• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight VS. Design?

yobiker

Does anybody know how a disc company typically increases or decreases the weight of a disc in design? Is the weight increased in the rim or is it evenly distributed over the entire disc?

I'm not an engineer so this may not be 100% accurate, but as I understand they are able to "pack" the plastic in at varying degrees. Using more or less pressure, I would assume, makes the plastic more or less dense, which leads to different weights. Obviously, this can only be done to a certain extent.

The way I understand there are weighting agents that they add to the plastic to make them more dense. That would make it evenly distributed over the entire disc.

The most common weighting agents in disc golf are mineral/metal powders...basically chemically pulverized dust of something really heavy. This is often what makes clear discs really cloudy...

They add gravity inhibitors into the disc design, otherwise we would all lose our discs by sending them into orbit. One of the first discs was thrown around Roswell, NM...and it hit "a weather balloon"...if not for this MISTAKE, Bill Pulman would never have sent Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum into space to destroy the mothership...

Just speaking facts...just the facts.

Discs are cloudy because they were made during a plasic change. When molding star plastic they don't clean out the remnant, they just add champion. So you end up with a champion plastic disc with a slight mix of star plastic. Just ask dave d. I have hundreds of discs, mostly max weight, and tons of perfectly clear max weight champion plastic. I also have several cloudy 150 class champ leos and valks.

They add gravity inhibitors into the disc design, otherwise we would all lose our discs by sending them into orbit. One of the first discs was thrown around Roswell, NM...and it hit "a weather balloon"...if not for this MISTAKE, Bill Pulman would never have sent Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum into space to destroy the mothership...

yep, i read the same thing on the internet

The most common weighting agents in disc golf are mineral/metal powders...basically chemically pulverized dust of something really heavy. This is often what makes clear discs really cloudy...
yes
Discs are cloudy because they were made during a plasic change. When molding star plastic they don't clean out the remnant, they just add champion. So you end up with a champion plastic disc with a slight mix of star plastic. Just ask dave d. I have hundreds of discs, mostly max weight, and tons of perfectly clear max weight champion plastic. I also have several cloudy 150 class champ leos and valks.
cloudy is only caused by the transitions in a couple discs each run, so rarely

At a tournament one day, I saw several Innova discs that looked like they were made in the really clear Opto plastic by Lat64. I was about to buy a couple of Leos when I looked at the weight and noticed they were all 150g. After looking at the heavier discs it makes sense that the weighing agent would go evenly through the disc and make it more cloudy.

Weighting agents are one of many factors that can make a disc cloudy, but it is one of the more common(I'm pretty confident in my sources on this one). It all depends on the plastic/colorant blend and the volume of the particular mold as to which weights get the straight plastic and which discs get weighting agents to weigh more or less.

Except that they've been making cloudy discs longer than they've been making Star discs. A lot of the "Pro Line" discs (candy plastic between CE and Champ) were cloudy, IIRC. I don't doubt it does happen, but as others have said it's just a few discs, not an entire run.

I believe they even made a move about that somewhere...

Will Smith is a man!!!