• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warmup routines?

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
It usually takes me about six holes before I'm really in the groove. But when I try to warm up before my first throw, it all seems so pointless! I wanna throw plastic, I don't want to do stretches!

Anybody have a warmup routine that gets you up to speed without you feeling like you're wasting your time or looking like a dork?

I start by putting. Then I slowly drive my putters until I feel warmed up. Start slow.
Also if you are with someone, play catch with a putter or midrange.

I stretch my muscles before and after each time I play. Then I throw about a dozen practice shots.

I'd rather look like a dork then an injured dork.

Stretch>putt>throw putters and midranges, concentrating on timing

Stretching is SUPER important. Make sure to stretch your throwing shoulder, arm, and back vigorously before throwing a single disc.

For a competitive round, here's what I do

I usually try to work up a bit of a sweat jogging, just to warm up the muscles before stretching them. Then I usually start my throwing routine with some approach shots in the 100 range, throw about 6-8 discs. I back it up and repeat at 150, and 200. Then I start throwing some fairway drives in the 300+ range, about 10-15 throws. I generally don't throw any max dist shots in warm up because they're just too rough on arm and I already have 2 screws in my throwing shoulder. I usually finish of my throwing warm up with putts... basically play a half round of the perfect putt 360 game that can be found here:
http://www.flyingdiscmagazine.com/perputt.pdf

If you focus and just plow through it, you can be done with this routine in 15-20 min.

I warm up for a round of golf... by playing a round of golf.

My gf is almost always with me for casual rounds, so we'll warm up with some quick stretches and playing catches with a putter for a little while. For tournaments, I show up pretty early to warm up. I'll putt for 15 minutes, then play a full round on the course. I'll usually have time for some more putting before the players meeting, so I do that to keep my arm warmed up. If it's my first time at a new course, I'll throw 2-3 shots from each tee, just to see what works for me before it counts in the tourney.

one stretch of my left arm - and maybe a practice toss with a driver into a fence

then maybe a windmill with the left

I pop/stretch my back. Stretch my arms a little. I've never been keen on warm ups.

for warming up i throw several discs in a field and than jog to pick them up. . . i always play better when i run a little bit. . . i even have a tendency to run during the round. . . especially if my card is playing slow

I find an open area and throw all ten of my drivers starting with the most understable and finishing with the most stable. After ten throws I'm ready.

stretch out the throwing arm and shoulder, ill normally windmill my bag a couple of times for 'resistance'. then just throw some putters before the round starts

I warm up for a round of golf... by playing a round of golf.

I like your style.

I pop/stretch my back. Stretch my arms a little. I've never been keen on warm ups.

Changing mine a bit. I'll also stretch my legs if it is fairly early in the morning. I'm a college student, so if there is dew on the grass, it is early.

Skip the stretches. Just a waste of time.

At least until the day comes when you do some damage. Surgery, a long recovery, being happy the day I could throw 35' again---and now I always stretch.

Playing catch is a great warmup if you've got someone willing, as you can vary the distance, angle, etc., and you don't have to walk much.

Putt for a while. Surely, your putting needs practice. Doesn't everyone's?

you should do jumping jacks while singing/chanting this little ditty as loud as you can...trust me...its not embarrising....people will throw parades for you....

Here we go
All the way
Sing my name on the dotted line
cause all i do is a double time
up the hill
down the hill
on the hill
around the hill
C130 rollin down the strip
Airbourne Caddy gone make a little trip
stand up buckle up
shuffle to the door
jump right out and count to 4
if my shuit do open wid
i got another by my side
and if that one should fail me to
look out below i coming through
here we go
all the way
if i die in a old drop zone
box me up and send me home
pin my wing upon my chest
tell me momma i done my best
here we go
all the way
pt pt

if i can find someone thats not embarresed to play a little catch ill do that slowly increasing the disctance , if you got two friends play some triangle catch . growing up playing baseball thats what we always did before the game but for some reason people here think thats gay and dont wanna play catch and think your a fag for asking.

so most of the time i play some warmup holes, if its a nine hole ill play one round but wont push it then start keeping score when i get back to one. if its an 18 like macgregor park where the regular tees arent baby tees ill play the first round from those then go to the pro tees on the next round .
if its a course like jack brooks that start off with a couple shorter holes i dont warmup at all , so it really depends on the course but i always warm-up before i start throwing close to my max d

Skip the stretches. Just a waste of time.

At least until the day comes when you do some damage. Surgery, a long recovery, being happy the day I could throw 35' again---and now I always stretch.
That logic is flawed on so many levels. You don't stretch because of an injury, you stretch to prevent one, but yes, it's even more important for those that have had injuries in the past to stretch. That's like saying don't go to the dentist until your teeth start falling out. It's a bit late at that point. You go to the dentist to prevent your teeth from falling out.