• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What are your favorite discs?

What are your favorite discs?

• Buzzz

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Roc

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Aviar

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • TeeBird

Votes: 49 39.2%
  • Valkyrie

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • Firebird

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Eagle

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Comet

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Leopard

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Nuke

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • River

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Wraith

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Destroyer

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • Ion

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Cyclone

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other - list your disc

Votes: 51 40.8%

• Total voters
Favorites from my bag/collection

Other than the obvious Buzzz Teebird Valkyrie, which I voted.

MVP ATOM - perfect straight flying thrower at short range and for longer putts. great disc

Legacy PATRIOT - it is better than a Leopard - for me

AXIOM WRATH - I'm new to it, but I really like it - fast control, stable, not a beefcake.

STILETTO - because its fast and OS and awesome

Predator, Hornet, Polecat, Zone, Surge, XL.

I didn't vote Nuke, just cuz I'm not a fan of speed 13 discs for beginners, even when they have the arm speed. But... I'll add the Crank. Nice disc with reasonable but not-too-excessive turn, good for FH and BH distance.

Good luck and have fun! Welcome to the sport sorry I was joking around when I said I voted for all. But it's true, I have all of those discs you list and I like them all for different reasons.

Haha no problem! I realized after I posted my question that its like asking me what my favorite camera lens is.

I realize its a really vague question, but its good to get a consensus on what people think is popular... kinda.

So far I have about 15 discs that i have collected for me and my friends to use, but never had a set that was really mine, so im kinda seeing what options there were.

I'll have to play a few rounds in the coming weeks and see which ones i like.

Thanks for everyones input, even though this is kind of a dumb thread.

At this particular moment in weights below 160 grams:

fav putter: wizard
fav mid: m4
fav fairway: teebird
fav utility: firebird
fav distance: destroyer

I saw from one of your old threads that you prefer forehand throws but are learning to backhand. Both throws have their place and if you can perform both throws with proficiency, you will be ahead of the game.

For controlled forehand throws try a Champion Orc. If you are flipping that over too much to the left (for RHFH) throws, then you need to work on your form and keep from rolling your wrist over the top. The Orc should fly very straight with a reliable fade at the end. Watch videos of Nate Sexton throwing FH throws for a good example of what clean form looks like.

For BH throws I still recommend learning to throw a stable midrange such as a Roc3/Buzzz/Truth/Warship/Compass/Ghost and learn how to throw it hard on a flat flat flat release that never goes more than 10 feet above the ground. This is the foundation of a good backhand throw and will set you up for faster drivers as you progress. When you start throwing a mid on line drive laser beams, you will know when you are ready to progress. Hope that helps. For what it's worth, I like the Westside warship the best and I think it's worth while to have like at least 3 mids in the mold of your choice that are similar weight that you can take into a field and throw over and over until you really start to figure out what works best for your throw.

Cheers.

In addition to the Teebird, Valkyrie, and Polecat voted on above:
Polecat
Blowfly
Blowfly II
Axis
Volt
Crave
Mako
Roadrunner
Amp
Resistor
Honorable mention/old favorites being rediscovered:
Mako
Shark
King Cobra
Vector
Anode

Yeah, that's a lot of favorites, so sue me....

Thanks for everyones input, even though this is kind of a dumb thread.

Not that dumb really. I love to read through these types of threads since they always give ideas on a mold you might want to try. For me it was a River. Fell in love the first throw after saw it near the top in I think a thread about best disc for each manufacturer.

My faves I could Consider my bag complete with these
Wizard
Envy
Teebird
River

fav putter: GStar Aviar (putting) Pure (driving)
fav mid: Frost Claymore
fav fairway: Felon -> Seasoned Felon
fav utility: Orbital
fav distance:
Max D VIP Catapult
Max D (headwind) Recycled Giant
Max D (tailwind) Saint

Of any of those I'd recommend the Frost Claymore and the Saint for people just getting started.

Of any of those I'd recommend the Frost Claymore and the Saint for people just getting started.

I forgot about the Claymore. Outstanding.

Which plastic do you like best for the Saint World Eater? I have just started throwing a Saint and I have a relatively flattish Opto Saint that's just about perfect for my noodle arm. I love fluid Escapes and I'm very curious about the Frost Saint as well as the Gold.

Sticking with a superlative take on what 'favorite' should mean, in this case a single disc....

My favorite disc is a first run Z Buzzz. It feels great in the hand, predictable, controllable, shapeable flight. I would use it if I ever played a 1-disc round (if I could get over the thought of beating up my fave disc like that)

My score wouldn't change any if I used it off the tee. A drive and a short approach, versus 2 longer approach type shots, I'll be putting from similar spots after 2.

So many excellent discs on the market it's alot like picking a favorite song. Each throw is different so each throw could produce a favorite disc.
Putter - Ridge
Mid - Ibex
FW - Arch
Drv - Lace

Prodigy & MVP really have some great discs too. If I didn't favor Vibram so much I would likely throw mostly from these two.

Only disc i need to bag is an ion. So there is that :) i do love driving with a proxy too.

Other fast stuff i bag so i hopefully impress the hot girls on the course.

Yeah, Proxy's right up there as a "favorite disc", for me. I use it almost exclusively for all short approach shots, short drives, touch shots. Holds the line like no other, and pretty much money in windy conditions.

Two disc that really changed my game were the Teebird and Roc. I know, boring!

That being said, I don't know if I could choose one over the other seeing how they both get heavy use during a typical round.

Edit: After re-reading the poll I would like to change my answer.

Q: What are your favorite discs? (it's plural, duh)

A: I love all discs equally.

Last edited: