• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What about a "drive and drive" tournament?

Could a "drive and drive" tournament be fun?

• It is a great idea and, if done properly, would be tonnes of fun

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • It is a horrible idea and no matter what will be aweful

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
As I drive around town, there are several spots I have seen that would be AMAZING disc golf holes. Whether because of unique fairways, epic elevation changes, interesting hazards or amazing views I really want to try disc golf in these spots. The problem is, they will never be part of a course- usually because they are part of small parks or green spaces that do not have room for a full course.

This got me thinking: what if we did a "drive and drive" tournament where your card is also a car? You play 1-3 holes, get in the car, drive to the next 1-3 holes, drive to the next, etc.... I am picturing a circuit of 12-15 holes that you drive around twice. Every hole would be great, unique, and not part of a current course. I think I could plan it so that there was never more than a five minute drive between holes and there would only be 5 commutes in a round- so during a two round tournament, you would spend about 45 minutes in a car.

Does that sound like something fun, or lame?

Lame. No one would want to do it, as you wouldn't want to drive around with strangers. I would guess you would have to card with all friends, making it hard for a 1 man guy to come in and show up. also no one would be able to really practice these holes.

As I drive around town, there are several spots I have seen that would be AMAZING disc golf holes. Whether because of unique fairways, epic elevation changes, interesting hazards or amazing views I really want to try disc golf in these spots. The problem is, they will never be part of a course- usually because they are part of small parks or green spaces that do not have room for a full course.

This got me thinking: what if we did a "drive and drive" tournament where your card is also a car? You play 1-3 holes, get in the car, drive to the next 1-3 holes, drive to the next, etc.... I am picturing a circuit of 12-15 holes that you drive around twice. Every hole would be great, unique, and not part of a current course. I think I could plan it so that there was never more than a five minute drive between holes and there would only be 5 commutes in a round- so during a two round tournament, you would spend about 45 minutes in a car.

Does that sound like something fun, or lame?

It's a neat idea.. although it sounds really dependent on actually acquiring permission to use that many spaces for an event, there being parking at each site, making sure everyone knows where they're going each time, etc.

Honestly, it sounds like a headache to organize and manage.

I think it could be fun if it was done with a smaller group of guys who know each other.

Or you could rent a couple of party buses and have a larger group.

Neat idea, but probably has some logistical issues, most notably getting permission to use the land, and making sure civilians on that land stay out of the way.

I do like the idea of having people shuttled from site A to site B rather than having them drive. Some folks might not have seating for four in their car, and some folks who do might have issues with folks who drink or smoke.

I think it could be fun if it was done with a smaller group of guys who know each other.

This. A day of safari golf with your buddies could be a lot of fun.

But to actually turn it into an event would be a logistical nightmare.

To add to that, a lot of the novelty of this is going to a non-disc golf spot and laying out your own holes. That's great for you, but if you have an event, the players don't get to enjoy that side of it. To them they're just playing another 18 hole course, the only difference being that now they have to drive around town to hit all 18 holes.

I could see this working and being a ton of fun especially if the holes were truly epic.

The objection of several people so far is travelling with strangers. In Charlotte we used to have an annual Ironman day that would start at one park (for check-in), but show up at any time with your group (before a certain cut-off time) and then you play the other 4-5 courses in any order your card decided on (based on comfort, itinerary, crowding, etc). In this format, you would travel with friends (or could drive around in separately).

The drawback I see is leaving temporary baskets out for possibly long periods unattended.

No way this would work. Too many moving pieces. And I don't think you'd get that many participants. Maybe 30 people tops,all locals. No one from out of town is going to want to drive around all day getting lost trying to find holes that have never existed before.

That said, it might be a neat club event. Since everyone more or less knows each other and knows their way around town, you could do it as a club fundraiser tournamnet for just you guys. That would work.

We've actually done this before. We get 20 people, 20 bucks a head, we have a few volunteers that sit at a few locations with a basket and a designated tee pad. We figure that everyone who car pools together can pay the driver a few bucks for the gas. It's actually quite fun till you set a hole up on a parking garage roof and throw from another parking garage roof a couple hundred feet away and people for some reason, instead of throwing a mid (seriously an easy putter hole for a few of us), take out their high speeds and try to crush it. That was the only time things went drastically wrong.

I know of an event called the Mystery Hole event.

Ever seen a piece of land and thought " man that would be a great hole"

Well the idea of the event was simple. Meet at a common place and each player was challenged with having 1 hole in mind.

Everyone played someones hole, kept score, and then went to the next place.

I didn't play and heard it took a while, but that it was blast. One guy threw from his apartment balcony out into a field behind his house, just stuff like that.

This was actually done last year and again in two weeks here in Missouri... but with a twist.

Participants FLOATED in canoes/kayaks down the river to where 1-3 holes were setup on the banks and on sand bars. Needless to say there was lots of OB!!! The winners played smart for pars and the the bold splashed in the river on the birdie runs. I think there were over 60 players last time.

I didn't get to participate, but loved the idea and am toying around with going this year if other plans fall through.

Would you be getting permission to use the land or doing it guerrilla style? Getting permission to use multiple pieces of property on the same date could be difficult. If you don't get permission and have a lot of people; I see a bust in your future.

I can only see this working if it is capped at a fairly small # of players. Trying to get 72 disc golfers to multiple locations in a timely manner could be a nightmare.

Fun for a group of guys to do on their own, too much logistics for an actual Tournament I would think.

I certainly am in the same boat in terms of always walking/driving around thinking how I could hit that line and where the PIN would be. Annoys the crap out of my wife.

If we did it, it would be a small less formal tournament with emphasis on fun instead of winning- prizes would be spread around and minimal, so I wouldn't be too worried about cheating. I would probably let people pick their cards (with the option of signing up and saying "put me wherever it works"), especially since it would be all locals who somewhat know each other.

All the holes I have in mind are either on city parks or on property belonging to a club member. I have a great relationship with our parks department, and would have no issues easily getting permission to do this- it would likely be one 20 minute meeting looking at a map with the park director. By standers wouldn't be an issue on the holes I have planned, and we have access to chain and locks to secure the baskets from theft.

I like the idea of getting a bus and doing it in one massive group. I bet I could borrow the Rugby clubs' bus: they have it tricked out with a tv, re-arranged chairs, and a fridge. We could do putting competitions and mini holes while we drive. Or just pump the tunes.

Would the distance between spots be too far to cycle?

Could you see 20-50 disc golfers on bikes carrying everything they need? Sounds hilariously fun, especialy if there were dedicated bike trails. Although most of the guys I play with would need CPR on arrival if it was over a couple miles. :)

We've held a bus tour temp course tournament here for several years in row now, and it has become so popular that this year we had to rent two buses so we could get a full 100 participants in. So we go to a place with space and no course, build a temp course with portable baskets, play the course, remove the course, and move to some other place to do the same thing. It lasts all day, the bus starts at 5 am, and we play several temp courses during the day. And usually at least one of the courses is a mystery course that no one except the TDs know beforehand where it is. It is a legendary tournament around here :)

We've held a bus tour temp course tournament here for several years in row now, and it has become so popular that this year we had to rent two buses so we could get a full 100 participants in. So we go to a place with space and no course, build a temp course with portable baskets, play the course, remove the course, and move to some other place to do the same thing. It lasts all day, the bus starts at 5 am, and we play several temp courses during the day. And usually at least one of the courses is a mystery course that no one except the TDs know beforehand where it is. It is a legendary tournament around here :)

Excellent. Nice to hear that it has become so popular!

Would the distance between spots be too far to cycle?

Could you see 20-50 disc golfers on bikes carrying everything they need? Sounds hilariously fun, especialy if there were dedicated bike trails. Although most of the guys I play with would need CPR on arrival if it was over a couple miles. :)

When I lived in Amsterdam I was only about 2 miles from the course, so I would bike there with my big-@$$ Spike Hyzer Cooler Competition bag on a few times a week. Definitely turned some heads.

As for the OP, I agree with the general consensus that it is an awesome idea for a smaller group but would be a pain in the behind with too many players. Given the solutions you have presented to many of the logistical issues, I think it is an awesome idea and I look forward to hearing how it goes! :popcorn:

I vote yes because of stuff like urban disc golf where they did something like this. I think it would be good for a local small group but not a full size tournament.