• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight lifting & disc golf?

I was/am pretty big into lifting, 5-6 days a week, I rep for a supplement company. Not so much as of lately because its summer and I have disc to play. But I am hitting the gym a lot, my game goes south due to the lack of stretching. Flexibility and core strengthening can improve performance in most sports. I've been doing more calisthenics, push up, pull ups, one leg squats, etc for strength.

i was definitely better when i was stronger. I dont think that getting bigger stronger hinders your game in the long run. it may change your form a bit and that takes getting use to.

the only thing it really hurts is if you lift the day that you play. which is why when im playing a lot, lifting tends to fall off..

this screwed my game in the long run, because as i lost muscle my motions changed and i needed to alter my throw to fix that and couldnt

Any mostly body-weight routines? I do have a couple kettlebells around if we really need them.

Any mostly body-weight routines? I do have a couple kettlebells around if we really need them.

Yes, Kettlebell swings are awesome for building core strength!

Planks (regular and star), Dips, Burpees, Inverted Rows, Pull Ups and Push Ups (Pike Push Ups/Star Push Ups), & Split Squats should cover most of your bases. Some will even give a nice natural stretch and increase flexibility.

For stretching and flexibility afterwards or before, do YOGA.

I realized a while ago I need to stretch more and I thinks its easy to see how yoga would be a big benefit but the only experience I have with yoga is the P90X version which felt great but was so long and repetitive I could not get through the whole thing. I have no idea how this compares to "real/traditional" yoga. Any advice on where to start? I'm in good shape and pretty flexible so I'm not worried about not being able to do it, more looking for something that will hold my attention. Or do I just need to conquer my ADD before I attempt it? haha

There are all kinds of free yoga routines online. I try to mix them up some from day to day, using an app on my phone.

I can't say enough positive things about pull-ups. they work almost the entire back and they also work your grip. these are two areas that are very important to us in DG. If you are on a budget you can get really fit with a $20 door frame pull up bar. a work out with pull ups, push ups, and prisoner squats are a great beginners workout. you can do it in the privacy of your home and not have to suffer any "gymtimidation". and if you want to increase the intensity just grab something heavy and add it to the movement.

Add in some yoga, Tai Chi or Qigong for mobility, flexibility, proprioception and breathing exercises.

To add to that, switching between an underhand grip and overhead grip will work different muscles. Under for more of a bicep workout, over for getting the forearms.

Another tip, when you're at the point where you can't do anymore regular pull-ups, to work the muscles even more do some negatives only. Prop yourself up on something so you are at the top of a pull up motion, then take your feet off it and lower yourself as slowly as possible.

Looks like I'm going to have to start doing pull-ups again!

Also http://www.amazon.com/HandMaster-Pl...id=1409864164&sr=8-2&keywords=handmaster+plus
This thing is pretty helpful for grip strength. I have the red and the orange one.

I also have the red and black ones of these http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Ex...=1409864230&sr=8-1&keywords=grip+strengthener
Which is cool but I think these get too easy and pointless.

The Handmaster is def worth getting, especially if you're like me and work with your hands a lot. The orange one is pretty tough and I even strained myself the first time I used it, even after using the red one to death. So it takes some consideration, but it is a good way to develop hand strength.

One thing that has added arm speed, strength and distance is the pulley machines at Planet Fitness.

This is the only image I could find. On the side of these are pulley systems that can be adjusted to waist level. They have clips on them so you can put different handles depending on what you want to do.

8.jpg

I took an old star disc and cut a hole in the plate and run the clip through it and do pulls with the disc with 10 lbs. I do equal sets with both arms.

This exercise really works on the muscles in your grip and your forearm.

Since I have been doing this I have increased my distance. I'll try and get some video of what I'm talking about and post it.

Do an underhand pullup and once you get to the top, switch and catch with an overhand pullup. It's hard. I used to do them when I played football, I haven't even thought about a pullup since...

Looks like I'm going to have to start doing pull-ups again!

Also http://www.amazon.com/HandMaster-Pl...id=1409864164&sr=8-2&keywords=handmaster+plus
This thing is pretty helpful for grip strength. I have the red and the orange one.

I also have the red and black ones of these http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Ex...=1409864230&sr=8-1&keywords=grip+strengthener
Which is cool but I think these get too easy and pointless.

The Handmaster is def worth getting, especially if you're like me and work with your hands a lot. The orange one is pretty tough and I even strained myself the first time I used it, even after using the red one to death. So it takes some consideration, but it is a good way to develop hand strength.
Does those work the muscles that open your hand? I've been trying to think of something forever that would work those.

In my mostly worthless opinion, grip strength and flexibility seem like the big areas to work on, with technique trumping all.

Does those work the muscles that open your hand? I've been trying to think of something forever that would work those.

In my mostly worthless opinion, grip strength and flexibility seem like the big areas to work on, with technique trumping all.
Yessir. I learned that they call them "flexors" and "extendors" (I think I'm spelling that right? Gotta read the manual again...) in our hands and most grip strengtheners only work the flexors. This thing is pretty great, it also works your forearms and wrist.

Some people use the rubber bands that come with broccoli to exercise their fingers. As you will see online there are all kinds of gizmos these days. I actually came across a Handmaster clone in a guitar store but online reviews of that one said it was poor quality, so I decided to get the real thing.

Technique is something I'm desperately trying to improve! :eek:

Latest posts