• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the benefits of owning a championship level course?

" You are barking up the wrong tree. "

I'm not sure why you say that. I'm building a blue level course instead of gold because of the large number of amateur players in the area and the lack of a local course nearby. Based on the comments in this thread so far, I can't tell that I'm really missing much by foregoing the gold level layout.

I already own the property so it won't take much in the way of revenue to pay for the maintenance costs after we finish it. With the expected $5 green fees, clubhouse sales (discs, food, beer, etc), music events and camping fees we think it's going to work.

I'm going to have to come down this spring(or whenever your ready). I may be more excited about the pitch and putt!

I'm going to have to come down this spring(or whenever your ready). I may be more excited about the pitch and putt!

Please do! We plan to finish the pitch-n-putt by the 3rd weekend in March. The Texas State Disc Golf Team will be running a Birdie Bash on the course that weekend to help support their trip to Nationals in April. Here's a map of the course for reference.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag273/gblambert1/Hilliard Rd/GoldMiniCourseMapv2_zps73345d27.jpg

I've always been curious what liability insurance runs a private course owner.

This would vary by situation, and state.

In our case we live on the property and don't charge, so it's covered under our homeowners policies. Just like any other guest in any other yard. Tournaments, being sanctioned, are covered under the PDGA policy for free.

If an owner charges and it becomes a business, then a commercial liability policy would be needed. Insurance is governed by states, and varies greatly between them. I haven't priced it, but commercial policies usually have minimum premiums, and here in South Carolina, $500 per year would be a guess.

In some parts of the country, the owner of a private course simply charges for parking and playing the course is free. That seems to avoid higher premiums for commercial insurance.

That's a hedge, but it might not hold up.

On the other hand, the liability exposure is pretty small on most courses.

Are you and the fam not the right people to ask about this? Seems like you'd have the right connections to figure out exactly what the insurance would cover and cost.

Yes, but we've only researched as far as we need to. We don't charge to play or park (we do take donations), so we're covered under our homeowners policies. If we charged to park, the evasion Chuck mentions, I'd have to re-read the policy to see how that changes things. (There are actually two considerations on a homeowners policy---whether the liability is covered, and whether the company might cancel if you've got business use, any business use, on site).

My brother writes commercial liability insurance, but since we don't need it, we haven't actually quoted it. Generally premises liability is pretty cheap, except that it has a minimum premium.

Insurance varies so much by state that any price we quoted wouldn't apply outside of South Carolina.

I've read that some states have laws that provide landowners with a great deal of immunity for liability. Maine comes to mind. I don't know that for a fact, but have seen excerpts of the laws posted in forums.

I like the short course combined with a blue level course. I believe the value of short courses in general is underestimated. Potential newbies can find a lot more fun on short links than on a full course, and it is a great asset for established players as well for short game work, warm up, mini golf etc.

I think the IDGC should have a similarly scaled 9-hole course (ideally, wheelchair accessible) for family, youth, and senior play. Mentioned the idea to the folks there but nobody could see the benefits. Odd, that. No interest in being a gateway to the sport or offering play to a full age and ability spectrum. Bogey, I think.

Steady Ed, Red tee layout holes 1-5, 15-18 is a fun 9-hole loop at IDGC. They have been looking at some ideas for a shorter 18-layout based on discussions I had with Jason this past year.

I also like a short course layout combined with a blue layout.... offers a fun/quick side and a challenging side for more advanced players. This really works better IMO on courses that don't get quite as much play. This is the way that I am trying to lay out the course that we are working on in Southern Ohio.

Steady Ed, Red tee layout holes 1-5, 15-18 is a fun 9-hole loop at IDGC. They have been looking at some ideas for a shorter 18-layout based on discussions I had with Jason this past year.

The voice of reason! Chuck, I hope HI is treating you alright. Don't get rolled like Robert Allenby. Keep any eye out for Kenner. I hear he's there, somewhere.

A shorter loop is one thing, but a dedicated short 9 hole course (at a minimum) would be a great asset for the reasons I pointed out above. Not an overlay, not bits and pieces, but a dedicated course to broaden the spectrum of players and be welcoming to all.

I like the short course combined with a blue level course. I believe the value of short courses in general is underestimated. Potential newbies can find a lot more fun on short links than on a full course, and it is a great asset for established players as well for short game work, warm up, mini golf etc.

Totally agree. I got the idea after reading all of the positive reviews of the Blockhouse Tiki course and how it got as much play as their full size courses. Our initial goal was to make a fun course that kids would like and that new players could learn the game on. Some of the holes are designed to practice specific shots like a straight shot, dogleg left, dogleg right, splitter, roller, tunnel shot, sky hyzer, skip shot, etc. Then we bought some big metal animal sculptures and scattered them around the course. And finally we made a bunch of man-made hazards to amp up the fun factor. Things like a hanging basket, a pond, a mando island green, a tee box built on top of an old oak tree, and of course lots of gimmicky targets like a roller ramp, a sunken basket, a lighthouse basket, a basket inside the Alamo, and lots of chutes and ricochet boards.

We've had a few kids test the course out for us and they had a great time playing it as a par 3. The real surprise though is how much the experienced players like playing it as a par 2. Like the Tiki, the baskets are outfitted with solar lights for night rounds. Now we just need to finish it so I can play it more often and get my short game back on track!

As previously mentioned, the Steady Ed layout of a blue course with good short tees is pretty awesome. I've played a ton of rounds with mixed skill levels and the less experienced players are able to really enjoy and appreciate a quality course without getting killed. The Steady Ed short layout isn't perfect but its pretty good. Some of the long pin placements play a little comical from the shorts. Its definitely a style of course design that has a lot of potential.

At some point we're hoping to get baskets in both pin placements on Steady Ed so all layouts can be played.

Please do! We plan to finish the pitch-n-putt by the 3rd weekend in March. The Texas State Disc Golf Team will be running a Birdie Bash on the course that weekend to help support their trip to Nationals in April. Here's a map of the course for reference.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag273/gblambert1/Hilliard Rd/GoldMiniCourseMapv2_zps73345d27.jpg
That looks like a really fun pitch 'n putt. I'm sure when you get it up and running I'll make a road trip to come check it out. When do you think the other course will be completed?

That looks like a really fun pitch 'n putt. I'm sure when you get it up and running I'll make a road trip to come check it out. When do you think the other course will be completed?

We're going to start working on the full size course again in a couple of months and hope to finish 9 holes by mid-summer. We plan to have the final 9 ready by the end of the year. If you're down this way please stop by for a round and let us know how we're doing so far. The address and phone can be found at https://www.facebook.com/flyingarmadillodiscgolf.