• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water Sucks

SomeChump

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
The original courses I learned on had minimal water in play. I thought I was missing out. Then I moved. Now I routinely throw discs in the water. What was I thinking? Water sucks. How many champ firebirds can I throw into one creek in a month? I've lost 5 discs on this course, 1 in the woods and 4 in the water. I'm a pretty good disc finder, I watch errant throws carefully. But the damn water MOVES the discs! They're not where I threw them when I go swimming!

Rant over.

throw better..

now that that's out of the way... on to contstructive convo

why not try a floater disc? I use super lite bosses for this.. they float.. you see them.. you go get them.. it's a good thing

I assume your talking mostly about ponds as water hazards? My home course has one side running along a bayou, which equals no chance of finding lost discs!

throw better..

No, this is really it. Every time I start to get pissed for throwing a disc into the water, I have to remember that it was my throw that put it there.

@ OP - I feel your pain though. You should check out the golden retriever thread and maybe save yourself a few bucks in the process.

Yup, floating discs until you routinely don't throw into the water.

I enjoy water hazards, it makes disc golf exciting.

throw better..

a lot of people say "get some crap discs for water holes" but i throw my pearly orcs over water all the time. it's the disc i'm most confident in, so i'm not thinking "damn, i better keep this one out of the friggin water" and instead i'm thinking "i know EXACTLY what this disc will do, and it will clear the water"

gatorrraadddeee

Waterboy.jpg

Good thing about Charlotte courses: No water.

Now, I can say that I have lost several discs in the drink down at Winny in Roc Hill, SC. Now I just throw DX plastic over risky shots. Learn from this.

"Mom-m-momma says dat da duck down at W-Winthrop be da-da-da-da-DEVIL..."

Floating discs may be ok if you're dealing with a pond, but they are worthless if you're dealing with moving water. I think this is what the op is talking about, a creek with moving water. The key is, like someone else said, don't throw into the creek.

Ive punked out on a few water holes. there r plenty of harsh water holes out there I prefer my water to be shallow and to punish my score on that hole and not ruin the rest of my day as my best disc is gone my mojo crushed and my wallet lighter.

For those of you that are suggesting golden retriever or floating discs ...
How many champ firebirds can I throw into one creek in a month?

Moving water is an entirely different hazard than a puddle, pond or lake. The bottom is rocky, preventing any rake or retriever from being useful, and depending on the water speed, you can just kiss your floating discs goodbye as you watch them float away faster than you can run.

My practice field has a creek flowing along one entire side. I regularly chuck discs into or over the creek. In the event of a water landing, the best hope is that the disc will sink fast and wedge itself in with a rock somewhere shallow enough that I won't have to go swimming.

If the water is flowing quickly, you might as well just write that disc off. It is never smart to go chasing discs in swift water.

Clint spoke wisely on this topic:

"A man's got to know his limitations."

chaceing the pink dragon.
get a pink dragon they float and are bright color.
im in the water a couple time a week, i sometimes clear the pond somtimes not, there cheap dx plastic...

Good thing about Charlotte courses: No water.

Now, I can say that I have lost several discs in the drink down at Winny in Roc Hill, SC. Now I just throw DX plastic over risky shots. Learn from this.

"Mom-m-momma says dat da duck down at W-Winthrop be da-da-da-da-DEVIL..."

Tell that to all the people who have lost discs at #4 Reedy, #9 Renny, #9 Bailey, #'s 13-17 at Elon Short, #2 & #5 Elon Angry Beaver (and another 8 holes in the creek after a rain), 7-8 Holes at Dickerson Park, #'s 3-5 at Hornets Nest. I have lost or seen discs lost everyone of these water hazards.

Eastway will have 2 creek holes that will be disc losers after a rain. Brackett's Bluff had 2 water holes and Nevin will have the Creek in play on 5 holes now that I replaced my chainsaw. These creeks gets really nasty after a rain and you will lose your disc in there.

The only thing Charlotte lacks is a true Lake that you throw over... unless you count the Short Long Elon #15.