• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Longbowman

I would imply the upper wing needs some work. if they get that right it would set the bar for arguable one of the finest fairways to be tooled to date.

Necro bump!

Does this disc fly similar to say, a Thunderbird? I like the blunt edge feel, but I don't want it to turn, just something I can crank on that'll fly straight, and finish left

Necro bump!

Does this disc fly similar to say, a Thunderbird? I like the blunt edge feel, but I don't want it to turn, just something I can crank on that'll fly straight, and finish left

I don't have a ton of experience with the Thunderbird. I've thrown the early stiff Star Thundy that flew like a seasoned Firebird, a couple champ Thundies that would actually hold a stable line before a decent fade, and a couple DX Thunderbirds that would turn into a headwind. The tournament longbowman was similar to the DX when new. A moderate headwind and it'll turn. The VIP Longbowman is my fav. It holds onto its HSS and loses LSS first. The VIP fits between a beat Firebird (hard fade) and a fresh Champ eagle, so a ton of overlap with the Thunderbird IMO. I think later star Thunderbirds are less stable:\ At least, most of the time with Innova molds, Star is less stable than Champ YMMV.

Anyway, I carry one for an easy to replace water disc when I don't want to risk throwing my prized 11x firebird.

maybe we need 1 thread loving on certain discs and 1 thread where we can argue (in case new people are in between)

You do realize you're quoting a comment from 2-1/2 years ago. I'm sure they're over it by now LOL Terry hasn't logged in in over a month. He may have passed the bar and can argue for a living by now.

one thread is enough for both love and hate, it'll be okay, I promise:rolleyes:

You do realize you're quoting a comment from 2-1/2 years ago. I'm sure they're over it by now LOL Terry hasn't logged in in over a month. He may have passed the bar and can argue for a living by now.

one thread is enough for both love and hate, it'll be okay, I promise:rolleyes:

Of course...WHAT do you think i am some newb who didn't check the date before posting??:\:eek:

Of course...WHAT do you think i am some newb who didn't check the date before posting??:\:eek:

Well you are on pace for 1000 posts in your first year... just be careful, DG is additive, don't forget to spend the majority of that wasted time actually throwing frisbees;)

back on topic,

I grabbed the wrong VIP longbowman yesterday before leaving for Bud Hill. As mentioned before an easy hyzer disc. I've got two and the more seasoned one is 10-15% longer but relatively similar HSS. I know this as the stupid disc sailed 30'+ long:doh:

The seasoned one could probably serve water disc duties for my seasoned CE eagle now, it could be an eagle3:p They're both flat and flip up a few degrees before holding a hyzer line into decent headwinds.

It should be noted that I only use the VIPs as an open hyzer disc and they don't get a lot a play. I could see this beating into a stable teebird slot given how VIP/Lucid/Opto plastic quickly loses stability in my experience... anyway that could be awesome... not having it become another slot that's still useful or create a cycle.

I'll stop now with the +/- in one thread

we are having a family medical crises so i'm watching niece and nephew a lot ...i try to get out with them to the courses but well it don't work out so well...hopefully soon all will be well and i can chase some chains

Would this be a good option for a bit of a slower, 0 turn FH disc? I'm thinking that it might be time to go with something a little slower than a FB for a FH utility, but looking for alternatives to a Banshee or Resistor.

Basically, seeking something with a rim width around 1.8, or if 1.9 a very chunky wing to slow it down. Around 4 glide would be fine, solidly 0 turn. I'll be bagging this alongside wraiths for distance FH and something like a mortar or aviarX3 for ups, plus maaayybe like a machete for skippier shots.

Sometimes I use the Longbowman as a longer-sort-of midrange. I find it to be in the slower side of speed 9. Good glide though. Great disc.

In my experience, yes. Both of the VIP Longbowmans I have are goodly HSS. Flat too, so comfy for FH.

Would this be a good option for a bit of a slower, 0 turn FH disc? I'm thinking that it might be time to go with something a little slower than a FB for a FH utility, but looking for alternatives to a Banshee or Resistor.

Basically, seeking something with a rim width around 1.8, or if 1.9 a very chunky wing to slow it down. Around 4 glide would be fine, solidly 0 turn. I'll be bagging this alongside wraiths for distance FH and something like a mortar or aviarX3 for ups, plus maaayybe like a machete for skippier shots.

I flick the Longbowman 10-15% further than an average firebird so I wouldn't call it utility as it flies fairly stable straight for the entire flight on a 250-275' low line with little wind.

Longbowman

Threw one of these on the course today. First one I'd ever seen. VIP, 174g. What a great fairway driver. Very comparable to a champion Teebird. Slightly shallower rim than a Teebird. Fits well in the hand. Feels almost like a Convict, but the Longbowman seems a little flatter and more overstable.

From the first throw I liked the Longbowman. Very reliable and steerable. It was coming up just a hair short of my Thunderbird, but on similar lines. Nice driver for accurate 375' shots. Almost a boring disc. Just straight shots with predictable late fade. Can be worked on anny lines, but I feel the Longbowman does better on flat shots.

Straight driver with maybe the tiniest hint of high speed turn on hard throws. Glide is very average. You need a pretty decent arm to make the Longbowman stay flat. Fairly mellow fade too, not real abrupt or dumpy.

Longbowman: 7, 4, -0.5, 2. About as neutral as a disc can get. Just a great fairway driver. Easy to throw and it'll handle whatever arm you have. I probably wouldn't use it in gusting headwinds.

Last edited:

Latest posts