• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight for headwind.

mance

Bogey Member
I was just wondering if anyone with experience could tell me if there is a noticeable difference for an OS driver in 171g and 175g? mainly for 10 - 15mph winds.

I think it just matters how resistant to turn the disc is.... I got a 165g esp surge that is flat as a pancake that is super overstable and can handle all headwinds. lol

I threw my 169 CFR PD in 40+mph winds and had no issues. I've also thrown 150 Flicks in similar conditions. Stability matters more than weight.

All other things being equal though (stability, plh, dominess, etc.) a heavier disc will fight wind better, but I don't believe it is the biggest factor.

Weight is a big deal in any wind IMO simply because the wind knocks the disc around and lighter weight discs are more easily moved by the force of the wind.

gota 165 &168 spd ill throw in headwinds all day. with enough stability and the right release angle it doesnt really matter

Just don't throw discs that like to glide lol. They aren't the best for headwind or any side wind

Just don't throw discs that like to glide lol. They aren't the best for headwind or any side wind

Stable and understable discs (discs with glide) can be questionable in headwinds. But they are not always bad in side wide, it just depends on the direction.

This article Discraft made is the probably the best for figuring out how to throw in the wind. http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

I was just wondering if anyone with experience could tell me if there is a noticeable difference for an OS driver in 171g and 175g? mainly for 10 - 15mph winds.
It also depends on whether you're talking about distance or stability. It will make a bigger (but still likely very small) difference in distance than it will in stability. I have some 120ish gram Spirits that are overstable as heck, even in headwinds, but they don't go very far.

like others have said, all things equal (same disc, same plastic, same wear level) heavier will generally fight the headwind better.

Like garublador said, it's going to make more difference in distance than flight path as the heavier disc won't be slowed by the headwind as quickly. That said, the difference between 175 and 171 is going to be negligible, you'd notice if you were throwing a max weight and a 150 class disc back to back but 4g of difference will change the flight less than your own inconsistency.

Between 171-175, given an overstable disc, I don't think you'd see much difference. It doesn't really become a factor, in my experience, until the mid-160s or so.

I use a 175 Star Starfire into winds of 20-25 mph (generally the highest I get where I live) it will hold dead straight, but I also have a 168 that will do the same thing. So I do think it has to do more with the stability instead of weight. :thmbup:

I throw under stable still if the wind is up to 20mph depending on the line I need to hit, it's all about where you aim and how high you throw, I really don't throw much light stuff though