm a lot more likely to hit trees when the pin is in the 200-250 ft range than I am if it's 400. I had to take a long hiatus from disc golf to recover from a shoulder surgery, and the short range accuracy has been the hardest thing for me to find again.

Sorry for 'calling out the no warm up folks', but everyone I know that can really put some heat on a disc warms up before throwing, and I drank a wee bit too much whiskey last night and was just feeling riley.

If I make it down to texas, I'll hit you up, and we can settle this like gentleman... on the course.

so can we see a video?

I have never posted digital video before, but I guess this gives me a good excuse to give it a go. I have a normal film camcorder and a digital still camera with limited video capabilities. I can hook up the camcorder to the PC , and view it there, but not sure how to convert it to a digital file. I can do it with the digital still cam, but not sure what the quality and length of clip would be. Guess this warrants a new thread for techie folks to find a solution to my questions.

I know a lot of folks claim bigger drives than what they do, but I'll happily stake my reputation on my previous statements. I've always had a big arm in any throwing sport... just a god given talent. Been playing long enough to know how to really put some mustard on a disc.

Not sure if you're meaning to 'call me out' (much like I did before), but if I don't have the digital vid sorted out by labor day, I'll find one of the CO folks on DGCR going to our ace race to watch a few big shots at bird's nest and confirm my statements.

Last edited:
I am just a rec player, but I always spend about 5 minutes streching just so I don't feel so tight in my shoulders. most windmills and other back and arm stretchs. then I cap it off with some putting or catch for another 5 minutes. I find it really helps get the blood flowing and I start rounds better.

I am just a rec player, but I always spend about 5 minutes streching just so I don't feel so tight in my shoulders. most windmills and other back and arm stretchs. then I cap it off with some putting or catch for another 5 minutes. I find it really helps get the blood flowing and I start rounds better.
good point getting the blood flowing keeps the sting away

I usually do a couple of shoulder rolls and stretch my neck and shoulders a little before I start playing. I also try not to bomb it the first couple of holes. Most courses are set up to ease you into it a little I think.

I do minimal stretches, but I am going to take advice here and start with some putting, then mid-range then distance. I haven't played that many times seeing that I've just started playing seriously. However, after going out on the course yesterday with my husband, my arm was hurting something fierce. I think it has more to do with incorrect form, but I need to do what I can to avoid injury. By the end of the course, I was doing so awful because it was painful to throw. I did have a few good drives as there was no pain after the throw (hence why I think it's form).

Either way, I'm warming up next time throwing discs and doing a light jog to retrieve them. When I exercise, usually about 10-15 mins in, I find the same tasks I did at the beginning of the routine much easier due to the muscles warming up. So, I believe warming up is probably one of the most important things you can do.

i have started practicing my throws and doing shoulder rolls to lossen up a little bit before my first few throws, i havent noticed a difference yet though.

I stretch constantly in fact I'm stretching right now. If I really need to be sharp I'll run a little bit, jumping jacks, run in place. Really anything to alert the heart and muscles that they are about to have some unrealistic expectations thrown their way.

Latest posts