• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside 2014 PROTOS, Review and Flight

So one thing I don't get - they said the second disc was a roller, and yet the disc would turn gently while staying flat, and fade out at the end. What gives?

Yeah, but the way he described it, it would take a lot more than a slight hyzer, and I saw no evidence of a big hyzer release on any of the shots.

I had the same thought. It seemed more like a faster River to me than super understable. The "2" fade didn't show up very much.

I have a love/hate relationship with Westside, but I will declare right now that if the production Sorcerer is anything like the protos in that video, my Terns are in serious jeopardy.

You need to add some scale to tests. how far tester throws some common disc? e.g. roc, teebird, destroyer. What common models you can compare each disc. What is the length of the field? Show the thrower. Try something like: I throw fresh teebird 420 feet with slight hyzer release. This New überDriverPutter here flies 430 feet and is slightly less stable with same kind of throw. Put flag or basket to the field and try to hit it with each throw shaping different lines. Tell how far the target is. Forehand, backhand, thumbers, tomahawks. Good start but you need to get more details.

I just think its cool he took the time to show us the discs and make the video.

The few westside discs that I have, make me crazy, because the flight numbers are so far off.
They are nowhere near what I bought them for, but they do fly nice.

So I always have this big argument with the stag every time I bring it to the course.
It wants to stay in the bag, but I tell it, I already have other discs in that spot, so we end up arguing and making a sceen.

I just think its cool he took the time to show us the discs and make the video.

The few westside discs that I have, make me crazy, because the flight numbers are so far off.
They are nowhere near what I bought them for, but they do fly nice.

So I always have this big argument with the stag every time I bring it to the course.
It wants to stay in the bag, but I tell it, I already have other discs in that spot, so we end up arguing and making a sceen.

I finally gave up and let my Stags do there thing. More times than not the Stag is right.

mattc,

i dont know how you take the stag out of the bag. What disc do you have to replace it. I have thrown the stag over 380 feet no more than 15 feet high. I agree with flight ratings. The stag is more like a 10 6 -1 1. At least when thrown hard and overpowering the disc.

As for staying on topic with the forum, the hatchet will be in my bag for sure if it is 9 6 -2 2, and that will replace my valkerie, the sorcerer will most likely replace my wraith in my bag, and the world might replace the unreliable king. The king for me is super understable when thrown hard. i have to put a lot of loft on it to get the disc to do a nice s curve. maybe i am doing something wrong but cant be for sure. when i do hit the line correctly on the king i can throw the king over 380+ feet.

mattc,

i dont know how you take the stag out of the bag. What disc do you have to replace it. I have thrown the stag over 380 feet no more than 15 feet high. I agree with flight ratings. The stag is more like a 10 6 -1 1. At least when thrown hard and overpowering the disc.

As for staying on topic with the forum, the hatchet will be in my bag for sure if it is 9 6 -2 2, and that will replace my valkerie, the sorcerer will most likely replace my wraith in my bag, and the world might replace the unreliable king. The king for me is super understable when thrown hard. i have to put a lot of loft on it to get the disc to do a nice s curve. maybe i am doing something wrong but cant be for sure. when i do hit the line correctly on the king i can throw the king over 380+ feet.
Falls in between my saint and teebird

Has anyone thrown the sword???? I have the boatmand and it is just one speed lower and i dont think the boatman deserves a speed 11 since it is so overstable. is the sword like it just a little faster or is there any turn if you put it on an anhyzer.

not just like it, not really overstable at all once seasoned, more stable to understable...swords can be finessed for surprisingly long straight shots, powered up for long turnovers from hyzer releases that usually fight back a bit at the end, and be made to hold really long annys that may fade out just a bit at the end if thrown really high. The only thing they don't do well is fight strong headwinds and they tend to flip up from big hyzers for me more than I want on power shots.

Has anyone thrown the sword???? I have the boatmand and it is just one speed lower and i dont think the boatman deserves a speed 11 since it is so overstable. is the sword like it just a little faster or is there any turn if you put it on an anhyzer.

i throw both and really like the pairing. my boatman is 173g VIP and really overstable, and since i dont have the arm for a giant i use it as my headwind and big hyzer disc, which it is awesome at. my 166g VIP sword has been my go to for the past while and is nothing like the boatman. faster and not nearly as overstable. my 166 with flip up with a bit of hyzer or give me some nice turn thrown flat, and decent fade at the end. i just got a 173 VIP which has little, if any turn and holds long hyzers pretty well. unfortunately i didnt get much work with it before the snow came. for me the boatman/sword makes a great pairing. heres to hoping the sorcerer is a longer sword!

Agreed

not just like it, not really overstable at all once seasoned, more stable to understable...swords can be finessed for surprisingly long straight shots, powered up for long turnovers from hyzer releases that usually fight back a bit at the end, and be made to hold really long annys that may fade out just a bit at the end if thrown really high. The only thing they don't do well is fight strong headwinds and they tend to flip up from big hyzers for me more than I want on power shots.

I couldn't say it any better :clap: I love my swords. I'll be excited to test the Sorcerer...maybe it'll take the Swords slot and the Harp for the Sinus.

I love westside and i am looking forward to getting the giant, sword in my bag. right now i have in my bag that is westside: 2 swans soft, underworld vip plastic, stag one in tourny the other vip, northman tourny, boatman vip, 2 kings one vip and one tourney. love them and cant wait to add more.

My intense love of the Swan2 means I basically HAVE to try the Harp, but that thing looks like it may have too much speed and carry for what I typically want. If the flight numbers are right (which Westside treats their flight rating numbers liberally), then it is altogether to close to a midrange for me. I'd rather have it be that OS and slow as snot, like the Sinuses I currently use. I'll give the Harp a whirl. Has to be done. I haven't given Westside enough of my money yet just in Swans.

So is there any kind of an explanation as to why Westside is so far off with their ratings?

Yeah hopefully this Sorcerer will be a longer sword in flight and feel similar. I love the grip, feel and flight of the sword, but it does seem just a bit shorter than the esp nukes I had. Would like a nice predictable Sword-like disc that can boom even more and maybe has a rim width no wider than the Giant.

No idea on the ratings thing but its definitely been widely noted. Really it seems most of the manufacturer's ratings are a bit off and usually don't account for things like plastic type and power that well. Westside may be the worst offender though!

The hatchet really interests me. I love my underworld, but I want something less understable that will flip up from a hyzer to a lazer beam straight shot. My underworld keeps turning after the flip. Sorcerer kind interests me as well

oh man

does almost every westside disc flip?

oh man

does almost every westside disc flip?

Definitely not. The boatman is definitely overstable. I have some swords that are pretty overstable as well. Takes a while to beat them in where I want them. VIP warships are not flippy either. They all need to be thrown smoothly though for best effect.

I have a boatman and you're right, definitely not flippy

My sword can flip (I also have one that is much more overstable)
my kings flip
Tursas flips
even my warship is a touch flippy but not bad
I'm not sure how to describe the northman

Latest posts