• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What disc do you use for long, narrow, straight, tunnel type fairways?

A soft putter (wolito) is a great suggestion.
And Heelboycraig...I love your Fudgie The Whale avatar. That's just briliant.

Back to the thread, I would go with a Rindge or VP and if it's longer than 250' I'll go with a Z Buzz but I wouldn't throw a faster disc than that regardless of distance.

Short tunnel (150-200) = aviar
Medium tunnel (200-300) = Roc
Long tunnel (275+) = Monarch, Roc or possibly Buzzz

The last thing you want to do is throw a fast driver, hit an early tree and be 50+ ft off the fairway. I usually go with mid ranges or fairway drivers if the hole is especially long.

On this hole, I throw my Star Beast, and I can park it most of the time. It goes straight as an arrow:
This is #2 at my home course. Rover Grove Park in Kingwood, TX. This is the course they nickname "Endor"
Hole2.jpg

Check this one out. Believe it or not, I am standing on the tee. The hole is down and one the far left. This hole takes a tight hyzer shot . Its only 255 to the hole, the the tress in the fairway make it much harder. You can see the tree on the right there has been hit a few times. People that have real balls go for the shot straight for the basket through that gap. I have seen it done a couple of times. This is hole #7, same course:

hole7.jpg

Last edited:
@ midknight.

It would take the intervention of god to give me anything under a 7 on that hole :D

That hole is not as hard as you think. Most of the newbies get a 5. I can recall one guy getting a 6 on that hole, but its rare.

I dont think i could predictably hit any line there and would need a nice tree deflection to give me an easier time.

I guess I could just softly toss 50 feet at a time and hope

tunnel shots for me are either a Buzzz or a Stalker. If the tunnel is a little goofy sometimes I throw a forehand roller. especially for the hole that midnight biker posted second

Here in the Pacific Northwest, trees are pretty abundant, and some of the golf courses take advantage of this.
This is #17 at Twin Rivers Disc Golf Course, in Arlington, Washington.
3918911854_de1c23817f.jpg

It's not long, but there really is only one lane between the trees that will successfully get you close to the basket. It follows the path, then goes slightly right, then straight, then left to the basket, through the trees.
The correct path splits trees only 6' apart at some points.
3918911856_700e7878d4.jpg

I finally parked this the other day with a new 166 Star Boss thrown lefthand forehand from a standing start.

Nice pic Midnight (on the previous page). Anyone ever try a 2-finger roller just to get through the gap?
Looks like it's time for a "How would you play this hole" thread.

Latest posts