• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What courses would you play in Charlotte, NC

This is the order of courses I would recommend for a >945 rated player.
1. Nevin
2. Renny Gold
3. Hornet's Nest if you want a break or Web for a real challenge.
4. R.L. Smith: This is going to be the most fun course in Charlotte once it gets worn in imo. The ssa will probably end up in the 48-52 range but the elevation makes it a very, very cool course. I think it will probably be my favorite course in Charlotte in another year or two.
5. Eastway: This spot is a tossup between Eastway and the Angry Beaver.

This is the order of courses I would recommend for a <946 rated player.
1. Hornet's Nest. It is challenging but not punishingly so. The favorite course in Charlotte of many intermediate level players.
2. Elon short course/Angry Beaver: Here you have the option of two courses with an ssa difference of around 20. Options :)
3. Eastway: A very fun course with a short and long set of pins/tees. Mostly in the open, this course is a nice opportunity to throw some longer drives or rollers.
4. Renny Black: With an SSA of around 60 I don't recommend this one highly because you have to walk almost the whole Renny Gold layout but you don't get to play the coolest/hardest holes.
5. Nevin: Tough, especially so if you cannot throw accurate shots that finish straight. If your max distance is under 300' skip Nevin unless you don't mind shooting way, way over par. SSA around 65 or so.

^nice list. I agree wholeheartedly but I'd switch Eastway with Angry Beaver for sure on your 5 spot. RL Smith is definitely going to be a good one. I'd mix up your <946 list though, I'd take Renny and Nevin off and put Reedy and Kilborne on there. I've heard good stuff about Scrapyard too.

Rankin and Bradley Center are fun courses in Gastonia too.

This is the order of courses I would recommend for a >945 rated player.
1. Nevin
2. Renny Gold
3. Hornet's Nest if you want a break or Web for a real challenge.
4. R.L. Smith: This is going to be the most fun course in Charlotte once it gets worn in imo. The ssa will probably end up in the 48-52 range but the elevation makes it a very, very cool course. I think it will probably be my favorite course in Charlotte in another year or two.
5. Eastway: This spot is a tossup between Eastway and the Angry Beaver.

This is the order of courses I would recommend for a <946 rated player.
1. Hornet's Nest. It is challenging but not punishingly so. The favorite course in Charlotte of many intermediate level players.
2. Elon short course/Angry Beaver: Here you have the option of two courses with an ssa difference of around 20. Options :)
3. Eastway: A very fun course with a short and long set of pins/tees. Mostly in the open, this course is a nice opportunity to throw some longer drives or rollers.
4. Renny Black: With an SSA of around 60 I don't recommend this one highly because you have to walk almost the whole Renny Gold layout but you don't get to play the coolest/hardest holes.
5. Nevin: Tough, especially so if you cannot throw accurate shots that finish straight. If your max distance is under 300' skip Nevin unless you don't mind shooting way, way over par. SSA around 65 or so.

What if you are less than 900 rated? I guess just buy a basket for the yard and throw at it til you are good enough to play some courses?

You are really big into ratings Im taking it. Arent you the same one that suggested our ratings be posted with our comments so everyone could know whos advice to take and believe? :doh:

I think Whiz was eating too much cheese in a can that day. :sick:

If you are less than 900 though I'm sure you would enjoy Bailey Road.

A lot of players that arent rated 900, still enjoy the same courses that the >950 does. Ive not spoke to anyone that doesnt like Eastway, Hornets Nest, or Renny Gold. My friend is 845 rated and Hornets Nest is always his first choice to play.

Top 5 courses in Charlotte, that I have played:

Hornets Nest
Eastway
Renny
Idlewild (Once teepads are in)
Reedy Creek

Rankin Lake would have taken the 5th spot, but since its in Gastonia I didnt include it.

What if you are less than 900 rated? I guess just buy a basket for the yard and throw at it til you are good enough to play some courses?

You are really big into ratings Im taking it. Arent you the same one that suggested our ratings be posted with our comments so everyone could know whos advice to take and believe? :doh:

I think if you're under 900, you're probably also under 945 and should play those courses.

I thought it was great that someone, answering a question about which courses to play, tailored their answer to different skill levels. It always seems silly to me when someone reflexively answers with the most challenging course in an area, which may be fabulous for some players and horrible for others.

I think if you're under 900, you're probably also under 945 and should play those courses.

I thought it was great that someone, answering a question about which courses to play, tailored their answer to different skill levels. It always seems silly to me when someone reflexively answers with the most challenging course in an area, which may be fabulous for some players and horrible for others.

I think a good course is a good course. Im sure that some rec players, dont enjoy the more challenging courses, just as there is some that do. Same could be said for all skill sets.

To assume what I will and wont enjoy based off my PDGA rating is insulting. With that said, I may be biased towards the poster, because of the stated before. "I need to know peoples ratings to determine if I should use their advice."

I would have phrased it differently, not necessarily using ratings, but I think the concept is fine. I'm an 892-rated player who likes the toughest courses, and could work that out from his post. But I've met a lot of weaker players who feel otherwise, too.

Ratings aren't perfect but they do tell you something. If a 950-rated player wants to visit our course, I know he'll be fine. If an 810-rated player wants to visit, I give him (or her) a description of what they'll encounter and him or her decide.

I would add North Cabaruss. It is a nice 9 holer that tries to compete with Charlotte's big boys. You can play it very quickly if you are driving by. Obviously it is no Renny or Nevin, but if you happen to be close by it is worth a stop.

I would add North Cabaruss. It is a nice 9 holer that tries to compete with Charlotte's big boys. You can play it very quickly if you are driving by. Obviously it is no Renny or Nevin, but if you happen to be close by it is worth a stop.

Seems like North Cabarrus would make a really good warm-up or cool-down after a full day of discing. Next time I'm in Charlotte, I'm playing there.

I've only played one course in Charlotte, but it's one I definitely recommend -- Reedy Creek. I loved the layout, the distances were decent -- the course in general was great.

Going to charlotte this weekend Sept. 11. Looking to play Sunday morning with my wife we are intermediates and don't want to get beat up to bad any suggestions. Our home course is Glenburnie park in New Bern, NC. Also if anyone is interested in showing us around that would be cool.

Last edited:
Reedy Creek is a fun course and there is a league at 10:30 on Sunday morning. Kilbourne, Sugaw and Elon(Eager Beaver) won't beat you up and will offer a challenge.

RL Smith is a new course that is going to be top tier with Renny, Hornets Nest, and Nevin when it's all said and done. It's rough around the edges but still well worth a play IMO. I've also heard great things about Scrapyard/Idlewild.

Reedy Creek is a fun course and there is a league at 10:30 on Sunday morning. Kilbourne, Sugaw and Elon(Eager Beaver) won't beat you up and will offer a challenge.

Sunday morning at reedy there is an am Tourney. Just a heads up. You could get a round in but it might be slow going. It is the first one that I would recommend for someone with a little less skill looking to have a fun round though.

Thanks for the heads up. Is the tournament open to anyone? We are going to try and be at reddy at 8.

Last edited:

Latest posts