• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the most valuable lessons you've learned while disc golfing?

The lessons I've learned:

1.) Keep you private life separate from DG (leave the crap at home and enjoy the course)
2.) Putt with your chin up
3.) When your buddy is peeing in the weeds....always remind him to look out for poison ivy and ticks (buddy of mine got a tick on his man junk and then got poison ivy on his inner thighs while relieving himself)...NO LIE!
4.) always be on the look out for park rangers...those sneaky SOB's are like snipers hiding in the bushes waiting for their kill
5.) We can't let the lefties take over all the courses....they are like Gingers..scary gingers!
6.) start out slow and explode late in the throw
7.) don't try to pet the animals (especially in Texas)
8.) Watch out for the hole on #8....that first step is a doosey!
9.) Surround yourself with friends you can count on and can confide in...
10.) Enjoy yourself and pay no attention to those who are trying to bring you down...they are only unhappy in their own lives.

When faced with the option of two routes, take the shot that you are best at and have the most confidence that you will be able to execute. Then when the round is done, go and practice that other shot until you are just as good and confident with it.

Then the next time you are faced with two routes, take the route with the least risk and resistance (since you are now confident with both shots).

Lessons learned:

It's been reenforced, most lefties are paranoid.
Do NOT pick up that abandoned towel.
I'm happy I got my SCUBA certification in 1990.
If you find a disc you like, it'll have a name on it.
Don't throw any disc with a clear flight plate in the fall.
Accuracy trumps distance.

• And forehand exclusive players are worse!
  • Gross, and why would you? No good can come of that!
  • I love diving, but NOT in the ponds on the courses I play
  • Not true. Found a Champ Eagle-L and a G* Thunderbird in melting snow yesterday. No ink on either, and I've wanted to try both, but didn't want to spend money. In fact, of the 6 discs I found yesterday the only one w/ink was a DX Leopard
  • Or the winter. Or on a shady course. Or when it's cloudy. Or ever really. :D
  • I quoted you because your last point was going to be my lesson.
My other lesson (other than accuracy>distance) is not to get too comfortable. In college I played only one course, and got eaten alive when I played anywhere else. Now I have a buddy I play with who destroys me on 2 local courses, but won't play anywhere else because he gets wrecked when he does. He has two bags, one set up for Alum Creek, the other set up for Brett Hambrick, and has no clue what to do when we make him leave those courses.

My biggest lesson is stop caring if you make a putt or not. That stuff will get in your head so quickly. If it goes in, great, if not, ill make the back putt or get the next one.

My biggest lesson is stop caring if you make a putt or not. That stuff will get in your head so quickly. If it goes in, great, if not, ill make the back putt or get the next one.

I'd probably pitch it like this:

Mentally committing to putting the disc in the basket and doing what you know has to be done to get it in the basket is a big step.

If it doesn't go it, no big deal because you did exactly what you thought needed to be done.

There's nothing worse than pulling up short on a putt because you were afraid of missing. That doesn't mean you blindly blast a death putt at OB from 50' out... it means that you putt like you mean it to slam chains from 20' on that death putt.

That I never play well in tournaments, but I sure make some awesome throws when playing alone.
ALWAYS search DGCR before travelling somewhere new.

Last edited:
Playing disc golf by yourself is cool, but it's much better spending time on the course with a good friend or two.

1. Always assume the restroom is out of toilet paper.
2. Carry toilet paper in your car.

Latest posts