• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside tursas

on a 60% throw does a lighter understable disc turnover more/easier than a heavier disc?

TripleB

It really depends on the mold. Some disc molds don't really lose much stability when you lower the weight, especially not in the small weight differences you mentioned. It also depends on what 60% power is for you. I have a max weight Tursas, and at 60% power, I would say it is probably goes very straight with just a little turn. But to be fair, I don't really throw it very often at all, much less at 60%. It is a great understable disc though, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Just messing with ya, 3B. I shared your chase for magical discs for a while and still do somewhat. I daresay you probably have a shortish turnover disc laying around somewhere. Do you still have a Comet? That's my turnover mid of choice.

I've been playing about a year longer than you. FH has come easier for me due to a baseball background. Been working on form and have just now begun to consistently push BH drives past 320'.

If you work on your FH, you'll be better at it a month from now than you are today. Probably 50% of my shots are FH, I'd be lost without it. Most of my FH upshots are stand still so I'd practice those to begin with.

No worries! To be honest I tried the Comet in three different plastics because at one time I really loved that disc...it turned over slightly but not as much as I was needing on a couple holes at one of my local courses. So it end up falling in between my Truth and my Stratus.

My favorite turnover disc is my 170g DX Mirage...love that thing...seems to give me the perfect amount of turnover no matter if I'm at a 30% throw or a 90% throw. If I could just find that same disc in a longer flying version.

I think my forehand will come pretty easily when I start working on it but my trouble is that I throw a RHBH but a LHFH (nope, can't even make a RHFH or a LHBH resemble a disc golf shot) so the flights tend to be exactly the same no matter which way I throw the disc.

TripleB

To echo in on the 60% thing...everyone's 60 is different. Not to mention the only time most people throw 60% or less is due to it being a short approach - which you more often than not won't use a midrange on. Yes typically a lightweight disc will react to powering down better than a heavier one will, but it depends if you're comparing the same molds/plastics/etc.

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for your input!

Definitely going for the Tursas in the VIP plastic...just trying to decide 166g or 169g or 171g.

I know it's only 3-5 grams difference but strange question here: on a 60% throw does a lighter understable disc turnover more/easier than a heavier disc?

There are a couple places on my new home course where I tend to end up, needing an understable disc to turn for me at 50-60% power.

Thanks again for the comparison between the Tursas and Warrant!

TripleB

Yes unless the lighter disc has a freakishly higher PLH than the heavier disc of the same mold. Lighter is easier to get up to speed = easier to turn over.

My favorite turnover disc is my 170g DX Mirage...love that thing...seems to give me the perfect amount of turnover no matter if I'm at a 30% throw or a 90% throw. If I could just find that same disc in a longer flying version.

Have you tried a Manta?

Have you tried a Manta?

Yes, I have one in 175g and 171g. I absolutely love the flight of it but it has such an amazing glide on it that I had a hard time controlling the distance with it.

I ended up ordering a 169g Tursas to round out my new, 9 discs only, bag...see signature.

TripleB

Yes, I have one in 175g and 171g. I absolutely love the flight of it but it has such an amazing glide on it that I had a hard time controlling the distance with it.

I ended up ordering a 169g Tursas to round out my new, 9 discs only, bag...see signature.

TripleB

Keep us updated with how you like it. Make sure to include your distances as well. There may be a player that comes along later who is in a similar position to you that you experience could be helpful.

TripleB

Tagging you here 3B - how did that tursas turn (pun intended) out?

Yeah that is like a broken in Comet with a touch more late stability if you have one that might fill that anhyzer role for you. I should put mine back in the bag

Tagging you here 3B - how did that tursas turn (pun intended) out?

It didn't :\ I haven't roughed it up throwing it into trees or anything yet, but for me it's a straight flyer. I'm not sure if I got an odd ball more stable than it should be disc, or my arm speed just isn't fast enough for me, or I should have ordered lighter, or what...but it turns to the right so I think it's going to do exactly what I want but then it fades back to the left, ending up straight to where I was aiming. Craziest disc I've ever tried. Love the plastic, love the feel, but the flight just isn't what I was expecting. I've gone back to my Fuse until I get my Theory in to try for that understable mid spot.

TripleB

It didn't :\ I haven't roughed it up throwing it into trees or anything yet, but for me it's a straight flyer. I'm not sure if I got an odd ball more stable than it should be disc, or my arm speed just isn't fast enough for me, or I should have ordered lighter, or what...but it turns to the right so I think it's going to do exactly what I want but then it fades back to the left, ending up straight to where I was aiming. Craziest disc I've ever tried. Love the plastic, love the feel, but the flight just isn't what I was expecting. I've gone back to my Fuse until I get my Theory in to try for that understable mid spot.

TripleB

Lightly sand down the bottom bead.. It will help especially if there is still factory flashing

TripleB

That's interesting, because a healthy turn ending with a healthy fade is exactly what I was looking for. I want to be able to shape lines in the woods while knowing that the disc won't just continue on indefinitely into the bush, but rather fade out controllably.

Lightly sand down the bottom bead.. It will help especially if there is still factory flashing

Funny you mention this, the Tursas I picked up came free with a heaping portion of flashing. I field tested it with flashing on, but will be removing it ASAP.

That's interesting, because a healthy turn ending with a healthy fade is exactly what I was looking for. I want to be able to shape lines in the woods while knowing that the disc won't just continue on indefinitely into the bush, but rather fade out controllably.

Being a RHBH only player I rely on my disc to turn right for me and hold that line until the end. The Tursas just didn't to that....it would always come back to center for me. I just ordered a Theory hoping it will head right and stay heading right....if not I'll go back to my Fuse or else just deal with the shorter length of my perfect flying Mirage.

Good luck!!!

TripleB

Being a RHBH only player I rely on my disc to turn right for me and hold that line until the end. The Tursas just didn't to that....it would always come back to center for me. I just ordered a Theory hoping it will head right and stay heading right....if not I'll go back to my Fuse or else just deal with the shorter length of my perfect flying Mirage.

Good luck!!!

TripleB

Fresh discs have that fade to them, especially the faster the mold. So if one of your mids ends up having pretty much the turn you like but a touch more fade, then sand the bottom like people said and let it hit stuff for a few weeks. The fade will decrease and it'll be perfect. It's pretty much impossible to have a disc have a subtle/slow turn and no fade when fresh, unless you are a very high arm speed player and are overpowering a true straight/stable disc.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find what you want off the shelf, but most often fresh discs have a touch more fade than people want unless they are looking to fill out their OS slots. Even my Comet had more fade than I wanted for a few months....not that it was a big fade but I was looking for something to track right and not even think about coming back no matter how shallow the angle. Discs in that slot need to be beat in a bit typically.

I only have 3, but in my experience the Tournament plastic turns much quicker than the VIP on the Tursas.

I love the VIP, still trying to sync with the tournament

I only have 3, but in my experience the Tournament plastic turns much quicker than the VIP on the Tursas.

I love the VIP, still trying to sync with the tournament

Tournament plastic (TP) is the equivalent of Gold Line, and yes, TP/GL wears in pretty quickly. I had to give up GL Rivers because they just became too flippy US too quickly. :(

But that can be a good thing, as well. My GL Fury is a reliable turnover disc when I absolutely cannot go left on an RHBH throw. :)

So to TripleB's issue... Yes, get a GL/TP disc and throw it a LOT, and beat it in to the understable goodness you desire. :thmbup:

Fresh discs have that fade to them, especially the faster the mold. So if one of your mids ends up having pretty much the turn you like but a touch more fade, then sand the bottom like people said and let it hit stuff for a few weeks. The fade will decrease and it'll be perfect. It's pretty much impossible to have a disc have a subtle/slow turn and no fade when fresh, unless you are a very high arm speed player and are overpowering a true straight/stable disc.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find what you want off the shelf, but most often fresh discs have a touch more fade than people want unless they are looking to fill out their OS slots. Even my Comet had more fade than I wanted for a few months....not that it was a big fade but I was looking for something to track right and not even think about coming back no matter how shallow the angle. Discs in that slot need to be beat in a bit typically.

Agree with this, and the farther up the speed ratings one goes (towards driver range), the harder it is to find a turnover disc fresh out of the box, as you said. Especially with Trilogy plastics (even Opto/Lucid/VIP), one can wear in a disc to more reliable understability relatively quickly, and one gets some good practice in while throwing it a lot at the range...

Great post by slowplastic. If you want a Trilogy flipper right away the best thing to get is a disc in RGL/BioFuzion plastic. I don't know if the Tursas is made in recycled plastic (a quick scan of the Dynamic store says no) but apparently they do make Origio Tursas. That would definitely become understable in no time, the question is will it become too flippy?

Boom, just checked Marshall St and yes, Recycled Tursas are a thing: https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/recycled-tursas-finnish

It's pretty much impossible to have a disc have a subtle/slow turn and no fade when fresh, unless you are a very high arm speed player and are overpowering a true straight/stable disc.

Completely agree...I have found only 2, both with -?/0 flight ratings - the Mirage (the disc I have the most confidence in when I need to get the disc right next to the target) and the Fuse (which isn't perfect, but better than it was).

TripleB

Latest posts