• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Disc Should I Get?

Which Disc Should I Get?

• Total voters

Nived87

I just started playing disc golf a few weeks ago. Since I just finished my classes and I haven't found a summer job yet, I've been playing a lot.

These are the discs I have:
150g DX Shark
150g DX Aviar P&A
165g Pro-D Soft Magnet

I just lost my 150g DX Leopard. I think I left it laying in the middle of the fairway the other day. :doh: If it doesn't find it's way back to me in the next few days I want to get a new DX Leopard. I want to buy from www.discgolfcenter.com but they have a minimum of $12 order. So I want to get another disc as well. What would be a good disc that would complement the ones I already have?

Also, what weight should I order my new Leopard in?

I would suggest you pick up a couple mids. The two I would recommend would be between a Roc and a buzz. I then might think about a driver Leos, rivers maybe even a Roadrunner. Just make sure it is something easy to throw. What ever you choose just get a couple of the same so you can practice tossing the same disc a couple time from the same tee.

Cheers - Koffee

^this about the roc or buzz...and stick with the leopard and then in a bit work at a teebird or eagle

Star TL, it's stable and will act slightly overstable at first. Seems like that's the case, especially with the most current runs. It will break in to it's advertised ratings with a couple of tree hits and will go well with your DX Leopard. And when both of those start getting flippy, the TL will fill the Leopard's current spot and you could just start cycling in TeeBirds in different stages of wear. That's what I did and it worked well for me!

Try a JLS, Polaris LS, Roadrunner or Sidewinder for your driver.
Try a Roc, Buzz, or Impact for your mid.
Pick a putter that feels good, none are really "better" or worse. Just like one and use it.

Get a 170g (or so) Roc or Buzz to go with another DX Leopard. Consider getting a 160-something Leopard, or just go with the 150g if you're more comfortable with it. I'd skip on the Comet recommendation right now since you already have a Shark. If you find the Shark lacking at some point in the future consider a Comet, they're nice discs.

Get a 170g (or so) Roc or Buzz to go with another DX Leopard. Consider getting a 160-something Leopard, or just go with the 150g if you're more comfortable with it. I'd skip on the Comet recommendation right now since you already have a Shark. If you find the Shark lacking at some point in the future consider a Comet, they're nice discs.

I was going to suggest something along this line. A heavier Buzzz is a great mid for a beginner while a slightly heavier Leopard is also ideal.

Good luck and enjoy the sport!

I like the Skeeter for a beginner disc - great all around disc that's easy to throw straight. If you want a driver, I like Opto River, Champ Leopard or DX Gazelle

I second the DX Banshee for a compliment to your DX Leopard. The beginning of the Banshee's life will teach you how to use stable discs, as well as give you something consistent in the wind. And when it beats in you will have a great straight driver.

Really, just get what you want. Don't get 3-4 putters, let's be realistic. As a new player you won't use putters off the tee on pretty much ever. Even though this will help you in the long run it may also ruin disc golf for you. Seems to be the popular thing lately, suggesting throwing putters for drives for years before you throw drivers. Mind you, a greater majority of the people suggesting doing this didn't do this. They may have done it later once they developed some skill and addiction. Learning what you like and what you don't like is much more important than learning to throw a putter 300'. If you truly love DG you will do what it takes to gain these skills. You were already on the right track with leopards, just might benefit from some extra weight. Try one weighing 165-170.

If you want a good premium plastic disc to learn on you can't do much better than a Star Leopard. Don't expect them to fly like a DX though, they are considerably more stable. After a few weeks of main driver duty (if ya don't lose it) the Star Leopard will be a sweet flier.

^this. Considering the price range, I like the DX Banshee OR the DX Teebird for your setup. IMO you just can't go wrong with a teebird. I've been playing many a moon and the disc has never let me down. However, if you get more than your fair share of windy days on the course you might consider the banshee, or even a DX viper.

Teebird, Leopard, Shark, Aviar. A solid beginner bag

I second the DX Banshee for a compliment to your DX Leopard. The beginning of the Banshee's life will teach you how to use stable discs, as well as give you something consistent in the wind. And when it beats in you will have a great straight driver.

Really, just get what you want. Don't get 3-4 putters, let's be realistic. As a new player you won't use putters off the tee on pretty much ever. Even though this will help you in the long run it may also ruin disc golf for you. Seems to be the popular thing lately, suggesting throwing putters for drives for years before you throw drivers. Mind you, a greater majority of the people suggesting doing this didn't do this. They may have done it later once they developed some skill and addiction. Learning what you like and what you don't like is much more important than learning to throw a putter 300'. If you truly love DG you will do what it takes to gain these skills. You were already on the right track with leopards, just might benefit from some extra weight. Try one weighing 165-170.

I love this post! Buy, a meat hook driver thats going to make the noob OAT that much worse, but DON'T buy 3-4 putters, "Even though this will help you in the long run" :rolleyes:

What if he wants to practice putting? That'd be tremendously frustrating with only two putters of different molds.

He already has two putters, a good mid that flies very similar to a buzzz, and if he is getting a leopard he has a nice straight driver. A dx banshee would be the next step. It is the best first overstable driver and he will be able to use or learn to use it for any shot that needs to finish left as well as learning sidearm and thumbers and tomahawks with it. He asked what disc is going to compliment his other discs the best, not what is your favorite disc like a lot of you are answering nor what is going to make me better. A buzzz is a terrible answer as a shark is very similar. A roc is not different enough for a guy with 4 discs either. If you were trying to complete your bag, I would get a dx banshee.

I 2nd the X Comet. You just cant go wrong with a Comet. Beginner or Pro it is a great disc. I will also help keep your form clean.

Mr. America, OP isn't trying to spend $30 on putters. He just wanted another disc to go along with the leopard because he needed another disc to meet a minimum order price of $12.

Clearly you haven't thrown a DX banshee lately. Meathook diver for about 20 throws, then you have a relatively straight throw with a strong fade. Having a leopard and banshee will cover a wide variety of drives.

As I stated throwing putters off the tee will make you a better thrower in the long run. It's great for developing skills, but it doesn't help you beat your buddies who throw drivers. Why would you want to put yourself at a disadvantage so early into disc golf.

Mr. America, OP isn't trying to spend $30 on putters. He just wanted another disc to go along with the leopard because he needed another disc to meet a minimum order price of $12.

Clearly you haven't thrown a DX banshee lately. Meathook diver for about 20 throws, then you have a relatively straight throw with a strong fade. Having a leopard and banshee will cover a wide variety of drives.

As I stated throwing putters off the tee will make you a better thrower in the long run. It's great for developing skills, but it doesn't help you beat your buddies who throw drivers. Why would you want to put yourself at a disadvantage so early into disc golf.

First of all where did I even say anything about throwing putters off the tee? I love how you say: "throwing putters off the tee will make you a better thrower in the long run. It's great for developing skills, but it doesn't help you beat your buddies who throw drivers." That reads like a contradiction to me.

And depending on the hole, I throw putters all the time off the tee against guys throwing drivers :D

Latest posts